Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
Saw this in my Whole Dog Journal update. I've called in for a refill from my vet. I'm a bit nervous about a shortage.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
I talked with my vet yesterday and she's investigated this. She said they anticipate being up and running for production by the end of the month and there should not be any shortages. My vet in particular has a large stock of Interceptor (which is what we use) and should have enough on hand for all clients for quite a few months. I'm stocked for the next couple of months already, but am going to pick up enough for an additional few months just to be safe. My vet said since this is voluntary and not a quality control type of issue she's not particularly worried. As an aside, she said they are seeing a lot of shortages in other drugs right now. As an example, she is not able to get valium at all right now for any reason for clinic patients.

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
My vet ran out of their huge Interceptor supply. We've been switched to Sentinel, I think.

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
Okay, so I'm obviously not very educated on heartworm drugs...we've always used interceptor because that's what the vet prescribed. Looking at the comparisons between the different heartworm drugs, I'm not sure *why* that would be preferred, or why Sentinel is better, or...?

We do a separate flea treatment (Frontline Plus), so do I actually need interceptor, or would Iverheart be just as good?

Help me understand!

Reactions: Leliel

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
Sentinel IS Interceptor with Flea Prevention added. So if you were using Sentinel you would not need the separate flea treatment. On Interceptor you would.

Neither one is manufactured anymore. Milbemycin Oxime was the active ingredient for heartworm prevention in both. Lufenuron was added to Sentinel for flea control.

Iverhart is similar to Interceptor in that it does heartworms but NOT fleas. So on it you would want to keep the separate flea treatment.

Active ingredients are Ivermectin and Pyrantel.

Trifexis is similar to Sentinel, still uses Milbemycin Oxime for heartworm control but uses Spinosad instead of Lufenuron for flea control.

I've never ordered from Heartworm Preventative Medicine for Dogs and Cats - 1800PetMeds but I am really appreciating their comparison charts and ingredient breakdowns.
Thanks - that's helpful. I was looking at the comparison charts, too. I guess I'm debating whether just going to Iverheart would be okay. I don't know enough about the different ingredients to judge them. I will obviously talk to my vet, too.

I prefer Interceptor because 1) We've recently had to deal with whipworms and it's the only heartworm preventative that covers them (besides Trifexis) 2) It's been on the market a long time and has a great track record re: safety, and 3) I really like that it's just one ingredient. I'm a minimalist when it comes to pesticides and my pets.
This makes a lot of sense - thanks. I don't think I need to be worried about whipworms, but I suspect your first two reasons are why my vet prefers it. I'm with you on reason three - I try to keep our "drugs" to a minimum, if possible.

I'll have to talk with my vet about what to do. I have a couple of months stocked up of Interceptor, but if they don't start production soon we'll be out and we'll have to switch to something else.

Reactions: Leliel

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
But it's not made anymore. What are you planning to use when your current stash runs out?
I was under the impression that Novartis was still planning to resume production at some point. Has that changed?

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
Production has been temporarily suspended. The Novartis line of preventatives has not been discontinued. I have enough for 18 months.
Wow - nice stockpile!

Reactions: wantsaDobe
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.