Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the breeder that my puppy would have a medium pet crop, but after six months of posting the tips are still a bit soft and floppy. I was thinking that Riker's crop seems a bit long, does anyone have an opinion on this? I am also debating on going to breathe right strips instead of full posts and was wondering if that would work at this point. He is my first Dobe, and I want to make sure his ears turn out just right!:nicejob:

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was told by the breeder that my puppy would have a medium pet crop, but after six months of posting the tips are still a bit soft and floppy. I was thinking that Riker's crop seems a bit long, does anyone have an opinion on this? I am also debating on going to breathe right strips instead of full posts and was wondering if that would work at this point. He is my first Dobe, and I want to make sure his ears turn out just right!:nicejob:
No expert, but looks good to me...but is definitely not a medium crop. My cropping vet told me to leave the ears alone if they were standing, try it out and see if the main part start to droop any...if not and it's just the tips, do the breathe rights. But a tiny little curve at the tip is cute in my opinion, but to each their own.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I love the shape of his ears. To me, the crop looks a bit longer than a medium crop - it is very beautiful though. As far as breathe right strips and that kind of advice, I can't really help you as I don't have experience with that (my puppy is having her ear crop surgery today, and I am doing to do the whole ear posting thing very soon ). Anyway, his ears look very nice in my opinion, beautiful dog.:)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
It looks like a long crop to me but it's very well done.

If the base is standing very strong and the tips are only a little floppy than I would move on to breathe-right strips. However, if the base isn't strong or the tips flop around a lot I'd post for a while longer. Like you said - better safe than sorry :] I posted until 8.5 or 9 months and then used breathe-rights for another few months before finally calling it done, even though they were probably done by 8 months.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
What a lovely crop!

Personally, I don't have experience with breathe-rights (Elka's was in fact short), but I think that's what you would need in this case if most of the rest of it is standing.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That's a very nice crop, although it's more of a long crop. I would just continue posting until they're done. The tips aren't going to be 100% inflexible...I noticed my girls would dip slightly when running, which is normal. They gained their strength when not posted. Everyone has their own theory though. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have likely what would be considered a medium crop on my pup and was done posting just before 5 months.
I would upload a picture but can't seem to be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Looks like a medium/long crop to me. You have to remember that he will continue to grow into those ears, so they will look shorter and shorter until he is done growing.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Just keep posting. 6 months is nothing, my dog is almost 2 years old and his tips still aren't done, but they are getting there.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Nice crop! Honestly I think the crop your dog has looks better on most Dobermans than a medium crop anyway. Don't worry, he will grow into it. I remember thinking my dog's crop was too long when he was a puppy, but his head grew into them and they are perfect now :)

I would keep posting at least another month. Ears notoriously fall during teething, and at 6 months, he is still in that gray zone. Better be safe and keep posting than to let them fall which will set you back and increase your overall posting time anyway.

If in a month, the tips are still a bit soft, but the base is nice and solid, do a search for Breathe Right strips and you can start using those to finish. Or PM me when the time comes and I can send you the "how-to" on using the strips.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Crop looks real good and I agree that once he grows into those ears they will look even better. Definately not a medium crop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts