Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i broke it down and retrained from the bottom up and reinforced NOT touching me and bumping me. we encourage the dogs to get closer to us to heel, so he just took it one step further.
I went over what we were doing, breaking it down every step of the way and I think we're getting somewhere. What I've found when she's bumping me is that her hind end is swung out and her front end is angled at me(just slightly, nothing extreme), so she can't help but crash into me. Why I never noticed what her rear was doing is beyond me but I'm chalking it up to ignorance. :eek:

So my question is, what's the best way to get her in line? I know with Scoob, when we would come to a stop, he would swing his rear out just before he sat and I had always steered his hind end with my hand to where I wanted it, til he realized where his hind quarters was supposed to be. Would this be how I should go about it with her?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Here's an idea, teach Ave the command "Closer" as in come closer, everything you stop her guide her with the leash closer to sit straight beside you, when she does reward her "good closer". I taught Lexy that and now whenever she is heeling to far away from me or more likely for her sits a little far way or not straight, she scooches closer to me just off command. Ava will learn to do it off command first and eventually she will start to correct herself, that is the point Lexy is at now. Key is don't move yourself, move her. Just a little helpfull advice.

My thoughts on walking her on the other side......ehhhhh......I might be wrong, but ava is trying to stay right on top of you, she will do the same on the other side, why confuse her.... Keep doing lots of exercises where you turn into her which forces her to move away from you, it will also have her right in line at the right angle if you stop for the sit. Use the leash and your knee to bump her off you as you turn, and even a command for "off" (if that isn't your no jump command) If you teach her off, everytime she crowds you you tell her off and she'll give you space.

Remember eveything is a work in progress and be patient it will work itself out with your diligence to Ava!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.