Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any of you give your dobe's Milk Bones. I've always given mine the Old Mother Hubbard biscuits. When we were at Petsmart the other day, the lady at the counter asked if she could give her a Milk Bone. I let her have one, and she LOVED it. She kept begging for more while I was checking out. I know they aren't the healthiest treats, but if I do get her some then I would probably just get the large ones and only give her one at night before she goes to bed. We always give her a couple of biscuits at bed time, because if her tummy gets too empty she throws up yellow bile in the mornings. I've talked to her vet and she said that some dogs throw up bile if they get too empty. I've also read that on other dog forums. Anyway, I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were on giving Milk Bones only in moderation?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
My guys get an extra large milk bone every night when Gary comes home from work. LOL, and if I run out of them, we almost have a riot here.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ours love the peanut butter flavor treats from Trader Joe's. A 24oz box is pretty reasonably priced, about $2.49. They actually smell more like molasses - I just wish they made them for humans, LOL.

·
Banned
675 Posts
It's only a treat, it's like a kid getting an occasional candy treat, not really nutritious, but they enjoy it. It's not like you're giving them as a regular diet. My dogs seem to like all kinds of treats equally, they like Old Mother Hubbard, they like Milkbones, they like Iams biscuits, they like supermarket brands, they like everything. But if they expressed such a preference for a particular brand of treat, I'd let them have one occasionally, I don't see it hurting anything.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
micdobe said:
It' But if they expressed such a preference for a particular brand of treat, I'd let them have one occasionally, I don't see it hurting anything.
That's my feeling as well. I'd say mine prefer Scooby Snacks taste-wise, but the sheer size of the extra large Milk Bones makes them the overwhelming favorite. They're greedy little suckers!

LOL, Rush has a whole ritual involved with eating his big milk bone biscuits..he has to trot into the living room and eat it lying down on his orthopedic dog bed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Murreydobe said:
That's my feeling as well. I'd say mine prefer Scooby Snacks taste-wise, but the sheer size of the extra large Milk Bones makes them the overwhelming favorite. They're greedy little suckers!

LOL, Rush has a whole ritual involved with eating his big milk bone biscuits..he has to trot into the living room and eat it lying down on his orthopedic dog bed.
How big are these milk bones? Any that we give are gone in milliseconds although I've only ever seen ones that are around an inch or two in length?

I like milkbones compared to Mother Hubbard since they are significantly cheaper, at least where i am. We give one inserted in a kong every day when we leave for work.

Abby has the same issue with throwing up yellow stuff in the morning if she decided to skip dinner the night before (she likes to fast every so often i guess).

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Dobedad said:
How big are these milk bones? Any that we give are gone in milliseconds although I've only ever seen ones that are around an inch or two in length?
The extra large ones are probably 5-6" long. I buy them in Petsmart. The markets around here do stock the large dog milk bones, which are still larger than the "average" size dog biscuit.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I give Canidae Snap-Biscuits and Salmon bake your own from Pet's 4 Life. I figure if I am feeding such a wholesome diet why ruin it with junk!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments. I just got back from buying a five pound box of large ones for under five dollars, and there are a lot of them in there. They should last for awhile since she will only get about one sometimes two a day. I think they are a good size for a dobe. The store I went to didn't have the extra large ones. I might try to find those next time. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I don`t see a problem with it. I probably shouldn`t eat candy, cookies, cake and ice cream, but I do on occasion.
The biscuits I give are Van Pattens` potato and duck. Kind of expensive but no loose stools. I also have used the ones from Trader Joes`. I just don`t get there often enough, but the price is right.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Mine get it when we go to a pet place too, and they always ask for more! I generally bake peanut butter dog treats here at home, but they always get various biscuits and things for gifts from family....................It's not their dinner, just a treat.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Never heard of milk bones here :sadcry: I think my two have been missing out!!! The favourite in our house at the moment are crispy fish skins and also fish biscuits which are completely natural. Do you have those over there?
As for the the bile in the morning, Abbie used to get it bad and I was told to give her a charcoal biscuit just before bed. Does the trick, she hasn't suffered from it since!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
2dobesuk said:
The favourite in our house at the moment are crispy fish skins and also fish biscuits which are completely natural. Do you have those over there?
Yeah, there are 3 big bags of fish skins in my refrigerator right now..they like them, too. (no shortage of treats around this house).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've never seen the fish skins or biscuits here. I'll bet the dogs would love them though. What kind of charcoal biscuits do you give her? We've given Skyler the Old Mother Hubbard ones before, and she still threw up. Maybe we didn't give her enough of them. She's usually fine if we give her a few biscuits right before bed time and if we feed her breakfast early. We also feed her supper around 8:00 p.m. I just wanted to try the Milk Bones since she liked them so much. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
natdobe said:
I've never seen the fish skins or biscuits here. I'll bet the dogs would love them though.
I ordered them online from sitstay.com . They're called Icelandic Dried Fish Skins-expensive, but the dogs do love them. They also love the freeze dried salmon available thru sitstay.com

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
2dobesuk said:
Never heard of milk bones here :sadcry: I think my two have been missing out!!! The favourite in our house at the moment are crispy fish skins and also fish biscuits which are completely natural. Do you have those over there?
As for the the bile in the morning, Abbie used to get it bad and I was told to give her a charcoal biscuit just before bed. Does the trick, she hasn't suffered from it since!
Me also and i have tried the crispy fish skins and they loved them they are also supposed to be very good for them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
What kind of charcoal biscuits do you give her?
Bonios, don't know if you get them in America? Thinking about it, I'm not sure whether it matters if they are charcoal or not. The main thing I think is that they have something in their stomachs before bed, although charcoal is good for digestion. I was just told to try charcoal bones and it worked so hadn't thought anymore about it until now!!
Thats the one!! My two will do anything for these!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts