Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Steven
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my three year old female missed her heat cycle. no stress, healthy, the right weight, her cycle just never happened. any reason to worry or just consider it good luck and not stress over it?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I don't think it works quite the same way with dogs, Sinister ;)

Missing a heat cycle does seem strange, I don't know what would cause this but it might be reason for a vet check. Hope someone who knows a bit more about canine reproduction will chime in.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Could have been a silent heat, where the bitch actually did go into season, but there were no observable symptoms.

Or she could have indeed missed a cycle. If it hasn't been done lately, I'd get thyroid checked. My understanding is hypothyroidism is the main reason for bitches missing heat cycles.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I don't think it works quite the same way with dogs, Sinister ;)

Missing a heat cycle does seem strange, I don't know what would cause this but it might be reason for a vet check. Hope someone who knows a bit more about canine reproduction will chime in.
Ah, I was going off my goat knowledge. They don't cycle if they're bred... But they have monthly cycles.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
my three year old female missed her heat cycle. no stress, healthy, the right weight, her cycle just never happened. any reason to worry or just consider it good luck and not stress over it?
That depends :) Was she supervised the entire time and kept away from intact males? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. And it may be that its' just coming at a different time this cycle. out of 3 intact bitches, I've only had 1 that was regular. To the day Flirt was every 6 months. My other too varied so much I just had to keep checking their parts for signs. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
UMMMM.....don't you have a 10 month old male that you posted about not being able to put weight on his leg? Is he altered? If not, I think I may have solved your problem. If he is neutered, good for you and I have no idea why but I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers. *keeping fingers crossed you say he's altered* :)

ok, that was very bad wording...if he isn't altered I didn't solve your problem, just pointed out several more to come in due time. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Dogs are not like humans who miss a period and suspect pregnancy. People ovulate during the "off" time. Dogs ovulate during their heat time. And their ovulation heat cycle is not a period at all. Two entirely different species.

Could be a silent heat. Or just could be late.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's very handy information Dobies 71, thanks for the correction :) I've never left the equipment after first heat so really don't have to knowledge to even post what I did, sorry. So (and not trying to hijack the thread) would a bitch go in heat after successfully being bred? Like I stated above, my concern is that he does in fact have a male. Whether altered or not his other post doesn't say.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Bitches usually cycle every 6 months. They drop eggs sometime within the "heat cycle."

After the cycle is over, their body hormones work the same as if they are pregnant. Thus, the false pregnancy stuff. In some bitches the false pregnancy is more apparent than others. But their body "believes" it to be pregnant each cycle. This is due to how their hormones naturally cycle.

So it really doesn't matter during the off time. They are in either true pregnancy or false pregnancy. You are just not aware of it, or very aware of it.

Which each progrestrone peak and drop there is inflamation in the uterus. Thus, the older a bitch gets the more damage from constant inflamation to the uterus. You often see older bitches who have never been spayed be "infertile" due to this inflamation process.

New information now seems to indicate that back to back breedings are now considered better than waiting inbetween as there is less inflamation build up over time.

I have seen younger bitches have larger litters when young and then when older have smaller. This may be due to the inflamtion process.

For every egg which attaches to the uterus there is left a scar where the attachement was. This is true with humans as well. Thus, a woman who has had several children is considered a higher risk pregnancy because the next fertilized egg cannot attach were the previous scar was. Which leaves the attachment areas nearer to the bottom of the uterus nearer to the cervix which can then lead to placenta previa etc.

The dog's uterus is different than a humans. It is not pear shaped. It is really like this =. It has two "horns" which grow out during a true pregnancy. During whelping you can actually feel those horns which are on each side of the bitches belly contract and often times you can feel the contents.

·
Steven
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that. In fact, just like a car with a malfunction, the noise stops as soon as you take it to the garage - she came into heat as soon as I clicked send on the message above. Three months late. She seems healthy so I guess I wont worry about it. thanks to chime in.

·
Steven
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
he is intact but not big enough yet to get his way. And always supervised when they are together. Anyway, she just came into heat as soon as I posted this message. Three months late. NOW I have to worry about him.:rule:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts