Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here had any experience with treating a dog with melanoma in the toe using the vaccine? Treatment suggested is surgical removal of 2 digits to get a clear margin. The vaccine every 2 weeks for 8 weeks and a 6 month booster.
The survival time prognosis is a bit confusing and that is what I was hoping to hear about. One source said approx 1 yr and I have seen reported medial survival times up to almost 3 yrs.
Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess the good thing about no response to a question like this is that no one has had the misfortune of encountering this horrible cancer. At least that is good news.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't have anything of value for you. My one experience with melanoma was that some years ago, my parents' young Chesapeake Bay Retriever had a melanoma removed from his tongue. This was pre-vaccine, they got clean margins when they removed it, and he lived a long life after and it never was another issue. I was kinda surprised to read what you have found with regard to mortality... I had assumed that clean margins meant you had a pretty good chance of being in good shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts