Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bellisa Dobermans
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 year old dobe that just was breed today by my 1 year old dobe. The problem is my girl has very Heath issue in the book (thyroid, liver, DCM and is vWD affected). I am waiting on progesterone results. But if she did get breed I need to research options to terminate as it will be bad for her health and not a responsible breeder to have puppies that could have her health problems. I know there was an estrogen shot that could be used but it has may side effects as spaying her is nor an option with her health. Has anyone had experience with alizin? If so was it used on a healthy dog? What issues/side effects did you have?
 

·
sufferin succotash
Joined
·
9,168 Posts
Yikes. No experience with this but I would call your vet asap about the options. With her health issues, I would not let her have pups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,834 Posts
I would have an abortive spay done.
I don't think the op views that as a plausable option with her health afflictions. I do think it should remain on the table as regardless she can't healthfully have this litter nor should she, but she's wondering if she has other options.
 

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Joined
·
26,466 Posts
I think this really is a question for your vet, who should have a good hands-on idea of the severity of each of these problems in your particular dog. I do not think it would be a good idea to let her have a litter, but your vet would be the best one to tell you how to terminate a pregnancy in your dog. Please talk to him very soon so all possible options will still be available to you.
 

·
Bellisa Dobermans
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took her to the vet right away yesterday. Still waiting on the progesterone results as they do not do them in house. The vet gave me the 3 options. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with these? Especially in a dog with health issues. The estrogen shot has to be one by tomorrow to be within 48 hours. One vet says wait 30 days & abort if pregnant the other in the office says to go to OH and try Alizin ( an experimental drug approved in Europe that Dr. Hutchinson has a case study in the US to try to get approved). Has anyone outside the states used this or has anyone been part of the case study? I have 45 days to do the study, but from what I have read you want to do it before 25. Any insight on these 3 options would be great. No matter what she is not having a litter, but I want to choose the best/safest option for her so that I do not loose her. Unfortunately spaying is not an option. She was in twilight lady fall to have a cyst removed and crashed on the table so I doubt she could do a spay & survive. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
If you have a cardiologist for your girl, you should have the vet or you should consult with the cardiologist before you make a final decision.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Adara

·
Luv-The-Nub
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
See a specialist, not so much a regular DVM....
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top