Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-
My question is my 5 month old male puppy is starting to show signs of panosteitis. He is on Natural Balance puppy to adult food with 23% or more of protein. The adult chicken and sweet potato has 21% protein. I want the best food for him please anyone help. what is a great dog food for this.:thanx:

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Do you feed any extras, treats? Too many calories, and I have read recently, Dr Karen Becker says high carbs cause the too fast growth that contributes to pano. There is also believed to be a hereditary factor. Two schools of thought here, low, single source protein food or low carb food. Both agree the pup needs vitamin C as pano pups test low for this vitamin. Try giving 500 mgs with or after morning meal, never on an empty stomach. Sometimes vitamin C can cause soft stools, so watch for this and cut back to 250 mg dose if it happens. In a couple of weeks or so add another vitamin C to evening meal for a total of 1000 mgs per day. I suggest Natures Varity Instinct line or Orijen for their low carb level. However, you will have to follow whichever method you feel best with. My vet also had me restrict exercise. I had to do leash only potties and crate him for two week periods during painful episodes. He also received an anti inflammatory for pain so gradually start fish oil, 1000 mgs per 10 lb bodyweight.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Just curious,have you had this puppy to a vet? What makes you think he has pano?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Loki has been to the vet every 7-10 days for ear postings. He has had a blood work up also in March. Going back on Sat. morning husband thinks I am crazy. He gets no table food besides his kong which I do fill with peanut butter 3 times a week. Natural Balance treats 1 or 2 a day. I want to know about a better chose in dog food. :rolleyesww:

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
LindaH, can you link to these articles? I am very interested in causes of pano, though I am inclined to think it is, at least to some extent, hereditary.

I feed a moderate protein food (24%), and Gracie had some pano (diagnosed with x-rays). The food is single meat source, but it also does have some grains (rice, oats).

I'm also interested because I have receptive vets and I was reassured that there was nothing I was doing or not doing that might have caused Gracie's pano. They did also tell me it's not all that common for them to see it in their (busy, 4 vet) practice; maybe 5-6 cases annually.

+1 on seeing a vet for a definite diagnosis.

Redpaws, there are as many opinions as to which food is best as there are people feeding dogs. LindaH's signature has a wealth of links to sites where you can learn a lot about what is generally regarded as constituting a good food. From there, you have to choose the one that works best for your dog. Sometimes that is not the one you'd most like to feed your dog.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I gave you two of the best meat based dry kibbles out there. I would put some apple cubes, banana slices in the kong and only cap the ends with peanut butter as it is pretty high calorie, high fat, but I dont know how much youre putting into the kong. Count his calories! He shouldnt be getting much over what his kibble gives. You are feeding the right amount of kibble.///// Exactly what is he doing that makes you think he has pano?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
GrdnDelite, I cant link you as on phone. You might try putting "causes of growing diseases of large breed puppies" and see if Dr Karen Becker's article comes up. Or get on her/Dr Mercola's site and enter same into her search. She doesnt mention pano specifically, but does name some other bone diseases caused by fast growth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Linda thank you I do appreciate all the links. I guess I was looking for a great dog food that you yourself loves for the breed. Also thank you all for all the great treat tips!!! Loki has a front right limp when he walks. Not all the time. But it is their. No crying or whining hold it up sometimes but still plays like a normal puppy. He is going to the vet.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I do feed and rotate between Natures Variety Instinct,Orijen, and Acana. The first two being the top meat based kibbles, imo./////The lamness in pano pups will switch limbs, with a pup holding up a right paw one day and maybe the left the next day. It can last for months. Hope your puppy doesnt have it. There are other growing diseases out there ,too. Or he could have strained a muscle or joint, nicked a paw, thorn in foot. The possibilities are endless. Hope he gets well quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts