Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
675 Posts
I don't know who is or isn't being accomodating. How much time do the dogs spend out in the yard? Are they there when you aren't home? If you are home, are you out in the yard with the dogs?

Given how people are these days I don't want fights with the neighbors over barking dogs. My dogs don't spend much time in the yard. The Doberman is 10 months old and if he starts barking out there and doesn't stop after a couple of barks I bring him in.

· Banned
675 Posts
It's not insane. Many jurisdictions have ordinances against nuisance barking. Nuisance barking is usually defined as continuous barking for a period of time.

I've been thrut this twice with different dogs, once when I left the back door open every day for a week so two Dobermans could go in and out to relieve themselves because I had a class after work. Someone filed a barking complaint with the authorities and I had to stop leaving the door open for the dogs.

The second time was years later with a different Doberman who was left in the house while I was at work. Again someone complained to the authorities, and the authorities won't tell you who complained because they don't want feuds going on. The complaint was that my dog was barking during the day. I parked across the street one morning and waited and sure enough about 10 minutes after I "left" he started barking.

You can be fined and/or be ordered to get rid of the barking dogs in some jurisdictions. Some define nuisance barking as any barking, even if it's sporadic, some define it as continuous, non stop barking for an hour or more.

I had a rescue foster debarked once because he was in a position where he had nowhere else to go and I couldn't keep him around barking the way he was. jThe dog himself never seemed to notice the difference, kept right on barking, and eventually his bark came about halfway back but by that time he'd been adopted and was living in the country.

· Banned
675 Posts
I would rather have the robbers hear the dogs bark and know there were big dogs there, because that way the robbers might decide not to try my house. I would also like time to call 911, which a barking dog coud give me time to do.

· Banned
675 Posts
you'd rather not own the dog. The dog was found and impounded as a stray. A woman saw him at the kill shelter, took pity on him, and bailed him out, thinking she could get one of her friends to adopt him. She couldn't. She kept him for several weeks, living outside, until her husband told her he had to go immediately. She called me. I told her I didn't have room as I already had a rescue foster plus my own dogs. She threatened that if I didn't take him that day she would return him to the pound. So I took him. He was underweight and covered in fleas. I took him to a grooming shop and gave him a bath and flea dip before I would even let him in my house.

Then it took a whole year to find a qualified adopter for him. He had nowhere else to go but to stay with me. You would refuse to own him, what were his alternatives. He's the only dog I hever had debarked, I don't llike debarking, I gave it a lot of thought, and his alternatives were basically debarking or death. I decided he would prefer to live.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.