Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sat here (1.15am) missing Tia terribly and decided to upload some pics of her and a sneaky one of Joshua! Hope you like.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goodness, I'm missing her so much!

I'm glad you all think she's a cutie - I do too but I'm very biased!!! Just hope she takes to Joshua and doesn't think he's some sort of new toy! Any tips on introductions would be greatly appreciated! x

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Those are too cute. That second one is a heartbreaker. I would be missing her too. But, the last one is going to be a heartbreaker when he grows up.

Reactions: adajane1

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Both your babies are sweeties! Joshua is just gorgeous!

A friend of mine bought an inexpensive receiving blanket @ Wal-Mart and put it in her new baby's crib so that it would get her scent on it, then after a few days of absorbing that warm baby smell, tucked it in with her dog at night. Her dog would snuggle into that blanket and be introduced to the baby's scent without getting too close at first.

Cesar Milan had an episode on introducing a new baby to the dog - at first the dog is only allowed to observe the baby from a distance, and has to sit/down 3' away or so when baby is on Mom's lap. Lots of praise, treats. After a few weeks, the dog is allowed to approach and sniff toes, still remaining on the floor. The point he makes is that the new baby is higher in the pack than the dog.

I think it all depends on your dog, and how relaxed you are as a new parent. If you take this change in stride, then your dog won't be picking up on any tension when Joshua is in the same room. But if a new parent freaks out when the dog puts one paw into the same room as baby is in, then the poor animal will only associate bad feelings with the new baby.

Congrats and try and get some well-deserved rest!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both your babies are sweeties! Joshua is just gorgeous!

A friend of mine bought an inexpensive receiving blanket @ Wal-Mart and put it in her new baby's crib so that it would get her scent on it, then after a few days of absorbing that warm baby smell, tucked it in with her dog at night. Her dog would snuggle into that blanket and be introduced to the baby's scent without getting too close at first.

Cesar Milan had an episode on introducing a new baby to the dog - at first the dog is only allowed to observe the baby from a distance, and has to sit/down 3' away or so when baby is on Mom's lap. Lots of praise, treats. After a few weeks, the dog is allowed to approach and sniff toes, still remaining on the floor. The point he makes is that the new baby is higher in the pack than the dog.

I think it all depends on your dog, and how relaxed you are as a new parent. If you take this change in stride, then your dog won't be picking up on any tension when Joshua is in the same room. But if a new parent freaks out when the dog puts one paw into the same room as baby is in, then the poor animal will only associate bad feelings with the new baby.

Congrats and try and get some well-deserved rest!
Thank you so much for this advice! I will definitely be putting it into practice when Tia comes home. I know she would never hurt him intentionally but she is so 'exhuberant' I'm frightened of her jumping on him!

Lucy, my daughter (Joshua's mummy) is anxious about the introduction also and so I'll let her read this advice and maybe it will ease her mind - and make her understand what we have to do. I have been practising with a doll called Joshua - not letting Tia come near while were are holding the doll but it feels a lot more daunting now the 'real thing' has arrived! I'll let you know how we get on - and thank you again! x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts