Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a question about loose leash leisure walking as well.

Latley Rommel has started sniffing the ground alot when we walk. He has never given me many problems on a leash, but latley he wants to be all the way at the end of the leash (not pulling) but at the very very end, which is okay with me IF he keeps his head up. (Or at least watches where he is going) He has started to more and more start sniffing stuff, I guess it isnt that big of a deal, but it is REALLY annoying. We cant keep a steady pace, and half the time I find myself tripping over him because he has stopped or slowed. He gets corrected every time he does it, but he just keeps doing it. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
If you take the same path all the time...or walk piper seperately before him...he might be smelling his trail...or pipers trail...
This happens with Duchess and Coco....since we walk them seperately coco will glue his nose to the ground following exactly where duchess walked....he will know when and where we crossed over the road and so can duchess...maybe thats what it is...

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LapDog, sounds like you need to get Coco tracking! Sounds like he would be great at it!

Thats another thing, I dont want to punish him to hard for sniffing out stuff, because we do track....but there is a time and place for it, and our walks are not the time and place!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Teach him no sniff. I have a mr. sniff that isn't allowed to sniff on walks until released. He was just way too obsessive abou it.
As he has matured he is naturally more alert and keeps his head up more so than he used to as well. When he was younger that attention span was short and the ground was interesting to him, especially when he couldn't play with other dogs in class. Plus, he was just everywhere, puppy attention spans are funny. Also, as an added "reward" he would find dog treats on the ground and all sorts of good stuff on walks, so he was being "rewarded" in a way for sniffing the ground.

Your boy might need a stronger correction if yours isn't working. One good correction is better than a thousand nagging ones IMO. Maybe he just has no clue what he is doing wrong and no sniff will help him better understand there is a different time and place for that behavior. Just tossing some ides out there. But if he is not giving your a problem and pulling you all over the place, I think he is fine. Mr. sniff was attempting to pull me everywhere, he would get zoned out on a scent.

In the learning phase try hard to maintain his attention, using treats, toys, and lots of praise. Sometimes do fun mini training sessions on walks and keep his attention and interest.

We are starting tracking soon, which will make him very happy. I see you have already started tracking with Rom but I don't think it will be too hard for him to figure out there is a time for tracking and that isn't on walks =)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
lol Mr. Sniff! lol I agree just try to get his attention on something else when you dont want him to sniff. with Duchess and Coco they will usually listen when we say "No Sniff" also ...:) but just say that I dont want you sniffing right now. eventually maybe he will learn a command like that so that he doesnt sniff when told by you....but plus he is a puppy still...and he is still so curious and interested:)
coco would probably do great in tracking...unfortunately with his "baggage" lol his fearful personality wouldnt be able to tolerate it. He likes to track the family and duch...so if one of us goes missing...im sure coco would be able to find us in an instant! We can always tell when another animal has been in the yard...they will smell around like crazy when they sense something like a bunny running around the yard lol.

the first day we adopted coco...we took him and duch for a walk to the video store...I went in leaving duch and coco with my boyfriend....Coco got afraid and pulled away from matts hand and took off! we ran after him only to find him right on our porch! Lucky us!!! He ran RIGHT home taking the same path and the first day we had him. Its cute that he thought of that as the safe place to go already though. :)
Sniffing is very good lol..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.