Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porsche is now on Tramadol for CHD. It's hard seeing our girl get older, especially in these past 6 months seems it's one thing after another.

She is also on Thyro for her thyroid and Stilbestrol for her incontinence.

Really can't complain at the end of the day, she has been pill free until her 9th birthday.

We will be reducing the amount of off leash activity she gets just to ensure she's not overdoing it or wiping out in the snow. Her weight is optimal so no adjustments needed for her to cut weight.

Anyone else have experience with Tramadol and any success?

Any information or opinions would be highly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tramadol is a great medication. It binds to opiate receptors but it is non-narcotic. Porshe may get a little drowsy after taking it but otherwise the side effects are pretty minimal. I actually take Tramadol for back pain. It has been a God send for me. I would never be able to take a narcotic at work due to impared judgement. Tramadol takes the edge off pain when I need it. My only side effect is it makes me more talkative. ;)

Lisa

Reactions: SchumiTEC

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
It is hard to watch them grow old and become unsure of themselves and/or more dependent on us. That is hard to watch, but better than the alternative. My last old girl, a mix, was never sick and my last large outlay for her was her spay at about one and a half years when she developed hemangiosarcoma of the spleen at nearly fourteen and a half. That cost some money, but I sure couldnt complain. She was a naturally good dog and a dream to live with and had a good life. I hope your girl does well in the time she has left. Count every day as a blessing. Wow, sorry, didnt know I was going to get so sentimental and start crying, but Stormy was such a good girl.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Lucy took it for arthritis and it seemed to work really well. The vet said it tasted really bad and she spit it out a couple of times (didn't get the cheese around it good). At the end she was up to 8 a day. The arthritis was in her shoulder and with CHF we had to be careful what she took.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is hard to watch them grow old and become unsure of themselves and/or more dependent on us. That is hard to watch, but better than the alternative. My last old girl, a mix, was never sick and my last large outlay for her was her spay at about one and a half years when she developed hemangiosarcoma of the spleen at nearly fourteen and a half. That cost some money, but I sure couldnt complain. She was a naturally good dog and a dream to live with and had a good life. I hope your girl does well in the time she has left. Count every day as a blessing. Wow, sorry, didnt know I was going to get so sentimental and start crying, but Stormy was such a good girl.
Yes, she's been pretty maintenance free up to 9 years of age. We have been ensuring we enjoy everyday with her and do realize that she is at that age where things will start happening with her.

We are disciplined on getting her blood tested regularly and cell tests done on any new lumps we come across. We will now have to become disciplined in ensuring her walks are controlled to ensure she's not crashing through the woods and jumping through uneven country after squirrels (will miss that).

I hope she has a couple of more years left in her :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
SchumiTEC, I hope she has at least a couple of good years left, too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts