Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let say hello.I am new to this forum but not to dobes,but i recently adopted a 5 year old male named monty.He's great,well mannered,very passive with my son for not knowing him very well and just an all around good dog.But my problem is with separation anxiety,he took to me almost immediately and goes wherever i go but in the last month has started peeing on the carpet.I let him out in the morning for 10 min or so and feed him and he's fine but when i come home for lunch i eat,take him out and play,run him and then go back to work and almost everyday when i get home he has peed on the carpet and knows he's in crap.I know this is separation anxiety because if i didn't take him outside or let him out on the weekend he would hold it all day.I'm out of ideas,can anyone help me?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I would crate him, not give him the run of the house when you aren't home. He will be fine crated for a few hours.

Also, you will need to thoroughly clean the spots he has peed and completely eliminate the odor, or he will continue to use those areas.

He looks like a sweet boy, congrats on the new addition.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
In addition to crating, I would make sure he has a thorough vet exam just to be sure there are no medical issues (such as a UTI).

When you crate him, have special stuff for his crate while you are gone. Something like a Kong stuffed with great things can occupy him and make the separation easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am shampooing the carpets today,i would really prefer to not crate him,he is my 6th dobe and he would be the first i have ever crated and all of the my previous ones have always had the run of the house and he has a check up next week so then we will no for sure about UTI.Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts