Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! New to this site and very appreciative of all the great information I found! I'd like to introduce my brand new pup Vader. I got him at 10 weeks old, he is 13 weeks now. I got him from the King of Darkness Doberman kennel. I've had Dobes in my family but never a pup of my own. Very excited! First time trying to link pictures so hopefully this works.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and love the pictures you posted. I have heard that they have some nice Dobermans. Keep htose beautiful ears posted. Do not leave them down for more than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pick of him at the vets with the mediocre taping job on his ears was my doing. I found a vet that was good at taping them up to give me a hand and she is telling me to leave them down for a full day in between taping?

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Do not leave them down for a hole day. When you take the posts out (every 5-7 days), clean the ears, make sure there are no sores or infections in the ears, let them air out for an hour or less, then repost.
Very handsome boy. cool name
Maybe someone in the Orlando area can help you.
CashKO also got a puppy from King of Darkness

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all! Good to know. The vet has wrapped them twice for me while I paid close attention. Gonna take them down soon and I'll start wrapping them myself, I feel confident now. I'll post pics of my efforts. My previous failures were because I didn't put the post in deep enough and start wrapping the tape low enough. He shook it off in about 3 hours. You'd think as a paramedic, with what I've seen and done I'd be able to muster up the courage to put the posts in right but I guess it's a little different when you're taking care of your baby boy! :D

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Thank you all! Good to know. The vet has wrapped them twice for me while I paid close attention. Gonna take them down soon and I'll start wrapping them myself, I feel confident now. I'll post pics of my efforts. My previous failures were because I didn't put the post in deep enough and start wrapping the tape low enough. He shook it off in about 3 hours. You'd think as a paramedic, with what I've seen and done I'd be able to muster up the courage to put the posts in right but I guess it's a little different when you're taking care of your baby boy! :D
Yeah I've had to bandage Juno a few times. Muchhh different. Good luck with posting and post more pictures!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Make sure when you put the post in. You pull up some on the ear then start taping.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Welcome! I never left posts down for more than a few minutes thanks to all the great advice on here from experienced breeders/owners. There is no purpose in leaving them down. That will allow them to break over and undo all your work! Of course, if you get a raw area that is a VERY DIFFERENT STORY so keep a close watch on all the skin that will be under the tape. Please use the link above and learn all you can about posting. It's not that hard but it also can go very wrong if you are not careful. Vets don't necessarily know the best methods so the link above is invaluable.

·
Registered
361 Posts
He's so handsome!! I think you could do a better taping job at home if you watch the videos posted here. Sometimes the vets tend to use to much tape and the bridge in the middle might make them tilt inward. Although, I have helped with puppies that actually NEEDED that bridge! :) I bet ya' money you could do a beautiful (and even BETTER job at home!)..he'll grow into those ears and be a beauty! I also wouldn't leave them down for longer than 30 minutes or so at a time. (if that long)..until after teething. Seriously though,LOVELY Doberman. Can't wait to watch him grow and mature! :) LOVE his name!! :nicejob:

·
Registered
361 Posts

OH..one more thing..(which you probably already know I'm sure)..make sure you don't flatten out the natural fold in his ear! THAT makes a big difference and you do NOT want to do that. :) Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
So happy to here you have a KOD Dobie!! As stryker said, I own Valentino King of Darkness from the "V" litter! I love her dogs and Andrea is wonderful to work with. I am also a career Firefighter/EMT and work in Charlotte, NC. I moved up here about 5 years ago from Boca Raton and had lived there for 8 years... Been to Orlando a couple times:) I think my friend/acquaintance works for Orlando as well. Inbox me if you have an questions about anything, I hopefully can help you out... have owned a couple Euros and my sister who lives here also has one from Serbia. Very good looking pup, I wouldnt expect anything less from KOD!! How did you here about KOD??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OH..one more thing..(which you probably already know I'm sure)..make sure you don't flatten out the natural fold in his ear! THAT makes a big difference and you do NOT want to do that. :) Good luck!! :)
Thank you for the advice! I've watched every video I could find and feel confident. Today is Sunday Fun Day by the pool! I'm going to re-tape them later tonight and hopefully post pics right after for some critique. The only bit I'm still confused about is this ear fold stuff. I've heard mention of it and seen one video where it was flattened and another where then made sure it was folded back? This is the only part about the taping I'm still confused about. :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So happy to here you have a KOD Dobie!! As stryker said, I own Valentino King of Darkness from the "V" litter! I love her dogs and Andrea is wonderful to work with. I am also a career Firefighter/EMT and work in Charlotte, NC. I moved up here about 5 years ago from Boca Raton and had lived there for 8 years... Been to Orlando a couple times:) I think my friend/acquaintance works for Orlando as well. Inbox me if you have an questions about anything, I hopefully can help you out... have owned a couple Euros and my sister who lives here also has one from Serbia. Very good looking pup, I wouldnt expect anything less from KOD!! How did you here about KOD??
Stay safe out there! I've been a firefighter/paramedic with Orlando for the last 5 years. I love it and couldn't imagine doing anything else!
Funny that you ask how I found KOD, it was your posting concerning the process you went through to get Valentino from KOD that I found when doing my research on Euro dobe kennels. That's actually how I stumbled across Dobermantalk so thank you for that and for taking the plunge with KOD and making me feel safer about selecting a doberman from her site unseen. I couldn't be happier! Vader is an amazing puppy and I can't wait to watch him mature. He is from her "Y" litter. Andrea is super nice and still sending me emails asking how things are going. I told her of my struggles with the ears and she made me a slideshow a few days ago. She's great!
On a side note, the USAR task force has quite a few Orlando personnel on it but no dog team. They said no one in the history of OFD has ever been a handler/search and rescue dog team. When my Lt. heard of Vaders pedigree he asked if i'd be interested in training him for search work to help with the usar teams and they would possibly pay for all the training. Not sure if anyone on this site has a search and rescue dobe or has ever heard of a dobe doing search and rescue work? Apparently there are some but very rare. Any thoughts? I planned on going all the way with his obedience training. He's the pup I've always wanted and am so enthusiastic! But I never thought of search and rescue work with him. I know it's tough and takes alot of time but I have both the time and desire if he has the potential. I mean, who doesn't want to take their dog to work with them? :D

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Welcome to DT. Beautiful boy.

Don't get frustrated wrapping his ears. Sometimes you have to wrap them and five minutes later re-wrap them. Have a glass of wine. sometimes you might even feel like you have to sit on your pup! LOL. Won't be long until you are very good at it.

When I was first learning, two things that helped me was when I learned to back wrap the tape and to hold the ear taunt toward the ceiling.

Again, welcome from KC.

Reactions: FireRescueOFD
1 - 20 of 24 Posts