Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. First post so here goes. My Doberman buddy Thunder passed away roughly 4 months ago. It has left me and my family heartbroken to say the least. Here is the rub with Thunder. The dog had the best temperment that I have ever seen out of any dog. Just full of love. The problem with Thunder was the multiple health problems that he inherited. He died of an enlarged heart that not even surgery could fix, a thyroid issue that medicine did not control that well, a skin disease that would come and go in waves to where he would literally have to sleep with a cone on his head for fear of him bloodying a part of his body up. Couple this with a stomach that could only handle vegetable processed food, ears that would get infected on a weekly basis which was being helped by with medicine and cleaning, and lastly before he died he began to get a wobble to him. To wear you could just bump him and he would sometimes fall over for no reason. Thunder only lasted a total of 4 years but even with all of these problems he was the best dog I ever had and I am tearing up just writing this.

So here I am today coming to this wonderful community asking for breeder assistance. First of all I do not want to pay a fortune for a companion dog. I have a child and a house payment like most of you have I am sure. To be frank around the 2k range. I do not need a dog that has the history of being the best in show or working or anything like that. I need a buddy that is healthy. A buddy that does not cause thousands of dollars in vet bills every other month to try and figure out what is wrong with the poor thing. So this is where you guys can help. :)

I live in the Maryland area and I am willing to travel a little bit of a distance to get a good healthy pup. The only problem is I am scared to death of getting another horrible breeder that only cares for a payout. If I could get a solid list of breeders on the East Coast in my price range and dogs with a good history of health I would forever be in your debt. Thank you all so much in advance.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I know Cara is in NY - If you go to the DPCA breeder referral sections you can search for breeders in your area. I own't even ask where you got your baby but it sounds like you did not get a lot of support from his breeder.

There are no guarantees on health but at least you can stack the deck in your favor by finding a better breeder.

I am very sorry for your loss. You time was definitely too short with him and sounds like the expenses were through the roof. Sending you a special hug and thought - Here is a lin to the Rainbow Bridge Poem if you have not heard it before.

Rainbow Bridge Home Page, Pet Loss Support, Pet Memorials, Monday Candle Service, The Rainbow Bridge Poem

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Even with the best of breeding chances are you will still have vet bills beyond the expected vaccines/neuter/dental. This is not the healthiest of breeds.

That said......dobes are the best breed in the world.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I expect the dog to have a few problems in life. I totally understand that. It was just that mine seemed to have so many problems with him at only 4 years of age I would like to lower my likelyhood of getting another with such problems.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Please please go to a breeder that health tests. The minimum testing a dober should have is vWD status, eyes, hips, and the DCM gene (I think I might be leaving one out) you should also get a pedigree for at least 3 generations back and KNOW what those dogs died from.

This way you arm yourself and your puppy with the best chance of success. Don't take a breeders word for it because you think the puppy is adorable. Keep your friend Thunder in mind and demand to see the paperwork. If they can't provide it, or the results are "pending" move on to a breeder that actually cares about their dogs.

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Please please go to a breeder that health tests. The minimum testing a dober should have is vWD status, eyes, hips, and the DCM gene (I think I might be leaving one out) you should also get a pedigree for at least 3 generations back and KNOW what those dogs died from.
Not just the DCM gene, as that is not an indicator of heart health. We have several dogs here on DT that have tested negative for the gene and are diagnosed with the disease. You want dogs to have an echo and holter yearly, at least.

OP, I'm glad you are doing your research. Take a look at this thread; it will give you a good headstart on your research and several links to explore: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breedin...rst-helpful-breeder-breeding-information.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my head is spinning even more now than it was before. I have contacted a few breeders but they want to have a face to face meeting before purchasing the pup. Problem with this is I can't drive 6 hours to have a meeting only to turn back around and go home lol. I just don't have that kind of time. And for others they will only sell to people that intend to show the dog. I simply want a pet. Is this what I can expect to go through just to get a healthy pet Doberman?

So again I ask for more help with this matter. Can anyone tell me the process of having a Doberman shipped? As in what all occurs with it? Is it safe for the dog? Should I still expect to pay 2 grand or more for a healthy pup? I am just really lost here. Again I just want a pet not a protection dog, agility dog, show dog, I just want one that licks my face and loves me like my last one.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

This way you arm yourself and your puppy with the best chance of success. Don't take a breeders word for it because you think the puppy is adorable. Keep your friend Thunder in mind and demand to see the paperwork. If they can't provide it, or the results are "pending" move on to a breeder that actually cares about their dogs.
x100!

If you want a cheap dog you could rescue? Rather than supporting the people directly who are causing alot of the problems by breeding vast quantities of unhealthy, poorly bred dogs.

IMO :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
x100!

If you want a cheap dog you could rescue? Rather than supporting the people directly who are causing alot of the problems by breeding vast quantities of unhealthy, poorly bred dogs.

IMO :)
I would consider a rescue normally but I have a young child that I do not want to bring an established dog with. I was just figuring that 2,000 should help pay for a dog with all of the testing but it seems that the breeders I have contacted do not want to simply sell a pet doberman. I am just at a loss of what to do with this.

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Which breeders have you contacted so far?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I wouldn't totally write off rescues. Some dogs arrive due to unfortunate circumstances like divorce, death, moving, etc and they are wonderful family companions. Some rescues even get puppies in.

Some rescues will not adopt to families with young children and some will. You just have to review their adoption policies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't totally write off rescues. Some dogs arrive due to unfortunate circumstances like divorce, death, moving, etc and they are wonderful family companions. Some rescues even get puppies in.

Some rescues will not adopt to families with young children and some will. You just have to review their adoption policies.
Well I dont blame the dog for being a rescue. I get that they can be there for any possible reason. I just couldnt forgive myself if something were to happen to my child with a rescue. Yes I understand it could happen with a home raised pup as well but the whole rescue thing scares me.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
My rescue dog is the best dog I've ever seen with children, and if youre adopting from a good rescue they would temprement test the dog to ensure that they match the right dog with the right person. They also get alot of puppies in, so might still be an option?

Just an idea anyway, wouldnt hurt to look :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Not just the DCM gene, as that is not an indicator of heart health. We have several dogs here on DT that have tested negative for the gene and are diagnosed with the disease. You want dogs to have an echo and holter yearly, at least.

OP, I'm glad you are doing your research. Take a look at this thread; it will give you a good headstart on your research and several links to explore: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breedin...rst-helpful-breeder-breeding-information.html
Ah yes I was half asleep when I wrote this. Holter and echo or bust :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry for your loss, especially at such a young age. They always leave us too early, this isn't the healthiest of breeds as stated earlier, but 4 years is just heartbreaking.

I am in the Midwest, so I can't speak to breeders or prices in your area, but here you would be looking to pay $1,500-$2,000 for a pet quality doberman from a reputable/ethical breeder. That would include the ear cropping as well. If the breeder doesn't do the cropping of your pup and leaves that up to you, find another breeder! If you are wanting a natural eared Dobe you will probably have problems finding a reputable breeder in the US willing to sell a pup with natural ears and tail. You would probably have to look at rescue or maybe Canada.

I can tell from your recent postings that you are getting frustrated in your search. IMO, that's totally understandable, it is frustrating, especially to someone new to it (and I am far from a "pro" and also not a breeder). But I would like to give you some advice and things to keep in mind while you are doing your search for the right companion for your family.

Please don't get so frustrated that you run back to a BYB or commercial breeder. You WILL find the right breeder for you, just don't expect it to happen today. Most ethical breeders do not have puppies available at all times. They have families, careers, dog shows, a lot are involved in rescue, and on and on. They don't breed dogs for a profit. They are breeding for themselves. When they breed a litter they are wanting their next show dog(s). They are not breeding for pet quality (although all dogs are bred to be pets as well of course), but there are always going to be pet quality dogs in every litter. Most of the breeders are going to have a waiting list for their pups, pet or show, and they will be promised for before they are born. Even being on a list is not a guarantee, you never know how many pets or show puppies are going to be in a litter, but an ethical breeder wants to know there are homes for the pups they are producing BEFORE they are born.

This is where it gets hard in finding a pup for a newbie. And the frustration builds. I was on 3 different breeders lists and the perfect pup for me wasn't born in any of the litters. I had built up a good relationship with one of the breeders and she referred me to another breeder who had a pup from an oops litter still available. Besides color he was exactly what we were looking for. After being on lists for over 2 years we got our boy from fully health tested parents (both have now been finished I believe) and I will say it seems like fate that we got him. He is one of the most amazing dogs I have come across; I would have waited another 2 years or more to have him. I love my girl but he is my "heart dog". He was more than worth the wait and I am sure you will have the same with patience and doing research and finding the right breeder. Just don't expect it to happen overnight ;)

I would also look into dog shows in your area. You can meet multiple breeders and their dogs at the show.

tl;dr:
BYB suck, ethical breeders rule! Don't get frustrated and research research research :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Try not to get too frustrated yet. I think you will definitely be able to find a dog for $1500-$1800. I wouldn't pay more than that, either.

Did you find the breeder list on the DCPA website? Sorry, I wish I could give you some breeder suggestions, but I'm not familiar with the area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts