Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...she licked the stitches out of the tails on all her puppies. Any advice on how to keep her from licking the stitches? The puppies are getting restitched tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
don't worry too much about them, and I would not restitch. They will close on their own, and you fix any issues when they are cropped. Just keep the box very clean

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I want to restitch them because I don't want their tails tips to not have hair. Spent the money to dock their tails, I want them to look right.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
In my first litter, my bitch opened up the tails of all 5 puppies. 4 of them healed on their own perfectly, and the 5th had some scar tissue that was removed at ear cropping - that 5th is my Harvard. If you have them restitched, chances are she will pull them out again. JMHO

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Are you having them croped by the vet who did your girl's ears? If so and if any are messed up then he can fix them at crop time.

BTW, you should be responsible for the crops and redocks if they are needed. It is part of being a breeder.

I agree with the others. Don't restitch them.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
I want to restitch them because I don't want their tails tips to not have hair. Spent the money to dock their tails, I want them to look right.
Leave them alone. Redo them when you have the ears cropped. If the bitch licked them open once she will do again. NO neosporin or anything else. If you put something on the tails she will only lick them MORE.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Just a statement, but its pretty sad when wz byb comes here for help!:laughing:

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Here's something helpful for ya:

You shouldn't be breeding a Z factored dog. I think I mentioned this to you in January. Ethical breeders do not breed Z dogs. Period.

It is pretty sad when instead of posting something helpful you have to spew out comments like above to make you feel better about yourself.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
It is pretty sad when instead of posting something helpful you have to spew out comments like above to make you feel better about yourself.
Actually, Linda's comment was very helpful...as comic relief/stress valve, to those of us who are rescuers who are sick and tired of breeders like you who don't really know what they are doing, yet barge right ahead and breed your animals.

If you've truly health tested both parents of this litter, please provide a link to their results in the OFA database.

If you've done anything with them at all, besides producing more puppies--why don't you have a mentoring and support system with folks you show and compete with?

Why haven't you studied about all this stuff for YEARS with a great mentor, BEFORE bringing a litter into this world and risking your girl and all the pups, and risking heartache for the potential buyers of these pups?

Instead, you need to come ask strangers on an internet forum?

What will you say when one or more of your puppy buyers calls you in a panic, with an emergency situation with one of the pups? Oh wait, let me go google or post on DT...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If people never asked questions this forum wouldn't exist. Get off your high horse and be useful to the purpose of this thread. Actually nevermind.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Ahhh come on...I need you to stay. What was the funniest was you arguing with the good advice from an experienced show breeder you got. You wanted your moneys worth out of that dock fee!:laughing: Always about money with byb. Notice you took the vom Cloud out of your girls name. Our memories are better than that. Look at my dog....... dont you wish you could use him? Too much! Yeah, probably so.....forgive me good DT peeps.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It isn't about the money, it is about it looking right. Obviously I do not mind spending the money to have it restitched. I also took her age out, but since you are so interested in my fine looking dog you can keep track of her age yourself.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Molly von Cloud Born May 15, 2009

How bad do you think our memories are? Because I haven't been on here in over 12 hours and I remember that, as well as her lack of being in the ofa database or any other one, and lack of titles listed on akc........And it's got nothing to do with her look and everything to do with her pedigree and your byb breeding practice.

This is just as sad and frustrating as the lady on the dobe club of america fb page bitching about not getting a longevity certificate because her Breeding! Dog is white factored........UHG!

Oh! and since you asked, leave the tails alone, the more you mess with them the more she will too.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I'm just trying to keep my thoughts on this breeder and the pedigree of her bitch out of it - there are puppies to consider and as someone who has 2 week old puppies myself, I have to put their wellbeing first right now. I'd rather she come to DT to ask a question than do something that is not in the best interest of the puppies. JMHO

So to the OP - ask away, but be prepared to listen to the advice given to you. The person that told me to leave the tails open has been docking tails for decades and knows what she is talking about - vets that know her defer to her (she is a vet tech) on docking and dewclaw removal. Bitches opening up tail docks is really common - and as bad as it looks, it does not seem to bother the puppies. Most of them will close perfectly fine. Restitching could make it even worse. I crop all of my puppies - so fixing some scar tissue is not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts