Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. As some of you may know that Princi had recently hurt one of toe nails. She was prescribed the following meds:

Clavamox 375mg 1 1/4 tablets twice daily.
Tramadol HCL 50mg 2 1/2 tablets twice daily.

I am having second thoughts about giving her almost 8 tablets in 24hrs. I have been doing so for a few days now but it just doesn't feel right. I am thinking about asking the vet if I should stop the pain med, as she doesn't seem to be in any pain, and just continue the antibiotic.

But before I call the vet I wanted to know what you guys thought. Is this feeling I have of giving her "TOO MUCH" medication wrong?

Thanks
Naveen and Princi

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Wasn't she in pain before the meds though? Limping and such? I think the number of pills she's taking is b/c of her weight too. If you are uncomfortable with it, definitely speak to your vet and see if you can at least cut her back, if you don't stop altogether with the pain meds. Keep us updated okay.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. She was showing signs of pain, however, it was only when she would get up after a long period of laying down on her right side. Which is why I suspected joint problem. But at the same time we found out that she had hurt her toe nail so that was a prossibility too. She hasn't limped since I went to the vet (almost a week now), which is a great thing. So for that reason I was wondering if stopping the pain med would be ok. I don't have anything against meds but I just tend not to take them or give them to my dobie if not necessary. I will ask the vet though.

Thanks again
Naveen and Princi

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I hear ya, keep us updated on the girl okay.... That is great news in itself that it is the toenail and not a joint problem

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Naveen,
My vet told me most Dobies will keep their pain hidden, they like you to think they're tough. If Princi was limping she was probably pretty sore. She might not be totaly pain free now, but in good enough shape where she can hide it from you. My vet has Dobies, too.

It couldn't hurt to double check with your vet, though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chaz, thanks, I did check with the vet and he said the same thing you did!! So the meds will continue. Oh, and I would not discontinue the meds on my judgement alone...oh no.

Well the good news so far is that the limping has stopped, even after laying down for some time. Hopefully it stays that way and we can go back out and romp again like we used to......I miss that

oh and so does Princi..lol

Naveen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts