Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made a stupid mistake. As I wrote in another thread I got my new 2 year old female yesterday. I prepared everything months in advance. The breeder told me that she was on some food from Italy called Farmina. I couldn't find that here, so I decided I would put her on orijen regional red. So I bought a big bag of that months ago, and forgot to think about how to do the gradual switch. The point is I switched her "cold turkey" by mistake from Farmina to Orijen. She came here around 11 AM yesterday, had her first feeding of Orijen at 16:00 yesterday and had good stool around 18:00 yesterday. Since then she have had 2 feedings of Orijen and have not pooped yet today. So it's over 24 hours since she pooped last time. She have not tried neither. (it's 22 PM here in Sweden now). Looking at this Farmina food it looks like they use rice and corn. Switching to Orijen from that I would expect her to get hard stools. What should I do now?

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
How many cups of Orijen are you feeding her? I've had new rescues come into my home who have not had a BM for up to 3 days. It's not uncommon for a new dog that's undergoing the stress of a big change and adjustment. You did say she had a good BM on it, right? Just give it some time. Orijen is a very high quality kibble. Many times the cause of digestive upset with these high quality foods is overfeeding.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many cups of Orijen are you feeding her? I've had new rescues come into my home who have not had a BM for up to 3 days. It's not uncommon for a new dog that's undergoing the stress of a big change and adjustment. You did sat she had a good BM on it, right? Just give it some time.
I have been feeding 200 grams 2 times a day. We don't use cups here so I don't know how much that would be. What does BM mean?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea what the conversion is, sorry. BM = bowel movement.
Oh yes she had really perfect stools around 2 hours after I fed Orijen for the first time yesterday. But now I'm in doubt whether that could be food she ate before leaving Serbia. Although I don't think the breeder would want to feed her before a long flight. But I will write him now and ask when her last meal was.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
I've had big problems trying to switch to Orijen. #1 it's hard as rocks (at least the 6 fish). Every time I tried to give it to our girl she got messed up on it so I gave up w/that one.

Lesson learned when switching foods only buy smaller bags at first until you know how it goes w/their system.

I get worried when I hear gurgley stomachs & gas on new foods, then vomiting or diahrea type stuff.

Yes definitely stock up on canned pumpkin-not the pie filling tho.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
So you buy a fresh pumpkin like this picture? Sorry for asking but we don't use pumpkin a lot over here.

Do you guys have any type of squash over there? Pumpkin being a type of squash there are lots of others.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes we have squash here. We also have pumpkin sometimes, I'm not sure about the canned version. I don't think they sell much of it as I've never met anybody who used it. But I will go check. Should I keep feed the Orijen food so far? It's 08:00 AM now and still no poop. No gas or anything weird though.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I feed my dogs Acana which is made by the same company that makes Orijen. My dobe does way better on Acana, it's been awesome for all 3 of my dogs. It's a little less protein, same quality grain-free ingredients.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Yes we have squash here. We also have pumpkin sometimes, I'm not sure about the canned version. I don't think they sell much of it as I've never met anybody who used it. But I will go check. Should I keep feed the Orijen food so far? It's 08:00 AM now and still no poop. No gas or anything weird though.
Pumpkin being seasonal you might have to wait for fresh if you can't find canned.
We've had pumpkin shortages in the states. When that happened I began collecting cans of pumpkin. I accidentally grew some pumpkins last summer in our composte and cooked them up & saved them.

Hope your girl feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
As long as she's acting normally (active, drinking, not in any distress), I wouldn't be worried at all at this point. There is much less waste with a good nutrient dense food like Orijen... much more of it gets metabolized and dogs will produce less frequent and smaller stools. I suspect that everything is just fine. If she is straining to defecate and unable (or has very hard, difficult-to-pass stools), some pumpkin or other cooked winter squash would be called for. For now, I would just be watchful but not overly concerned.

Big congrats on your new girl! Pictures would be nice!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Juhuu! I just came back from the supermarket to look for pumpkin. Like I thought they didn't have any. But when I came back Dunja acted liked she wanted to go out. Out we went and after 5 minutes she placed the nicest stools on the ground I have ever seen. So I guess she just needed time. I'm so happy now. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As long as she's acting normally (active, drinking, not in any distress), I wouldn't be worried at all at this point. There is much less waste with a good nutrient dense food like Orijen... much more of it gets metabolized and dogs will produce less frequent and smaller stools. I suspect that everything is just fine. If she is straining to defecate and unable (or has very hard, difficult-to-pass stools), some pumpkin or other cooked winter squash would be called for. For now, I would just be watchful but not overly concerned.

Big congrats on your new girl! Pictures would be nice!
Thank you for the tips! Pictures is here: http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/63830-bringing-home-adult-dog-2.html#post1041712

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Juhuu! I just came back from the supermarket to look for pumpkin. Like I thought they didn't have any. But when I came back Dunja acted liked she wanted to go out. Out we went and after 5 minutes she placed the nicest stools on the ground I have ever seen. So I guess she just needed time. I'm so happy now. Thanks everyone.
I figured that would be the case, I was thinking about the pumpkin and was just about to tell you to hold off bc if she already had firm BMs then there's no need to give pumpkin.

Yay for poop, lol!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Orijen is pretty well the best kibble you can buy and feed over here. I am just finishing up a bag of the Orijen 6 Fish and my boy has had no problem with it. I always do the gradual switch over tho. If you ever need the pumpkin, you can use any type of edible winter squash or, if you have them, sweet potato or yam. Glad to hear your girl is doing so well with getting off the plane, eating a brand new food and gifting you with the best poops ever!:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts