Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone im a first time user and need help... we had our first litter of dobes.. 12 in total... our vet did our tail dock at 24 hours old but momma keeps chewing the stitches out!!!! i havent heard of anyone having this problem so i have no advice on how to fix it.. if i can.. pups are 5 days old now, but iv been to the vet 5 times in 3 days to get pups restitched!!! my wife is now of work and tending to pups 24/7.... only giving pups to momma every 2-3 hours to feed... she is a great momma just keeps licking the tail dock and chewing stitches out... if this is our only option so be it... but if anyone can offer advice or a solution it would be greatly appreciated...also my vet has not had this problem before either, so any advice appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Damn, I'm too slow on the iPad lol.

I have a question, is it healthy to keep pups and mothers separated at such an early age?
I was wondering the same thing. Resoundingly, the last thread's advice was to leave them be.. I'd just put them back with mom if shes being a good mother. You can worry about fixing the tails (if needed) when they're cropped.

Reactions: miker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am greatful for your advice.. this is my first litter... if this is a common thing my vet should have told me, i was unaware... so should i take everyones advice and just let them be?? im just conserned about the wellbeing of our puppies.....

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
The vet should not have done them at only 24 hours old. They should really be 3 days old. Put the pups back with mom and leave the tails alone. If there is a lot of skin hanging, have the vet clip it off and then just leave the tails open. If they scar, have them fixed when you get the babies ears cropped. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THE TAILS, any ointments, medications, etc will only cause her to lick them more. Keeping the pups away from her will only make her stress more and lick more. Just leave them alone and let them heal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all your replies i will let them be.... i was just conserned about pups... you all took a huge stress off my chest.... so this is normal?... i was unaware of this happening.. i am taking your advise and letting pups be with momma, licking or not... is there anything i should be conserned about with tails.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I had this problem with a small litter, mom had nothing to do with just 2 pups, we sprayed the tails with bitter apple, had to do it every couple of hours but it did slow her down.
Miker, where in Canada are you?

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Bitter apple is an alcohol based product so it will really sting on open wounds. It also evaporates really quickly because of this so would have to be applied frequently. That's why most people that use it to correct chewing say it doesn't work, they don't apply it frequently enough. I wouldn't recommend using it on open tails though.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My last girls mother split the stitches to, they were redone but they did not leave enough skin so on her 6 hour car trip over to me she licked her tail, tail split open and bone was sticking out when she arrived. Vet couldnt stitch tail as not enough skin left so they redocked her a length shorter which was ok because my breeder liked them longer (I like them shorter NOT weim style). She was in a collar for a couple of weeks but she quickly outgrew it and licked her tail constantly to the point where it split again..(even after putting ice gel on the base of her spine to deter her and pepper etc). I ended up leaving it. Her tail turned out perfectly at around 4 months but it was an ordeal and I freaked out nearly every day. Moral of the story is that they are young and leaving them alone they should heal pretty darn fast, I'd be concerned if they were 8 weeks but yeah.

Question.. would it be worth using a soft muzzle on the mother when the op cannot supervise or is this the dumbest idea ever?

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
Question.. would it be worth using a soft muzzle on the mother when the op cannot supervise or is this the dumbest idea ever?
Well, the dam is just doing her job although she's being overzealous about it. She is supposed to stimulate the puppies to urinate and defecate so you DO want her able to do that. I personally don't think a muzzle is a good idea at all, and would be extremely frustrating for the bitch.

When I have new puppies, I make sure one of us is with them until their stitches are out, period. If I need to step away to the bathroom or to do something briefly, the bitch comes with me. I just don't give them the opportunity to do any real damage to the tails. I allow them to do their job and if it seems to be going too far, I tell them to leave it and fortunately, I usually have trained a fairly good leave it command prior.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Well, the dam is just doing her job although she's being overzealous about it. She is supposed to stimulate the puppies to urinate and defecate so you DO want her able to do that. I personally don't think a muzzle is a good idea at all, and would be extremely frustrating for the bitch.

When I have new puppies, I make sure one of us is with them until their stitches are out, period. If I need to step away to the bathroom or to do something briefly, the bitch comes with me. I just don't give them the opportunity to do any real damage to the tails. I allow them to do their job and if it seems to be going too far, I tell them to leave it and fortunately, I usually have trained a fairly good leave it command prior.
This.

Part and parcel of raising a litter properly. You have to be able to invest extra time if needed or get someone to come that you trust. My last litter I hired a friend who sat all day with the pups while I was at work. Bitches do this stuff all the time. I agree that a muzzle is not a goid idea.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
This.

Part and parcel of raising a litter properly. You have to be able to invest extra time if needed or get someone to come that you trust. My last litter I hired a friend who sat all day with the pups while I was at work. Bitches do this stuff all the time. I agree that a muzzle is not a goid idea.
That's what I did with the giant schnauzer litter I helped with, spent all day while breeder was at work watching puppies :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts