Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent thread about either ear cropping or color (can't remember which, and I couldn't find the quote, sorry) someone mentioned the TV show Animal Cops Philadelphia, and the "Weimaraner" that was rescued on one episode. The dog was obviously a Dobe, either a very pale fawn or albino, but was said to be a Weim, and someone commented the misidentification. I saw that episode, and also wondered how they could be so wrong about the breed.

Today, though, after reading the thread on the albino puppies, I started thinking. I wonder if it was possible that they KNEW the dog was an albino Dobe, but "mistakenly" called it a Weim so that they wouldn't wind up having to rescue a zillion more of them after people decided they just had to have a "rare white" Dobe? It's possible, isn't it?

Reactions: KenyaARaineCD

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
On a recent thread about either ear cropping or color (can't remember which, and I couldn't find the quote, sorry) someone mentioned the TV show Animal Cops Philadelphia, and the "Weimaraner" that was rescued on one episode. The dog was obviously a Dobe, either a very pale fawn or albino, but was said to be a Weim, and someone commented the misidentification. I saw that episode, and also wondered how they could be so wrong about the breed.

Today, though, after reading the thread on the albino puppies, I started thinking. I wonder if it was possible that they KNEW the dog was an albino Dobe, but "mistakenly" called it a Weim so that they wouldn't wind up having to rescue a zillion more of them after people decided they just had to have a "rare white" Dobe? It's possible, isn't it?
I actually met this albino and his owner at a local park a couple of years ago - she told me that they figured out pretty quickly that it was a Doberman.

Reactions: KenyaARaineCD

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
I think I've seen one albinistic Dobe (uncropped) listed as a Lab-mix.

I've seen a handful of fawn Dobes listed as "Weimaraner mixes" on Petfinder. I always send the rescue or shelter an e-mail, telling them I think the dog is a purebred fawn Dobe.

Only once has a shelter changed the listing to Dobe. Oh well...:rolleyesww:

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I know a girl who adopted a fawn puppy (met her at the dog park). She told me that the shelter knew it was a dobie but changed it to Weimariner in hopes that the puppy would benefit that way. With the puppy being listed that way she could adopt it but still live in her apartment. I find it wrong, but I understand it. She had not been looking for a doberman but loved the breed and the woman at the shelter told her all about dobies. It's the first I'd heard of something like that happening but I'm not surprised and I"m sure it happens more often than not.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I saw the episode of Animal Cops and instantly knew that the dog was not a Weim... If you know either breed, they do not look that much alike. I wondered the same thing. If they said Weim so that they didn't have to "deal with" the fact that it was a white dobe. It still made me mad. So what if it's a white dobe? It just adds to the breed discrimination to not call it what it is. The show could have said that it was an albino doberman that is a fault in the breed and not make it sound like it was a rare and desirable trait. Breed discrimination makes me SO angry. I'd get into it but I don't want to derail the thread...

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking that since, as Fitzmar said, they DID know it was a Dobe, it wasn't so much "breed discrimination" as "breed protection". Even if they had said it was an albino, and that that albinism was a serious fault, some people would still just HAVE to have one. It's just so "different" to have an albino. Then of course, being a poorly bred dog, it would start having either health or temperament problems, or the novelty would wear off and they'd either neglect it or dump it. Or worse, think that because the LOVE their pet, they should create more of these "rare" dogs. And, hey, a little extra cash would be handy too. Next thing you know, they are a full-fledged BYB, and the rescue groups have to start rescuing more and more of these "rare white" Dobes.

Reactions: Ahalvorsen

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm thinking that since, as Fitzmar said, they DID know it was a Dobe, it wasn't so much "breed discrimination" as "breed protection". Even if they had said it was an albino, and that that albinism was a serious fault, some people would still just HAVE to have one. It's just so "different" to have an albino. Then of course, being a poorly bred dog, it would start having either health or temperament problems, or the novelty would wear off and they'd either neglect it or dump it. Or worse, think that because the LOVE their pet, they should create more of these "rare" dogs. And, hey, a little extra cash would be handy too. Next thing you know, they are a full-fledged BYB, and the rescue groups have to start rescuing more and more of these "rare white" Dobes.
I guess it makes sense to think about it that way. There are some real winners out there... I was just talking about that with a friend of mine. They need to have "how not to be a dumbass classes" for certain people. We weren't talking about dog owners but it applies here too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts