Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up on another forum from the news..... Heartbreaking to say the least..... :sadcry:

09-03) 22:13 PDT ATLANTA (AP) --

As Valerie Bennett was evacuated from a New Orleans hospital, rescuers told her there was no room in the boat for her dogs. She pleaded. "I offered him my wedding ring and my mom's wedding ring," the 34-year-old nurse recalled Saturday. They wouldn't budge. She and her husband could bring only one item, and they already had a plastic tub containing the medicines her husband, a liver transplant recipient, needed to survive.

Such emotional scenes were repeated perhaps thousands of times along the Gulf Coast last week as pet owners were forced to abandon their animals in the midst of evacuation.

In one example reported last week by The Associated Press, a police officer took a dog from one little boy waiting to get on a bus in New Orleans. "Snowball! Snowball!" the boy cried until he vomited. The policeman told a reporter he didn't know what would happen to the dog.

At the hospital, a doctor euthanized some animals at the request of their owners, who feared they would be abandoned and starve to death. He set up a small gas chamber out of a plastic-wrapped dog kennel.

"The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said 'I can't do it,'" said Bennett's husband, Lorne.

Valerie Bennett left her dogs with the anesthesiologist, who promised to care for about 30 staff members' pets on the roof of the hospital, Lindy Boggs Medical Center.

"He said he'd stay there as long as he possibly could," Valerie Bennett recalled, speaking from her husband's bedside at Atlanta's Emory University Hospital.

On Saturday afternoon, she said she saw a posting on a Web site called petfinder.com that said the anesthesiologist was still caring for the animals. Louisiana State Treasurer John Kennedy, who was helping with relief efforts Saturday, said some evacuees refused to leave without their pets.

"One woman told me 'I've lost my house, my job, my car and I am not turning my dog loose to starve,'" Kennedy said.

Kennedy said he persuaded refugees to get on the bus by telling them he would have the animals taken to an exhibition center.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals picked up two cats and 15 dogs, including one Kennedy found tied up beneath the overpass next to an unopened can of dog food with a sign that read "Please take care of my dog, his name is Chucky."

The fate of pets is a huge but underappreciated cause of anguish for storm survivors, said Richard Garfield, professor of international clinical nursing at New York's Columbia University.

"People in shelters are worried about 'Did Fluffy get out?'" he said. "It's very distressing for people, wondering if their pets are isolated or starving."

The Bennetts had four animals, including two beloved dogs.
They moved to Slidell, La., in July when Valerie took a job at an organ transplant institute connected to Lindy Boggs. Lorne, a former paramedic, is disabled since undergoing a liver transplant in 2001. On Saturday, as Hurricane Katrina approached, both went to the hospital to help and took all four animals with them. They fed their guinea pig and left it in its cage in a patient room. They couldn't refill its empty water bottle because the hospital's plumbing failed Sunday, they said. They poured food on the floor for the cat, but again no water.

"I just hope that they forgive me," Valerie Bennett cried.

·
Banned
375 Posts
ugh... if bush would have done what he was supposed to as the mayor of New Orleans has said we wouldnt be in this predicament.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummmm..... not interested in taking THAT fishhook, WAB as you know how I feel about that.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I honestly don't think I could have left without the dogs. I could leave my cats but not the dogs. I know that sounds sad but its the truth. They would hav eto put me out to drag me away from them. It might not be safe but I would have walked/swam outta there with them. I've hear da lot of people have. I just feel so bad for all of those people. I understand not everyones priority can be their dogs but that doesn't mean they don't love them. I'd take some in a minute but I'm kinda far away.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Very sad indeed

Thanks Jessie very touching story.
You know I can't seem to turn off fox news. It's like the days/weeks/months after 9/11 or after the war began, such tragedy and I am unable to do anything to help other than write a check but somehow that just doesn't seem like enough. Saw a story this afternoon about an old woman who refused to evacuate when she was supposed to because of her old dog. Geraldo was there when she and the dog were rescued, they showed the dog being loaded onto the boat but not sure where it went from there. But they did report that a family in Ohio has opened their house to her so lets hope that included her pooch as well.
Sadly this happens during every natural disaster, pets are left behind. The ASPCA has an awesome plan that everyone should read http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_emergency . I can very much understand why some of the people stayed behind with their pets but this cataclysm teaches us all that is not the wisest course of action. Having a "just in case" plan is certainly a good idea and one that I am putting much more thought into.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can't even begin to imagine what that feels like. To lose everything thing and then be told you cannot bring your beloved pet with you? What a terrible thing.

Brian read yesterday how some animal organization was gather people's pet that couldn't go along with them and they were bathing them, feeding them and holding them til the owners could get back to them.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
There is one more thing that you should do to protect your pet--------
MICROCHIPP AND KEEP THE INFORMATION CURRENT​
Collar and tags can get lost, so microchipping is the answer. Also give the microchipp and health record information to a good trusted friend or relative.
I keep all the AVID information, shot, health and owner information from the last litter in my records. Also I keep a current photo on the puppy along with the owners photo, name and address and phone number.
I have donated some $$$ to help with the rescue of the animals... I have contact the pet food companies that I use and asked them to donate...I have signed up with 1800saveapet.com...I have signed up to transport pets to new foster homes if needed too!
I encourage all of you to do the same..​
I would never leave my pets behind!! Never!!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellant ideas Tracy and frznbuns! My animals are my kids, It breaks my heart to ever even think of leaving them behind..... I pray for all the people and animals everyday and am donating also....

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
A little good news...

"We have confirmation from the State Veterinarian's office in Louisiana that Snowball, the little white terrier mix who was shown on many news broadcasts as he was not allowed to board the evacuee bus with his owner, is safe. He was immediately rescued and is in the hands of caring professionals. That's all the information we know, but we thought that the many people who were concerned about him would be happy to know that he is safe. "

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TracyJo said:
A little good news...

"We have confirmation from the State Veterinarian's office in Louisiana that Snowball, the little white terrier mix who was shown on many news broadcasts as he was not allowed to board the evacuee bus with his owner, is safe. He was immediately rescued and is in the hands of caring professionals. That's all the information we know, but we thought that the many people who were concerned about him would be happy to know that he is safe. "

That's wonderful!!!! :3dbiggrin

·
Registered
190 Posts
whiteandblue said:
ugh... if bush would have done what he was supposed to as the mayor of New Orleans has said we wouldnt be in this predicament.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

seriously?

You have two feet, A mind of your own, Weather.com and the radio. You know when to get the **** out. Bush is now having to go back and take care of some idiots that decided to stay. He didnt force anyone to stay.

sad story. But as stated in my above sentances I live in FL and have the knowledge of when to get the hell out before I am at someone else whim.

·
Registered
232 Posts
IDK, We seemed to help tsunami ppl fast, we need to help ours FASTER.

its getting rediculous, and some ppl shooting at ppl trying to rescue them, its just retarded

·
Registered
281 Posts
"At the hospital, a doctor euthanized some animals at the request of their owners, who feared they would be abandoned and starve to death. He set up a small gas chamber out of a plastic-wrapped dog kennel.

"The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said 'I can't do it,'" said Bennett's husband, Lorne."

When i read that i thought i was going to be sick. I know people have lost everything and they would not like to see there pets starve but to hand them over to be gassed in such a fashion i think are all equaly cruel as each other~ punishement starving, drowning or being gassed like some prisoner of war.. I would never over my dead body gas my dog. I would give them an injection so they are PTS ..they have no idea what is going on they just gently go to sleep. To have them struggle and fight against the gas in a cage feeling the suffocation is in humane. Just My opinion.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Lexus said:
Actually Firebeatha Bush is responsible for the bad weather, didn't you get the memo?? :duh_6b:

finally!

there was speculation between it being bush or bill gates faulty weather machine because it still using windows 98

it is a sad thing to try to use that method. remember that the doc had pure intentions so i have no animacity towards him and its amazing he watched all those pets. thats one mess i wouldn't want to clean

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
FiReBReTHa said:
finally!

there was speculation between it being bush or bill gates faulty weather machine because it still using windows 98

In the future Firebretha I would appreciate a disclaimer before another wonderful little zinger like this. I actually choked on and spilled my hot tea as I laughed. Something such as "WARNING, SARCASM AHEAD PUT DOWN ALL HOT BEVERAGES" would suffice :) I fear I'm suffering at least a second degree burn on my hand now, I won't be able to complete my homework and graduate college: I won't be able to find a job because I won't have a degree so I won't be able to pay my bills and will no longer be a contributing member of society. But is it my fault because I did something stupid? Heck no it's not, it's Bush's fault; afterall, the his name was used in the sentence that made me laugh.

***DISCLAIMER***
The above paragraph in no way insinuates that I think the people affected by this disaster are in fact stupid. I does however try to point out that I believe we all need to take responsibility for our own actions. People were told to evacuate. Some were very noble and decided to stay behind with their pets, some stayed because they feared they would loose theirs homes, money or belongings, some stayed to take advantage of a bad situation and some stayed because they had no choice. I have sympathy for all because I truly doubt that anyone had any idea the magnitude of this cataclysm; however they were told to evacuate and if they had the physical means necccessary to do so and did not they can hardly blame anyone for their current circumstance. To blame President Bush and the federal gov't is insane. If you're looking to blame someone for the levi breaking then look back to Clinton, Bush Sr or even Regan, we've known for decades this would happen. Could the rescue efforts been expidited in a more timely fashion? You betcha. But on the other hand, could the local/state gov't done more to evacuate it's people before hand? You betcha. Is it sad that snowball was ripped from the crying boys arms? Brought tears to my eyes it did but I've not seen one post on any of the boards (and there are many) that praised the rescue workers for risking their own lives to save the boy! Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Its almost not funny because I have heard people claiming bush controls the weather. Now he isn't my favorite person in the world but I can't even blame that on him! I think he may be plotting a storm for me right now :haha:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh boy you guys are a hoot!!! Thanks to TracyJo and Firebreatha for my laugh for the day!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts