Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,426 Posts
Okay, so I'm obviously not very educated on heartworm drugs...we've always used interceptor because that's what the vet prescribed. Looking at the comparisons between the different heartworm drugs, I'm not sure *why* that would be preferred, or why Sentinel is better, or...?

We do a separate flea treatment (Frontline Plus), so do I actually need interceptor, or would Iverheart be just as good?

Help me understand!

Reactions: Leliel

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Okay, so I'm obviously not very educated on heartworm drugs...we've always used interceptor because that's what the vet prescribed. Looking at the comparisons between the different heartworm drugs, I'm not sure *why* that would be preferred, or why Sentinel is better, or...?

We do a separate flea treatment (Frontline Plus), so do I actually need interceptor, or would Iverheart be just as good?

Help me understand!
Sentinel IS Interceptor with Flea Prevention added. So if you were using Sentinel you would not need the separate flea treatment. On Interceptor you would.

Neither one is manufactured anymore. Milbemycin Oxime was the active ingredient for heartworm prevention in both. Lufenuron was added to Sentinel for flea control.

Iverhart is similar to Interceptor in that it does heartworms but NOT fleas. So on it you would want to keep the separate flea treatment.

Active ingredients are Ivermectin and Pyrantel.

Trifexis is similar to Sentinel, still uses Milbemycin Oxime for heartworm control but uses Spinosad instead of Lufenuron for flea control.

I've never ordered from Heartworm Preventative Medicine for Dogs and Cats - 1800PetMeds but I am really appreciating their comparison charts and ingredient breakdowns.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts

Help me understand!
I prefer Interceptor because 1) We've recently had to deal with whipworms and it's the only heartworm preventative that covers them (besides Trifexis) 2) It's been on the market a long time and has a great track record re: safety, and 3) I really like that it's just one ingredient. I'm a minimalist when it comes to pesticides and my pets.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Ive been using Comfortis. I don't administer flea prevention monthly though. Mine haven't been on flea control since last summer. I check them regularly for flea dirt and fleas and there hasn't been any, so no extra medicating if not necessary.
Thanks!

I really like this approach in general (don't fix what ain't broke!), but we have so many fleas around here and with the mild winter we had I'm expecting this summer will be terrible insect-wise - I'd prefer not to wait til I see a problem.

And if I can prevent Delta from bringing them in, I can avoid having to put anything on the ferrets at all. They are so small and so few things are verified to be safe for them!

Reactions: ZeldaRules

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
I prefer Interceptor because 1) We've recently had to deal with whipworms and it's the only heartworm preventative that covers them (besides Trifexis) 2) It's been on the market a long time and has a great track record re: safety, and 3) I really like that it's just one ingredient
But it's not made anymore. What are you planning to use when your current stash runs out?

·
Super Moderator
23,426 Posts
Sentinel IS Interceptor with Flea Prevention added. So if you were using Sentinel you would not need the separate flea treatment. On Interceptor you would.

Neither one is manufactured anymore. Milbemycin Oxime was the active ingredient for heartworm prevention in both. Lufenuron was added to Sentinel for flea control.

Iverhart is similar to Interceptor in that it does heartworms but NOT fleas. So on it you would want to keep the separate flea treatment.

Active ingredients are Ivermectin and Pyrantel.

Trifexis is similar to Sentinel, still uses Milbemycin Oxime for heartworm control but uses Spinosad instead of Lufenuron for flea control.

I've never ordered from Heartworm Preventative Medicine for Dogs and Cats - 1800PetMeds but I am really appreciating their comparison charts and ingredient breakdowns.
Thanks - that's helpful. I was looking at the comparison charts, too. I guess I'm debating whether just going to Iverheart would be okay. I don't know enough about the different ingredients to judge them. I will obviously talk to my vet, too.

I prefer Interceptor because 1) We've recently had to deal with whipworms and it's the only heartworm preventative that covers them (besides Trifexis) 2) It's been on the market a long time and has a great track record re: safety, and 3) I really like that it's just one ingredient. I'm a minimalist when it comes to pesticides and my pets.
This makes a lot of sense - thanks. I don't think I need to be worried about whipworms, but I suspect your first two reasons are why my vet prefers it. I'm with you on reason three - I try to keep our "drugs" to a minimum, if possible.

I'll have to talk with my vet about what to do. I have a couple of months stocked up of Interceptor, but if they don't start production soon we'll be out and we'll have to switch to something else.

·
Super Moderator
23,426 Posts
But it's not made anymore. What are you planning to use when your current stash runs out?
I was under the impression that Novartis was still planning to resume production at some point. Has that changed?

·
Super Moderator
23,426 Posts
Production has been temporarily suspended. The Novartis line of preventatives has not been discontinued. I have enough for 18 months.
Wow - nice stockpile!

Reactions: wantsaDobe

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,015 Posts
Meadowcat, Iverheart and Heartguard are both Ivermectin. If you get the Plus version, it has pyrantal added. There is also an Iverheart Max, which is ivermectin, pyrantal and praziquantal. I use Iverheart Plus for my dogs, Advantix for fleas and mosqiotoes.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
I was under the impression that Novartis was still planning to resume production at some point. Has that changed?
The original announcement in December said they expected to know by the end of January when (ref.) they could anticipate resuming production.
  • It's now mid-May and I can't find any mention of updates from Novartis (other than the existing back stock they sold off in February) that suggest they have a plan to resume production.
  • The Lincoln plant isn't marked on their web site's map anymore, and I can't find anywhere suggesting that they plan to move production to other plants either.
  • Their FAQ on the issue is still up and indicates they still intend to resume production - but there's no date on it. It very much looks like it may not been updated since January.
  • Sentinelpet.com is also still an active site, though the rebate offer listed there expired 1/31/12.

So, no, I don't necessarily know that that's changed any. I'm just far less optimistic about it than I was several months ago, and not willing to bank on their return at this point.

Production has been temporarily suspended. The Novartis line of preventatives has not been discontinued. I have enough for 18 months.
Very nice! If I were sitting on that sort of stash I would definitely be more willing to wait and see. ;)

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
There was another communication in March. Not very helpful but, there was one...

March 16, 2012
Dear Valued Customer:
Many of you have asked for regular communications about the current and anticipated availability of
Novartis Animal Health products coming out of our Lincoln, NE plant. We are committed to keeping you
informed and will do our best to provide updates on our progress to date. We understand that this update
may not answer many of the questions you have. Nonetheless, we felt it was important to offer the latest
on the situation and will continue to do so as solutions become clearer.
The production halt has created a back-order situation for many of our veterinary customers and we have
not been able to meet all of the demand. We realize that the temporary interruption in product availability
has created significant challenges for practices and pet owners who rely on Novartis Animal Health
products, and we deeply regret the inconvenience this has caused you. We are continuing to work to
support the needs of your practice and to ensure our brands reach as many patients as possible during
this temporary period.
With respect to resumed production at our Lincoln facility, Novartis teams have been working around the
clock to build new production schedules for our veterinary products. Given the large number of lines and
products manufactured in Lincoln, however, the exact timelines remain uncertain. We hope to be able to
give you a definitive date for a restart within the next few weeks, and we will update you as soon as that
information is available.
As partners in animal health, we recognize that you have to make business decisions that put pet health
first, and we will do our best to work with you to find solutions to meet the needs of your practices and
your patients. Our ultimate commitment to our valued customers is having the best, sustainable solutions
in place for you for the long term.
We greatly appreciate your continued patience and support during this temporary period and look forward
to fully supplying your product needs in the future.
Thank you for your continued trust and partnership,
Rick Lloyd Jim Blacka, DVM
General Manager, Novartis Animal Health North America Vice President, Sales

I called Novartis last week and was told to call back in four weeks for a possible estimate on when production will begin. Hopefully I remember to follow up and will keep you all posted. I'm sure it will be a long, drawn out process but I'm hopeful that they will return.

We had something similar happen with DVM pharmaceuticals. I believe they were gone for close to two years, but they came back!

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Our vet switched to trifexis when the sentinel was unavailable, and we have had no issues with it at all. It is the product closest to what we were using and our vet was confident in it so that is what we went to. I like that I dont have to wait til after a meal to give it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.