HomeAgain® will be changing a few things in regards to their services.
What was the service before?
In the past, the microchip was implanted, and the owner paid a one-time activation fee of $17.50 to HomeAgain® to register with the national database.
If the cat became lost, the owner was responsible for calling local vets, shelters, and rescues to let them know the pet is missing and may be in the area.
Any stray animal found by a shelter, rescue, or veterinary hospital (all of which have microchip scanners), would be scanned for a microchip. If the scanner picks up a chip, the employee would call the HomeAgain® database, report the number, and the owner was contacted.
What is the service now?
Effective immediately, HomeAgain® has changed the registration cost from a one-time activation fee, to an annual membership fee. In return for annual membership, HomeAgain® is offering more proactive ways to recover lost pets, including:
What is the cost of membership?
- Issuing local alerts (like Amber Alert) to all local vets, shelters, and rescues in your area when you call HomeAgain® and report your lost pet.
- Ability to quickly create personalized “Lost Pet” posters with all your cat’s info by logging into your cat’s account on www.homeagain.com and printing the posters at home.
- The facility who finds your cat will receive critical health alerts such as if your cat is diabetic or has kidney disease, etc., and so your cat can have the proper medical treatment (if needed) until he/she is returned to you.
- You have online access to all your cat’s vaccination records. Printable vaccination info is convenient for emergencies or boarding.
- You receive a Pet I.D. card which contains your cat’s photo, name, breed, color, weight, age, gender, and vaccination information. You get an updated card every year.
The initial year will cost $24.99, which includes the $10.00 one-time activation fee and the $14.99 annual membership fee.
After the initial year, the cost is $14.99 per year. Additional pet annual memberships are $9.99 per year.
What is the cost of microchip implantation?
Each shelter, rescue, or veterinary hospital has different prices. The cost at The Cat Practice to have your cat microchipped is $45.00.
What if I don’t want to pay an annual fee?
If you’re cat is already microchipped, and you do not wish to pay the annual membership fee, the HomeAgain® service will default back to the old service.
If you are planning to have your cat microchipped, you will need to pay the initial $24.99 for the first year, but it is up to you whether you want to pay the annual membership fee after that to receive the extra benefits or not. The above benefits may give extra peace of mind to owners whose cats go or escape outside, or may become lost.
For more information regarding HomeAgain’s® new pet recovery system, please call 1-888-HOMEAGAIN, or go online at www.homeagain.com
to edit your cat’s profile and to update your contact information.