Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Yeah i hear some stories kinda like ours. we lived in base housing and could only put up a chain link fence for the dogs, so thats what we did. our dobe and min pin would like to go out there sev times a day and spend time and do their stuff. I have always been the one to not let barking go on and on in the yard. so i really made sure at night or in the mornings when others could be sleeping. to as soon as i heard a bark it was time to go in. Then one nice day, some new people moved next door. single dad with 2 boys around 12-14yrs old. soon after got themselves a puppy. cute little thing too. anyways it was a mess let me tell you. the never had it on a leash, thats fine but then your dog needs to stay in your yard not all over the block. she got inside my fence with my dogs one time. almost got hit by a car. would go across to bertas yard and poop and go home. they would make her go across the street to poop in darci's yard too but her man was gone so she went back home to visit. so she wasnt there at the time but it was still her place. but would make the dog go in her yard before they would let her go home. hubby went over sometime in the mix that all this happened to talk to the guy. well i dont know if dad wasnt there but the kids came to the door. as my hubby was talking to them, they shut the door in his face. i was like omg. PMO talked to them once and they did get a tie out thing for the dog. and she was pretty little no less. it was cold as hell. back in like end of jan -feb time. left her on the tie out for hours and she just barked and barked and barked for hours, finally jason went next door and said hey man i think your dog wants in. but you cant tell me they didnt hear the damn dog themselves!

so thankfull we moved!!!

· Registered
255 Posts
We lived in cherry point housing. says your not supposed to have them on tie outs there either. but that dont stop people from doing so. mainly small dogs though. But thats funny cause i would say the same thing....if your gonna let it do whatever and leave it out all the time why do you even have the damn dog!!

· Registered
3,571 Posts
Poor puppy being left out like that in the cold weather. :( I hate seeing animals like that. My friend lives next to a guy that has 2 german short hairs. He has them in a kennel in the back of his yard 24/7, 364 days of the year. Rain or snow. It can get pretty cold. I always feel so bad for them. His excuse is that they are hunting dogs and they need to be used to the weather. I can see that, but they are dogs and pack animals. They need human contact. Why get them? He competes with them and when he finally lets them loose, they are all over the neighborhood. One got hit by a car and dented the side panel of the car. OTOH, they don't bark constantly. :) But they do whine when they see people outside. I think that is almost worse than hearing a dog bark at you. Seeing their faces stare at you and whine. It is heartbreaking. I try not to go onto the back porch as much as possible so I don't have to see it. The pooing in other peoples yards in rude too. Not very friendly of them.

· Registered
76 Posts
we moved as a person three doors down said they could hear me feed my dogs in the mornings outside the bowls rattled on the floor ,they had the council out to us ,they complained while i went out the dogs were shut in doors then when i left a door open (as very private garden ) they made to much noise when someone came down the road ,her husband worked nights she even complained if we lawn mowed before her husband went to work 7pm. now live 5 miles from anywhere.
wilmitch

· Banned
6,744 Posts
DD..I know what you mean about hunting dogs. My dad is a big time hunter, and last year I asked him why he has never had hunting dogs. (He has a mini daschund that is about 100 years old) His response was "I have friends who have them, they are nice to have, but I refuse to do what you have to do to have them" He basically explained to me that you have to keep interaction with them to a minimum, you have to board them, and send them away for months at a time for training during "off season" they cant be like a normal pet. "Hey Rover lets go to the post office" And who would want to have an animal like that. I know people do, but I am glad that my dad never did. I think he thinks its cruel.

· Registered
134 Posts
I guess I'd ask, would you put something like this on your kids? You have dogs, dogs bark. That is the way it is. I would NEVER use a shock collar or get anything done to him to stop him from barking.

There are things you can work with your dogs on to break them of this, but there will never be 100% silence.

Do the dogs stay outside all night & bark the entire time they are out? If not, then there is no reason for your neighbor to be worrying about it. I'd say from 8 am to 9 pm, there is no reason for any neighbor to be upset over a barking dog. That is like being upset over playing children or you working in your garage. I'm glad my neighborhood has lots of big dogs. Not an issue for me.

· Registered
134 Posts
BackInBlack said:
DD..I know what you mean about hunting dogs. My dad is a big time hunter, and last year I asked him why he has never had hunting dogs. (He has a mini daschund that is about 100 years old) His response was "I have friends who have them, they are nice to have, but I refuse to do what you have to do to have them" He basically explained to me that you have to keep interaction with them to a minimum, you have to board them, and send them away for months at a time for training during "off season" they cant be like a normal pet. "Hey Rover lets go to the post office" And who would want to have an animal like that. I know people do, but I am glad that my dad never did. I think he thinks its cruel.

I guess I'd disagree with this totally. My parents have 2 neighbors that have hunting dogs. They don't get sent away or boarded. They also get treated like pets. When the dogs aren't hunting, the owners take them out & work them. By my parents house, there is a little field & a river. Both of these dogs have decoys they chase around the field & into the river. They don't get walks, but they are working for at least 1 hour a day. Most dogs don't get hour long walks. People that send their dogs away when it isn't hunting season don't belong having them. Part of the owners resposibility is to work the dog. I'd say this sounds the same as someone who doesn't walk their dog ever & then wonder why he is always barking & running around & digging. Dogs need exercise. Dogs need training. It's good for them.

· Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
SamHayne said:
I guess I'd ask, would you put something like this on your kids? You have dogs, dogs bark. That is the way it is. I would NEVER use a shock collar or get anything done to him to stop him from barking.

Samhayne, let me put your mind at ease LOL no I would never put anything on my kids or my dogs like a shock collar. The item I was refering to is a box that you put outside and when they bark it emits something like a silent dog whistle sound that only they can hear,it suppose to distract them and prevent barking!!

I agree, I don't expect them to silent, they in their barking let me know whats's going on outside. They bark when dogs and cats are on the otherside of the fence.

No they live indoors, but they are allowed to go out when they please. The night she called was around 8:30. I brought them in.

· Registered
134 Posts
Gotcha. I never heard of that, but I have heard of the collars & ever surgery to make dogs stop barking. INSANE!!

· Banned
675 Posts
It's not insane. Many jurisdictions have ordinances against nuisance barking. Nuisance barking is usually defined as continuous barking for a period of time.

I've been thrut this twice with different dogs, once when I left the back door open every day for a week so two Dobermans could go in and out to relieve themselves because I had a class after work. Someone filed a barking complaint with the authorities and I had to stop leaving the door open for the dogs.

The second time was years later with a different Doberman who was left in the house while I was at work. Again someone complained to the authorities, and the authorities won't tell you who complained because they don't want feuds going on. The complaint was that my dog was barking during the day. I parked across the street one morning and waited and sure enough about 10 minutes after I "left" he started barking.

You can be fined and/or be ordered to get rid of the barking dogs in some jurisdictions. Some define nuisance barking as any barking, even if it's sporadic, some define it as continuous, non stop barking for an hour or more.

I had a rescue foster debarked once because he was in a position where he had nowhere else to go and I couldn't keep him around barking the way he was. jThe dog himself never seemed to notice the difference, kept right on barking, and eventually his bark came about halfway back but by that time he'd been adopted and was living in the country.

· Registered
3,571 Posts
It is true about the ordinances. I think I mentioned them before with where I lived previously and the neighbors. The ordinance there was barking for 10 minutes was enough. Mostly continuously. I knew the dogs weren't dogs weren't barking because when I would let them out to go potty, they would maybe bark once or twice at squirrels or rabbits. The humane society would sit and watch this also to make sure. People do use these for their benefit if they choose to. It happens everywhere. And they don't tell you who is reporting the person. I was tired of it and started asking questions of neighbors. All of who had no problems but one. The insane part comes when people go out and debark their dogs so people don't know they have dogs. I saw a house that did that to 3 rotties. They would go to the fence and growl at you. But you couldn't hear it. That is what was insane. They would gloat that they didn't want to robbers to know that they had them waiting for them. Sad.

· Banned
675 Posts
I would rather have the robbers hear the dogs bark and know there were big dogs there, because that way the robbers might decide not to try my house. I would also like time to call 911, which a barking dog coud give me time to do.

· Registered
3,571 Posts
I agree. I thought it was a sick disgrace and abuse to the dogs. There was no need for it.

· Registered
134 Posts
well I think training is better then "debarking" a dog. My dog only barks when another dog is walking past our yard or when a rabbit gets in the yard. If a dog is barking non stop, then there is an issue, lack of exercise, lack of training, etc. I would never have any surgery done to make a dog not bark. I'd rather not own one then do something like that.

· Banned
675 Posts
you'd rather not own the dog. The dog was found and impounded as a stray. A woman saw him at the kill shelter, took pity on him, and bailed him out, thinking she could get one of her friends to adopt him. She couldn't. She kept him for several weeks, living outside, until her husband told her he had to go immediately. She called me. I told her I didn't have room as I already had a rescue foster plus my own dogs. She threatened that if I didn't take him that day she would return him to the pound. So I took him. He was underweight and covered in fleas. I took him to a grooming shop and gave him a bath and flea dip before I would even let him in my house.

Then it took a whole year to find a qualified adopter for him. He had nowhere else to go but to stay with me. You would refuse to own him, what were his alternatives. He's the only dog I hever had debarked, I don't llike debarking, I gave it a lot of thought, and his alternatives were basically debarking or death. I decided he would prefer to live.

· Registered
4,176 Posts
I've only known one dog that was debarked. It was a lab that frequently boarded at a kennel that I worked at. The only time this dog did not bark constantly was when someone was touching him. His case was much like the one Micdobe described. His owners had brought him in as a foster - if they hadn't taken him, he certainly would have been pts. Given that they were military and we literally live on top of each other in base housing, they simply could not have a dog that barked constantly. They worked with him to the best of their ability to train him to not bark so much but the clock was ticking, it was either the surgery or death - they opted for the surgery.
He could still bark, he was just very hoarse - and he never seemed bothered by it.
I'm not an advocate for debarking, I think it is a procedure that is abused to some extent but if I had a dog and had only 2 choices, death or debark, I would debark.

Nuicance barking is one of my biggest pet peeves. My neighbors dogs will bark if they see me through my windows or sliding glass back door. Their owners seldom do anything and when they do do something, they yell at them which doesn't work and is just as irritating as the barking. Everyone around us (me included) have out patio sets in our front yards because if anyone goes behind the building, no if anyone thinks about going behind the building the dogs go nuts. Jordan and her friends can't jump on the trampoline because the dogs are just too loud, I can't sit on my back patio and have a drink while I watch the sunset unless I want to listen to them... Like Kim's situation, I can't leave my dogs out because their dogs get my dogs going. It's a pain in the arse.

Chi gets pretty vocal when we play chase or hide and seek in the house and it doesn't bother me so much but I do understand that just because it doesn't bother me doesn't mean that it doesn't bother those around us - so, when she gets too worked up, the game has to end. (Unless of course I'm completely irritated with my neighbors and their yappy hounds, then I might let her go on for a few minutes just to give them a taste of their own medicine :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.