Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
29,901 Posts
Hi, Stevie! You are adorable.

And welcome to DT from Colorado!

(Oh, I'd drop the vet wrap from her posts. It is notorious for shrinking and easy to put on too tight without realizing it, both of which can cut off the ear's circulation--it's just too chancy to use,)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
29,901 Posts
We have a good tutorial here for a method most of us use--

It looks like the method that was used for your puppy is very similar--minus the vet wrap.

I think in your case you may just be able to add a couple of strips of tape in place of the wrap--it looks like it is not used at the bottom of the ear, but is mostly there for looks? If there is the white tape under the vet wrap, you may be able to just take off the wrap and leave it as is.

When you put the tape on, make SURE you are just laying it around the ear loosely and then squeeze it together so it sticks to both itself and the pup's ear.

·
Big Lil pup
8,330 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome and the tips! Oh no, taking off the wrap as we speak. Does anyone have a YouTube video or resource they’d recommend for re-wrapping?
Boy, have you come to the right place.

Member greenkouki has put together a terrific visual tutorial on posting using backer rod. If you follow it carefully and return to ask questions if you have any questions, concerns or issues, you will have no problems. Here is a link to the discussion:
How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

And here is a link to a thread on the best way to remove tape and posts when re-posting the ears every few days:
How to: Gently Remove Ear Posts

A few things;
I have not seen Stevie's ears. So, I don't know what they were like before they were wrapped previously. It is absolutely essential that her ears are completely healed before you begin to post them. The sutures must be out and then you must wait until there are no scabs or sores and all you have is clean, new, pink skin.

Also, the thread called out to use "Zonas" tape. Recently, J&J Zonas has been difficult to find. Johnson and Johnson now markets the same tape for retail under the brand name: Jonson & Johnson Coach Sports Tape. It is available on Amazon, Walmart and many other retail outlets. Ideally you should use either Zonas or Coach Sports tape.

Band-Aid Johnson & Johnson Coach Sports Tape, 1.5 by 10 Yards, White, Pack of 3

I suggest that to begin with, two people should do the posting. One to hold and reward the pup, and the other to post the ears. Be calm and relaxed. Make this a positive experience for both you and the pup. It can be a tremendous opportunity to bond.

Lastly... Someone will always be here to help you. Do not hesitate to come on an ask for siupport

Have fun!

John L
Portland OR

Edit to say> looks like Mel beat me to the keyboard. Same link. I'm just wordier! LOL

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Welcome to Doberman Talk Stevie. You've already gotten pretty much the same information about where to find help on learning to tape and a couple of big no no's and I'll just add the fact that DT really has a bunch of people who are very knowlegeable when it comes to ears and posting and is a great place for that help and many other issues that inevitably crop up as puppies grow.

She's very cute--you'll have a lot of fun with her.

dobebug

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
6,387 Posts
SM, welcome to DT from San Antonio! What a photogenic little beauty your Stevie is! (y)
She reminds me of a little Sypha (another very camera loving Dobergal on this Forum)
Good luck with the posting and keep updating with pictures, which we all love!

-----------------------------------------------------------

...Like Mel said - loose the wrap!
Alan, No, yuz loose the wrap. wiseguy!... (in best Joe Pesci voice) 😁

·
Registered
48 Posts
Boy, have you come to the right place.

Member greenkouki has put together a terrific visual tutorial on posting using backer rod. If you follow it carefully and return to ask questions if you have any questions, concerns or issues, you will have no problems. Here is a link to the discussion:
How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

And here is a link to a thread on the best way to remove tape and posts when re-posting the ears every few days:
How to: Gently Remove Ear Posts

A few things;
I have not seen Stevie's ears. So, I don't know what they were like before they were wrapped previously. It is absolutely essential that her ears are completely healed before you begin to post them. The sutures must be out and then you must wait until there are no scabs or sores and all you have is clean, new, pink skin.

Also, the thread called out to use "Zonas" tape. Recently, J&J Zonas has been difficult to find. Johnson and Johnson now markets the same tape for retail under the brand name: Jonson & Johnson Coach Sports Tape. It is available on Amazon, Walmart and many other retail outlets. Ideally you should use either Zonas or Coach Sports tape.

Band-Aid Johnson & Johnson Coach Sports Tape, 1.5 by 10 Yards, White, Pack of 3

I suggest that to begin with, two people should do the posting. One to hold and reward the pup, and the other to post the ears. Be calm and relaxed. Make this a positive experience for both you and the pup. It can be a tremendous opportunity to bond.

Lastly... Someone will always be here to help you. Do not hesitate to come on an ask for siupport

Have fun!

John L
Portland OR

Edit to say> looks like Mel beat me to the keyboard. Same link. I'm just wordier! LOL
Check out Doberman Bottomline on YouTube

1 - 20 of 23 Posts