Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I already know the answer to this one, my husband and I definitely want to have more than one dobe. He would like a pair of males.

I have always heard that two males in the same house leads to trouble. A friend of his had two male dobes, but I am still skeptical. he says that there is no trouble if you bring the second one in as a puppy.

I know a bunch of you have more than one, do any of you have more than one male? I am very curious about this.

THANKS!
cc

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Its down to luck i think, i have all females in my pack and i can see problems arising there with Tia as she keeps pushing her luck with the alpha who is Amber as she matures its possible she will try to oust Amber.
Breeders that i have regular contact with say female domination fights can be worse than male ones!
If you intend to introduce another male then it would be better to bring in a puppy and slowly bring them together, at the end of the day its down to personality and every dobe i have had has been different.
Look at the picture below Amber is the stone face on the far right Chelsie is the sheepish one far left Tia is the troublemaker in the middle!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes you can see Tia trying Amber even now lol good luck in the future.
I had two bitches that wouldn't get along also. I didn't even try two dogs.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
the person we got Duchess from that had the stud...she has like 9 male dobes...and they seem fine...at the training facility sometimes like two were playing in the fenced in yard..I don't know how she does it though. lol
Sometimes I think Duchess likes girl dogs more! lol she has met a couple males that seem to want to "get busy" and she gets overwhelmed with the attention she gets lol. she says "step back! I know what your intentions are!"

·
Super Moderator
15,665 Posts
I think the outcome will be determined by the extent of socialization of each dog and his pecking order. There HAS to be one dominant male; however, it's worth a try in my opinion.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Of all the stuff I read and listening to stories from other boards, two males in a household is not a good idea. 9 out of 10 times it does not work. Most stories I heard are where everything is great until a few years later and suddenly they can not stand being in the same room with each other. I am not sure what it is, but it seems they want to kill each other. It would be an awful shame if this happens, especially since it happens after a few years of them being together and then what do you do. If you have a big enough house and can keep each of them separated then or do you decide which one has to go. At my doberman experience level, I would have to say try to avoid this and get a female instead. I'm planning of adding another doberman in the future, because I want a pair too.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I'd recommend a male and a female instead. Notoriously, male on male with dobes doesn't work. I'm sure in many cases it does... I had a GS and Dobe male at one time, and they were fine together. But it pays to play it safe also.

G

·
2 dobes

My two girls are 3years old Gracie and 10 weeks old Maddie. I play referee all day long and although it's fun sometimes its also exhausting. Maddie is the toy stealer and its my belief that she aggravates poor Gracie every chance she gets. I hoped that they would bond quickly but it's been five weeks and I wouldn't dare leave them alone. Good luck with that decision though. All the nice folks on here assured me that Grace would adjust. I just take my valium and wait!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have 2 females, and they are a year apart in age. Both are spayed,and we ALL know which is the alpha of the two, so we dont have any problems. My sister in law, on the other hand, had a litter 2 years ago, kept the mom and 3 littermates, one female and 2 males. The males got along GREAT while they were babies, but then when they got to be about 18 months old or so, they would both fight to become the dominant male! They fought everytime they were in a room together! The worst part of the whole scenerio is that my sister in law doesnt do any kind of obedience training with any of her dogs! Arrrrgggghhhh! She irritates me to death about that! They think that if their dogs will 'sit' or 'go lay down' when they yell a command at them long enough to get results, tha's just fine! Anyway, back to 2 males in the same house: I wouldnt recommend it, but if you do, be sure to have some obedience training!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too would suggest a male/female.
I currently have 2 boys, both are under the age of 3. My Clifford is very easy going, Chopper my foster is a HUGE WIMP! If Clifford even looks at Chopper funny, Chopper falls to the ground. Choppper will not challenge Clifford. Chopper has always been around boys.
I think it really depends on the dogs. I just think better safe then sorry. Like I said, I would suggest male/female.
I am condisedring keeping Chopper, one thing holding me back is having 2 boys, all is good now, but will the future hold???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts