Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been stalking this site for a couple of months now. I adopted a doberman a couple of weeks ago so I figured it was time to sign up.

Well like I said, I adopted Ruger a couple of weeks ago at the local shelter and they estimate that he is 1 year old. From what I have read on here, so far he has been an excellent dog. He is great with other dogs, large and small, in fact his buddy at the shelter was a chihuahua. He is also great with kids (I don't have any, but my nephews and niece came to visit and he loved them). He did escape from his crate while I was at work (smart boy) and when I saw him waiting by the door for me I was expecting a disaster. To my surprise, he did not have an accident in the house and the only thing chewed up was my toothbrush (he has good personal hygiene). I already knew he was potty trained, but I was very proud that he held it the whole time considering that he was in an unfamiliar house. So after a new toothbrush and a gate to block the stairs, I figured I would let him have free roam of the house while I'm at work. It's been a couple of weeks and besides the shredding of paper towels and a DVD, he hasn't destroyed anything of value (I think he sleeps on the couch all day).

I have been taking him on 2 walks a day for about 45 minutes to an hour (one before work and one after work), but I feel that he is not getting enough exercise. I've tried fetch (looks at me like I'm a moron for throwing the toy). He doesn't like tug; in fact he isn't that into his toys (maybe that's his way of tricking me into buying more). While outside, he doesn't run around (I have a large fenced backyard), he just wants to bark at the neighbor's dogs. The only running I can get him to do is jogging with him or having him run up and down the stairs (he loves this), but I'm afraid that this is bad for him as he is only 1 and he likes to jump from the 4th step. I bought him a flirt pole, but it hasn't come in yet. Do you guys have any suggestions for exercise?

We're enrolled in obedience class and have our second class tonight. He is doing very well so far. The trainer recommended some IQ toys to keep him busy (Kong and another ball toy that dispenses treats), but they only last about 5 minutes before he gets all the treats (even set on the most difficult setting).

We're going to see the vet next week for boosters. Also, unfortunately, from what I've read on here about lick granuloma, I think he might have it as he licks his paws and legs quite a bit and they look a little scabbed. I'll talk to the vet about it.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the future, but for now here are some pictures. Sorry about the crappy phone pics (guess it's time to buy a camera).

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
Welcome! He sure looks comfy on the couch! As he settles in he might be more interested in toys.

Reactions: ar-wg

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
... I've tried fetch (looks at me like I'm a moron for throwing the toy). ...

blahahah! How well I know that look. "Well if you wanted it, you dumb human, why did you throw it away??"

As far as enrichment toys, have you tried a Buster cube? I used to give Delta her dinner in one of these, especially on rainy days and she'd beat it all around the kitchen for quite some time to get the kibble out. (Warning: hard plastic toy + linoleum floors = LOUD, but easy to clean.)

Also, adding peanut butterto the kong and freezing it will make it take longer for him to finish.

Thank you for rescuing! Looks like Ruger has settled into the good life quite readily! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome! He sure looks comfy on the couch! As he settles in he might be more interested in toys.
He LOVES the couch. I hope he starts to gain interest in his toys, I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to exercise him enough lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blahahah! How well I know that look. "Well if you wanted it, you dumb human, why did you throw it away??"

As far as enrichment toys, have you tried a Buster cube? I used to give Delta her dinner in one of these, especially on rainy days and she'd beat it all around the kitchen for quite some time to get the kibble out. (Warning: hard plastic toy + linoleum floors = LOUD, but easy to clean.)

Also, adding peanut butterto the kong and freezing it will make it take longer for him to finish.

Thank you for rescuing! Looks like Ruger has settled into the good life quite readily! :D
I haven't tried the Buster Cube, I'll order one today. I ordered a Tug Jug the other day, hopefully he'll like it.

I've heard of adding peanut butter to the Kong, but I'm worried that it'll make a mess on the carpet while I'm gone. If it's frozen, is it fairly clean?

And he has settled in quite nicely. It's no longer my house. Now if I could only get him to pay the mortgage....

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
He seems wonderful and what a handsome boy.

Be careful with the flirt pole as heavy exercising with that puts an incredible amount of torque and strain on their bodies as well being kept in such a tight radius. I would never use one to "exercise" a dog. I only use one for young puppies (under 3 months). It's fun for them and they don't have enough strength and speed to do any damage to themselves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He seems wonderful and what a handsome boy.

Be careful with the flirt pole as heavy exercising with that puts an incredible amount of torque and strain on their bodies as well being kept in such a tight radius. I would never use one to "exercise" a dog. I only use one for young puppies (under 3 months). It's fun for them and they don't have enough strength and speed to do any damage to themselves.
Thanks for the warning. I don't want to do him any harm of course, I'll use it lightly and not to exercise him.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Welcome from Colorado. I have a Ruger too! And he is a rescue, and just over a year old (we think). How funny. They even look alike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts