Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dobestart
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all I just wanted to tell about an unfortunate circumstance regarding a woman with a disability and Monaco Dobermans.
The woman with a disability was sold a puppy by Monaco Dobermans on a payment plan of $150.00 per month as she is on ODSP and that's all she could afford. However at one point the woman received a cheque from the government for over $800.00 and decided to forward that whole cheque to Molly at Monaco Dobermans, whom was glad to pick her up and take her to the bank to receive payment with the Dam in the vehicle growling and showing her teeth the whole drive.
So far $1500.00 has been paid towards the agreed total cost of $2200.00 as advertised, which was to include ear cropping, microchip, ckc registration papers, tail docking, etc..
Out of no where the woman receives a call and good golly miss Molly now requires an additional $500.00 for the ear cropping. This would mean that this poor woman is now paying $2200.00, plus Hst, plus $500.00 for ear cropping. As we all know the cost for ear cropping is about $300.00 taxes included.
At the point of sale which I shall add was a kijiji posting molly was made well aware that this Doberman was to be a service dog for the disabled woman. Molly stated that she would train the dog for a fee of $70.00 that eventually turned out to be $200.00. It is my understanding that this woman knows nothing about training dogs and has no credentials regarding obedience or training service dogs.
There is much much more but for today I will finish with her refund policy. As stated before this woman has a disability, and was on a waiting list for surgery which was to be a 5 year wait, then there was a cancellation and she was to have a permanent surgery that would render her incapable of caring for a young puppy there after. The goal was to get the puppy and have a trained dog by the time surgery came about.
The disabled woman contacted Molly and told her of her circumstances and Molly informed her of her non refundable deposit policy and that she would receive a credit note that would remain valid for the next 3 years. Problem is in the next 3 years and thereafter she would not be able to care for a young puppy never mind train it with the professional dog trainer Molly King. Ten minutes later and even before the disabled woman would have a chance to agree or disagree to these terms and make her decision the puppy was added to her website as a puppy for sale.
I understand that the woman should have used more due diligence and perhaps may not have made a good choice or choices in the purchase of a Doberman at this point in her life. But it is my understanding that a reputable breeder should, would and could have helped her understand that maybe a Doberman may not be a good idea before or after surgery, instead Miss Molly had her hand out to take advantage of a person with a disability and take her money.
If she does not provide Molly with the extra $500.00 for ear cropping she will not receive the puppy and that I call a type of extortion. There are many negative reviews posted here and other places online and I wish this woman would have researched a bit more to see that Molly King is a horrible breeder out only for the almighty dollar, not the well being of her puppies or the homes they go to. Rumour has it that her dogs are also dogs with temperament issues and are probably not dogs in which should be bred.

Help expose this breeder and save people from creating their own horror stories.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,244 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sorry to say, but anyone buying a "service dog" from kijii should have realized they were being scammed. NO reputable breeder would use that site, and quite frankly- most reputable breeders would NEVER claim they could train a service dog. Service dogs normally come through service dog training sources, and often require a long wait. I met the first person I have ever seen with a Doberman guide dog (for the blind), and he said he waited nearly 2 years, as he was deadset on a Doberman and it took that long to find one.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I'm still scratching my head over thinking you could get a service dog trained for between 70 and 200 dollars.

By someone with, presumably, no credentials for doing so.

I think stories like these are good illustrations of why it is so vital to thoroughly do your homework, prior to purchasing, or putting down deposits.

·
Dobestart
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was for a couple days a week is my understanding, either way an undereducated and perhaps naïve purchaser was coaxed into a purchase and obviously told a great story to fill the pockets of this breeder.
Anyhow the story is now listed here for others to see, no longer interested in debates or arguments just hope this helps others and this woman gets some, most or all of her money back.

Perhaps we could help with suggestions on what she should do now?

·
Doberdonut
516 Posts
Sorry to say, but anyone buying a "service dog" from kijii should have realized they were being scammed. NO reputable breeder would use that site, and quite frankly- most reputable breeders would NEVER claim they could train a service dog. Service dogs normally come through service dog training sources, and often require a long wait. I met the first person I have ever seen with a Doberman guide dog (for the blind), and he said he waited nearly 2 years, as he was deadset on a Doberman and it took that long to find one.
Not necessarily. United States ADA and some provinces in Canada allow owner training. Getting a Doberman from a breeder for service work is perfectly possible. I have one, and so do six people I know off the top of my head.

Evan is from Bruda, and was sold to me as a good service dog prospect. However, Sandi has a great reputation and Evan was assessed repeatedly by Sizzledog and trainers she works with before I got him at 5 months old. She nearly washed him as a prospect three weeks before I picked him up due to being slightly slow to recover from situations until she determined it was a puppy stage. Great care was taken with his placement, and he is the best partner I could ask for.

In short, it's perfectly possible to buy a prospect or partially trained dog out of a program. Particularly since most programs do not work with multiple disabilities. In fact, one program declined me because I am not flashy enough.. I don't make a good story as I am not blind, deaf, autistic, PTSD or in a wheelchair. I look normal and healthy to almost everyone. But I'm not. So I'm training my own, with help from local trainers.

Most programs don't work with Dobermans as they are a breed with unique training requirements, and tend to be sharper and higher energy than alot of disabled people can cope with. They've also got a stigma that causes problems. I can't begin to tell you how many times people have seen him in a perfect heel at my side not looking at them, shrieked and ran out of the store.

Just because an SD is owner trained, does not mean they're fake. :) Nor does it mean they're horribly trained. Just like a program dog doesn't guarantee a good dog as I've seen alot of trainwrecks come out of some of them. As with finding a good breeder, finding a good program or a good dog requires alot of research and time.

I'm still scratching my head over thinking you could get a service dog trained for between 70 and 200 dollars.

By someone with, presumably, no credentials for doing so.

I think stories like these are good illustrations of why it is so vital to thoroughly do your homework, prior to purchasing, or putting down deposits.
How very true. Most of the price quotes to train my dog were around $25k as he has a unique set of tasks.

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,309 Posts
Not necessarily. United States ADA and some provinces in Canada allow owner training. Getting a Doberman from a breeder for service work is perfectly possible. I have one, and so do six people I know off the top of my head.

Evan is from Bruda, and was sold to me as a good service dog prospect. However, Sandi has a great reputation and Evan was assessed repeatedly by Sizzledog and trainers she works with before I got him at 5 months old. She nearly washed him as a prospect three weeks before I picked him up due to being slightly slow to recover from situations until she determined it was a puppy stage. Great care was taken with his placement, and he is the best partner I could ask for.

In short, it's perfectly possible to buy a prospect or partially trained dog out of a program. Particularly since most programs do not work with multiple disabilities. In fact, one program declined me because I am not flashy enough.. I don't make a good story as I am not blind, deaf, autistic, PTSD or in a wheelchair. I look normal and healthy to almost everyone. But I'm not. So I'm training my own, with help from local trainers.

Most programs don't work with Dobermans as they are a breed with unique training requirements, and tend to be sharper and higher energy than alot of disabled people can cope with. They've also got a stigma that causes problems. I can't begin to tell you how many times people have seen him in a perfect heel at my side not looking at them, shrieked and ran out of the store.

Just because an SD is owner trained, does not mean they're fake. :) Nor does it mean they're horribly trained. Just like a program dog doesn't guarantee a good dog as I've seen alot of trainwrecks come out of some of them. As with finding a good breeder, finding a good program or a good dog requires alot of research and time.
I don't think I could thank this post enough.

But yes to anyone who thinks SDs only have special fancy certificates or programs provide them- they are wrong. You CAN go with a program, you CAN get "certified" (except "certified" means well, nothing, as scams for $$$), but no program is perfect and some will turn away those who aren't disabled "enough" or who need something very specific and aren't willing to wait 50 years for a dog. Owner training is a very valid way to go for some folks and that in itself is not a red flag. It's the idea that an SD could be fully trained for $70 or even $200, that's just not going to happen.

Now while I know that there are rescues that have been made SDs (and rescues are nearly always BYB dogs), I'd be surprised if kijiji or craigslist would really be considered the best place to get a SD prospect...

·
Doberdonut
516 Posts
I can't even train my OWN service dog for $200 :p

However it's also not unheard of for people to donate dogs/training. I understand how the whole thing came to pass and the OP has my compassion. Caveat Emptor, but it does suck.

Reactions: Jazi

·
Registered
79 Posts
honestly i think reputable breeders should be using kijiji, as well as brushing up their websites and marketing skills to end these backyard breeders. yes i know it's not their responsibility, but if better breeders were easier to find, i'm sure the byb population would die down.

·
Banned
10 Posts
I have a dog from Monaco and she is completely healthy and beautiful. People need to remember that dobermans are not the most healthy of breeds. Monaco dobermans are not the ONLY dogs that have had some issues, I am sure there are many negative comments about all the breeders out there.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I have a dog from Monaco and she is completely healthy and beautiful. People need to remember that dobermans are not the most healthy of breeds. Monaco dobermans are not the ONLY dogs that have had some issues, I am sure there are many negative comments about all the breeders out there.
Lucky you! you are the only one I've ever heard of having a good dobe from Molly. She IS NOT a reputable breeder, is notorious for falsifying information and providing unsound puppies.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The cost of ear cropping ranges greatly depending on the quality and reputation of the vet. $300 including all taxes and after care seems a bit low to me. Don't think the crop job on the dogs on the breeder's site look great to me either. Just my opinion. A couple of the crops almost look like pit crops.

On the other hand, if this dog was the perfect service dog, and if cropping was not spelled out in the contract, would ear cropping be critical?

As well, $500 can be a drop in the bucket for healthcare for many Dobermans.

I know nothing of this breeder so I'm not judging one way or the other. Does seem if the breeder sold the puppy that the prospective buyer would be entitled to a refund. What does the contract state?

·
Registered
662 Posts
you're definitely lucky but wait till she is around 2 and see what she's like. From everything I've heard Monaco dogs are gorgeous but not tempermentally sound.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
My last Doberman Prince was from Monaco, Prince loved the world. Molly is a terrible breeder and its too bad I didn't know this before we got him. Once she gets your money trying to get a hold of her is like winning a million dollars.

We lost Prince to DCM, he had just turned 5. She does no health testing what so ever but she told us she did. Stupid me believed her, that lesson broke my heart. I loved him so much, its so hard losing them but when they're so young it really hurts.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm curious, how old is your girl?

Prince was a healthy beautiful Doberman when he was younger. It was March break and I took him for a walk to our park. He was having such a good time playing in the snow. On the way home he stopped and didn't want to move. He had this strange look in his eyes and he was panting. I just knew it was his heart. It took us forever to get back home, walking very slowly. I called my vet and took him in the next day. He was tested and it was his heart, he lasted 5 months and then I had to let him go. It was the worst five months of my life. I was either angry or sad knowing I was going to lose him. He would sleep on my bed and when he heard me crying he would run down and put his head on my lap trying to make me feel better. Molly knew he was sick, she never once called me to ask how he was.

Yes, there are negative comments about other breeders, Molly is not a responsible breeder. She has several litters every year and makes a lot of money. She doesn't care about her pups once they leave.

You're right, Dobermans have a lot of health problems. This is why responsible breeders health test their Dobermans. Monaco doesn't do this even though she told us she did. This doesn't mean that responsible breeders don't have problems, but at least you know that they did everything they could to produce healthy pups.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts