Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im new here so hello. I have a question im hoping a more experienced doberman owner can answer. I just purchased my first doberman pup. Her name is Layla & shes 8 wks old. Ive been doing alot of reading on doberman colors, types, characteristics, traits, history, etc. & came across an article about albinos. Long story short, I went to the breeders house & he had 3 pups left. 2 were brown, like the mother, and one was greyish/bluish with blue eyes. Was that dog an albino? If so, will there be genetic/gene problems with my dog? I have a pic of the blue eyed pup if that will help.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,234 Posts
Sound like the pup is a dilute, probably a fawn. An albino would be a paler cream color, with white markings, instead of rust. Dilutes tend to have lighter eyes than blacks or reds (that is the official name for brown Dobes in the US). Is your pup the blue-eyed one? If so, you need to go to the DPCA website, and read up on Color Dilution Alopecia.

Reactions: My4BadDogs

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,234 Posts
There are four colors there are black, red, blue and fawn. Blue is a dilution of black. Fawn is a dilution of red. This will show you how color is inherited in Dobes. DPCA | The Doberman | Standard Albino Dobes have their "real" color masked by the albino mutation, so they can still have normal colored offspring, as well as albino.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,234 Posts
Ok yes i see what your saying. Makes sense. So i have nothing to worry about then?
Well, do you know if the breeder tested the sire and dam for health problems like vWD and cardio? This link is about the more common and/or serious (cardio is both common and serious) problems in Dobes. DPCA | The Doberman | Health Good breeders will test their breeding dogs for as many of them as possible before breeding. Some of them, like hips and vWD need only be tested once, while things like cardio and thyroid should be tested annually. This thread http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/109570-registration-health-clearance-documents.html shows what the documents look like.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,234 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Many puppies have blue eyes when they are young, some take a while to change. As an example, my boy (not a Doberman) had blue-gray eyes up until I think about 12-13 weeks of age.. They're now brown.

Most puppies eye colors will have changed or start to change by eight weeks, but not all pups in a litter will have their eye color adjust at the same rate. My boy's brother's eyes were almost entirely brown at 8 weeks and completely brown by 10. Two of the litter mates had completely brown eyes at 8 weeks. Another had blue-gray eyes, but I'm not sure how long hers took as I don't know her owner.

But with this breed, eye color in a young pup would be the least of my concerns in evaluating a breeder.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A closer pic
Well, do you know if the breeder tested the sire and dam for health problems like vWD and cardio? This link is about the more common and/or serious (cardio is both common and serious) problems in Dobes. DPCA | The Doberman | Health Good breeders will test their breeding dogs for as many of them as possible before breeding. Some of them, like hips and vWD need only be tested once, while things like cardio and thyroid should be tested annually. This thread http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/109570-registration-health-clearance-documents.html shows what the documents look like.
Honestly not sure. I got registration papers and that was it......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The breeder was an older guy probably in his 60s who absolutely loved dobermans. Thats all hes ever owned. He had his first one in the early 70s & has been breeding for the past few yrs. Was a very christian man & def loved the breed and really cared for his dogs. It really showed. He knew alot about them too!

·
Fawntastic
862 Posts
Looks like you have a Fawn.

Gemma is Fawn and she started with Blue/Gray eyes. They are now a very light (unacceptable) yellow.

I highly suggest you read up on dilutes.

If you google CDA (color dilution alopecia) you will find good links to the problems your puppy may encounter later on.
75% of fawns will start losing their hair and having thinning or balding patches in their fawn fur. Their rust color will stay.
It can lead to more skin infections, skin cancer (they need sun protection), and other skin and coat issues. There is nothing you can do to stop it, only treat the symptoms.
Educate yourself as best you can, and you will be ready to tackle your pups issues as they pop up, unless you're one of the lucky 25%.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,234 Posts
The breeder was an older guy probably in his 60s who absolutely loved dobermans. Thats all hes ever owned. He had his first one in the early 70s & has been breeding for the past few yrs. Was a very christian man & def loved the breed and really cared for his dogs. It really showed. He knew alot about them too!
Honestly not sure. I got registration papers and that was it......
If you never saw the certificates, then it's a good bet they were never tested. He probably does love his dogs, but likely isn't as knowledgeable as he should be. Being a good Christian and being a good breeder are not mutually inclusive. Some of the worst puppy mills in the country are run by Amish families.

Love your pup, and have her spayed (after testing her for vWD through either VetGen VetGen - Veterinary Genetic Services or Vetnostic https://www.vetnostic.com/ ).

I'm assuming she's not cropped? If she's not, I'd go ahead and leave her ears natural. But, if you just have to have her cropped, tell us where you are, and we can steer you towards a cropper who knows what they are doing.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
These were the pups he had. As you can see, the one on the right is greyish
My concern, seeing that pic, is those poor young pups have apparently been exposed to toxic cedar shavings, from the get-go.

I still cannot believe cedar is sold as pet bedding, needs to be pulled off the market, and if we had any kind of good consumer protection for pets, it would be.

That said, the breeder should have known better. It has been well documented, since the 1980s, that the phenols in cedar cause respiratory and liver damage, in mammals.

OSHA has a whole set of regulations just for lumber workers who have to be exposed to cedar, all kinds of safety gear and monitoring.

I seriously couldn't breath I was laughing so hard. Not what I had expected to read, caught me off guard. :roflmao:
I do not know why it seems so many bad breeders tend to spout that "I'm a good Christian" thing so often.

I used to work for a woman who was sweet as pie, to chat with you, always kept a new daily Bible verse on the chalkboard in her kitchen, and would have had Jesus--were he to come back and visit her--hopping mad and wanting to jam one of his Jerusalem cruiser sandals right up her backside, if he saw the absolute lack of compassion and caring she practiced, for all her animals.

OP, it only takes a tiny bit more knowledge about a subject, than we have, for someone to look "impressive" at first glance. More research often reveals them as...very substandard.

Love your pup, and stick around for the information here--you'll likely need it, as this breeder won't be any kind of reliable source for accurate info for you and your growing puppy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts