Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the last stage of the Tour Of California, a nine day bicycle race that starts up in San Francisco and finished up in Long Beach. Being a big fan of cycling I couldn't pass up the short drive to Long Beach to see the top professional cyclists race. Free admission and dogs are allowed. The best deal in pro sports.

Even though great weather was forecast, it was raining a bit when we got there. Enough to have to turn on the wipers.

Our first stop was "Dog Zone" in Long Beach to throw the Frisbee for a while. Dog Zone is a three acre stretch of beach where dogs are allowed to run loose.

That is the old steamship Queen Mary above Mensa's head:

Even though it was raining when we showed up, it soon turned out to be a real nice day:

And before long the race got going. They were racing laps around a 7.75 mile circuit through the middle of town, much of it along the Grand Prix course.

Even there was excitement and chaos going on all over the place, Mensa never got excited.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course, one of the big reasons Mensa gets to go along to things like this is so she can meet strangers:

And the stranger the better:

Sorry, no Mensa in this next photo. This guy wasn't here to fool around. When the racers came by, he had serious business to tend to, and a Doberman would just get in his way.

Between laps, there was time to watch a little TV. The guy on the screen is Tour de France Champion, Floyd Landis:

And there was time to check out the latest in Grand Prix racing technology:

Did I mention it turned out to be a real nice day?

On the way home we stopped at one more Dog Park so Mensa could get in some more Frisbee time. All in all, it was a perfect day!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Those are some awesome strangers you meet there Chaz. I don't think I would have controlled my smile. Loved the one with the bikes zooming by her in motion. I think it is the third one. Beautiful day you had. Beats the storm we had with the power going in and out.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DreamDoby writes:

"Loved the one with the bikes zooming by her in motion."

I wish I knew what I did to make that happen. I took almost 300 shots today, so it figures at least a couple would be worth keeping.

Days like this I miss using my old 35mm SLR. Sometimes I would crank the shutter speed down to 1/60 or 1/30 second for shots like that.

But these guys WERE flying! They did 78 miles (125 km) in under 2 hours, 40 minutes. And most of them consider a race this early in their season a "warm-up". Look for them to REALLY burn it up in July when these same guys race the Tour de France.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Yeah I don't think Mischa would have sat still either,top pics as usual Chaz and it looks like a good day was had by all.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
It's like a day in the life of Mensa...lol Great shots. What was the temperture that day? There seems to be alot of people in jeans and not shorts??

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Awesome pics as always Chaz, that is great that Mensa was so calm with all the bikes. Rommel would have wondered where all the springers were, he would want to run with them. All he has to do is see my bike and he goes ape $hit.

I LOVE Mensa and the guy with the afro, that is tooooo funny. Great job socializing that girl!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I wonder if any of the riders sprinted just a little harder as they passed the waiting Doberman? Very cool pictures!

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Those are great pictures - I bet she slept well at the end of the day - LOL!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Loved your pictures. She is a pretty girl.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Those are super, Chaz! I love the one of her standing in front of the goofy guy w/the eagle head and flag. You know it's said that dobies have the "look of eagles", and I think that in her pose there, Mensa seems to be actually smiling (or smirking) at the comparison.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Great pictures as usual. We were in Long Beach maybe 15 years ago. I remember the road--they car race there too I think? We were there for a swim meet with one of the boys. We had a good time.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AHP, Much of the course is where the Long Beach Grand Prix is going to be run this April. I could tell by the concrete barriers in the street. If Formula 1 started running at Long Beach again, I'd be back. I like Formula 1 almost as much as the Bike Races.

I hadn't been to Long Beach in a very long time, myself. Last time I was there, I took a young lady to the Long Beach Arena to see an Al DiMeola/Jan Hammer concert in 1982. My Volkswagen broke down in the worst part of L.A. on the way home and we were towed home by a tow-truck driver who was drinking brandy and wrecked his rig before we were through. No second date for me!

Before that, when I was a kid my Dad would take me out to an old, run down amusement park in Long Beach called The Pike. It was right on the water, and it was a rough looking place. Lots of Sailors. They used to have an old, rickety roller-coaster that went out over the ocean and scared the hell out of me. The Pike's gone now.

Okie-dobie, the temps were in the low-to-mid 60's. Very comfortable. I started off wearing a long-sleeve shirt, but by the second lap (out of ten) I was wearing short sleeves. Great bike riding weather, but a little windy.

Mensa really behaved herself great! All day there was all kinds of things happening; four or five helicopters flying low, Police cars and motorcycles blowing sirens, at least 100 racers, each team had at least one "support" vehichle following the pack, TV motorcycles and other *press* vehichles, and that was just on the race course.

On the sidelines, where we were, TV reported 200,000 people were in attendence. Spectators riding bicycles on sidewalks, pushing strollers, yelling, screaming, ringing cow-bells and banging together these inflatable tubes making an incredible racket. Mensa walked right through the densest crowds without a problem and paid absolutely no attention to the chaos going on all around her. Better than I had expected.

We watched the last lap from the grandstands on the finish line. At first, Mensa didn't want to climb up the flimsy looking stairway to our seats, and people were laughing at her/us. Then I told her there was a "rat" up there. That did it! She RAN up the stairs at the very end of the leash, all the way to the very top.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Those are great photos!! Mensa is stunning :) That is great how she coped with all the noise and activity, what an ambassador she is for the breed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts