Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my dogs are on Sentinel. Luckily they both got 12 month refills within the last month, so we're in good shape for awhile.

Novartis Suspends Production of Interceptor and Sentinel

January 9, 2012
If you use these products, you may need to find alternatives.
It seems like every time I turn around these days, I hear about another drug shortage (more on that topic in an upcoming WDJ article). This time, it’s Novartis Animal Health announcing in late December that it has suspended production of Interceptor, Sentinel, and other drugs while its manufacturing facility in Lincoln, Nebraska, undergoes “voluntary” improvements. Numerous human and animal over-the-counter drugs are manufactured at this plant. According to reports, the company hopes to know in January when production will be resumed.
If you currently use either of these products, you may need to find a substitute, at least temporarily. Interceptor is a monthly heartworm preventive medication; it should be easy to switch to Heartgard (or generic equivalent), Revolution, or the newer Advantage Multi. Be sure to purchase these from a reliable source to avoid potentially ineffective counterfeit products. See “When Buying Veterinary Drugs Online, Look for Accredited Sites,” (WDJ June 2011)
Sentinel is a combination of Interceptor (milbemycin oxime) and Program (lufenuron), an insect growth regulator that prevents fleas that bite your dog from producing viable offspring, and therefore can be useful in combating a flea infestation. Program is manufactured by Novartis and is therefore almost certainly one of the other products whose production has been suspended. If you don’t have fleas, you don’t need to use lufenuron.
If you do have a flea problem, you can switch to flea and tick products that contain their own insect growth regulators. Advantage II and Advantix II use pyriproxyfen (Nylar), while Frontline Plus and Certifect use S-methoprene (Precor). For more information on these products, see "New Flea and Tick Products Hit the Market" (WDJ December 2011).

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Saw this in my Whole Dog Journal update. I've called in for a refill from my vet. I'm a bit nervous about a shortage.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
I talked with my vet yesterday and she's investigated this. She said they anticipate being up and running for production by the end of the month and there should not be any shortages. My vet in particular has a large stock of Interceptor (which is what we use) and should have enough on hand for all clients for quite a few months. I'm stocked for the next couple of months already, but am going to pick up enough for an additional few months just to be safe. My vet said since this is voluntary and not a quality control type of issue she's not particularly worried. As an aside, she said they are seeing a lot of shortages in other drugs right now. As an example, she is not able to get valium at all right now for any reason for clinic patients.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wow, finally did a search and found a relevant topic...

My vet, as of ten minutes ago, said it may be til the end of the year before steady supplies are available again.

I used interceptor. Not really a flea problem here, but ticks and mosquitos are bad, so the heartworm stuff, and a monthly dose of tick medicine were def. in order.

What is the best replacement for interceptor?

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
My vet ran out of their huge Interceptor supply. We've been switched to Sentinel, I think.

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Score!! One of our distributors had one "clinic pack" left. It's a box of 60 individually wrapped doses for dogs 26-50lbs, so I'm going to have to double up, but that's fine by me!!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Drug companies have billions of dollars why can't they keep up with demand also heard they have a shortage the drugs they give when a dog already has heart worms ?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Drug companies have billions of dollars why can't they keep up with demand also heard they have a shortage the drugs they give when a dog already has heart worms ?
Because, like oil companies and many others, their priority is getting rich first, producing a product in suitable quantities somewhere else down the list.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
*shameless thread necro*

Anyone use Trifexis?

Anyone have any dobes with poor reactions to it?

I just gave Delta her last Sentinel tablet yesterday. Looks like still having a five month supply wasn't sufficient hoarding on my part!

I called the vet and they are recommending Trifexis as an alternative. I just thought I'd see if many people are using that and what they think of it - and if anyone's dog had a bad reaction to it. It's supposed to do about the same things as Sentinel, but the active ingredient is different. (And it's a little more pricey).

Sentinel vs Trifexis: Compare Flea/Heartworm Control - PetMeds® has a comparison chart.

I don't want to go to anything with a topical application - I worry some of those would be very toxic to the ferrets in very small doses were they to get it on them and then lick themselves...

Reactions: brw1982

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I'm glad you bumped this thread, Leliel. The girls are currently on Interceptor but I expect we'll have to switch at some point this year.

I've also looked at Trifexis but I give my girls monthly K-9 Advantix II for fleas, ticks, and mosquitos and so many HW preventions add in the flea protection too. I need to give my girls something that kills ticks especially though so I can't just rely on the flea repellant of some HW meds and I don't know if it's safe to switch to a HW preventative that kills fleas and still use the K-9 Advantix II. I need to ask their vet but I keep forgetting.

Reactions: Leliel

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I've been to 3 vet clinics and they were all out of interceptor(what I give mine for HW prevention). They all suggested I switch to Trifexis. I went with iverhart plus for now. I'm still skeptical and hesitant about Trifexis.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
I've been to 3 vet clinics and they were all out of interceptor(what I give mine for HW prevention). They all suggested I switch to Trifexis. I went with iverhart plus for now. I'm still skeptical and hesitant about Trifexis.
Interceptor's on the same hiatus as Sentinel since they are both made by Novartis, so not surprising that everyone is running out of the stock that was left. :(

What are you using for flea prevention then? Iverhart is just heartworms, right?

Reactions: ZeldaRules

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
We've got trifexis at work now and mabel has been on it for the last 6 months, no bad reactions by her or! the collie.

Side effects are minimal, usually if any they throw up once with the first dose, if no pill is seen/its more than 10-20 minutes later dont redose & if pill is seen/its immediate redose, its never happened more than the first time in the practice or any of the studies.
Off label from our rep...it does have some tick prevention the first 2 weeks or so but not the whole month which is why it cant be marketed as flea and tick, we use it in conjunction with vectra topical or scalabor collars because of that and recommend applying or wearing the collars a week and a half to two weeks after dosing the pill.
I've had one dog in the practice throw up but the pill wasnt there, and the clients seem to like it, plus we are getting more clients on flea prevention!
It does need to be given with a meal too! and i think that's the main reason the clients dog threw up, she didnt eat her meal after it.

Sorry to sound like a walking salesman but thats just my experiences with it so far :)

Reactions: Leliel

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Never had any issues with Trifexis on Jones or the foster dogs.

I've had Jones on Trifexis since the month it came out LOVE IT! Way better than Sentinal IMO...

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Interceptor's on the same hiatus as Sentinel since they are both made by Novartis, so not surprising that everyone is running out of the stock that was left. :(

What are you using for flea prevention then? Iverhart is just heartworms, right?
Ive been using Comfortis. I don't administer flea prevention monthly though. Mine haven't been on flea control since last summer. I check them regularly for flea dirt and fleas and there hasn't been any, so no extra medicating if not necessary.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts