Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those pics were taken last summer at Huntington Beach, Orange County, California. There's about a mile of coast-line where dogs are allowed on the sand and to run without a leash. Hundreds of people and their dogs take advantage of this every day during the summer.
If you're in the area, Dog Beach is about a mile north of Huntington Beach Pier, just north of Golden West Ave.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Excellent pictures! Mavis definitely must have had a ball there!! Does she like to get in the water too?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She'll follow me or another dog into the water, and sometimes she'll go out on her own. In the second pic she's all wet. What she really likes about Dog Beach, besides all the other dogs, is all the interesting stuff that washes up out of the ocean. Mavis, the BeachComber.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dog behind Mavis is Katie. It's fitting that only half of her made it into the picture, she's half Dobie, half Boxer (I think).

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Where did you get their packs? I would love to get something like that for Chi, let her carry her own toys and training supplies when we go out on our marathon walks and trips to the beach! She's a beach comber too btw, but I discourage it all I can. She will try to eat the nastiest, yuckiest, deadest stuff she finds! YUCK!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TracyJo,
I got Mavis' pack at R.E.I. and Katie's pack came from Sport Chalet which I think is only in California. R.E.I.s are everywhere, they will let you take your dog in to try a pack on before you buy. I have to keep these packs hidden from the dogs, if Mavis sees one, she will follow me around while dragging the pack. She loves to wear her pack because she knows there's food inside.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Great pics! I love the packs, I've been half shopping for a pack for Lex too... it would come in handy with carrying a water and treat suppy also on our long hikes. Just something small though, maybe something larger like Mavis has on for a camping or longer hike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
REI has a website rei.com that you can find the dog packs and alot more, so anyone can order them online. I like to take my dogs up to san simeon, they're really dog friendly and have dog friendly hotels. Lake Tahoe is fun too but they don't let dogs on the public beach, you have to go to the other side of the bouy on the private beach.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have an R.E.I. anywhere in your area it's worth a visit, they are very dog friendly and their dog products are of the highest quality. Last summer I took Mavis to the Santa Ana R.E.I. to get a dog-floatation device, and the guy working there had dog treats in his pocket, he became Mavis' best friend real quick.

When we go for day-hikes, I usually take 3 dogs, Dobie Mavis, Dobie/Boxer mix Katie, and Black Lab Toby. It would be alot of work for me to carry water and food for all 3 so they carry their own. Normal load for each dog is about a gallon of water, carried in 2 two-liter plastic soda bottles, one on each side of the pack. Six pouches each of "Purina Moist and Meaty" dog food, two folding nylon dog dishes(1 for food, 1 for water), dog treats, a cheap nylon-rubber doggie rain coat, and a set of 4 dog shoes. R.E.I. sells the best dog shoes, we use the ones made by Ruff-Wear. They also carry their own leashes, we always try to go places where we can get away with going leash-less.
If you get packs, start light with their loads; maybe only a quart of water on each side of the pack. Balancing the load evenly on each side is important, but it's also easy, especially if you're carrying water. Always carry dog-treats in the pack, and make sure your dog knows where the treats are. One or two trips packing is all it takes for your dog to be crazy about the idea.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Great pictures! I'm jealous--I dont get to go half as many places as Mavis does!!! My dogs like water, but we dont have a dog beach here, so I try to take them to a nearby (30 miles away) reservoir/lake w/ a beach early in the spring before people start showing up. They like to chase the seagulls!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Great picture and such an adventurous Dobe :) She's a cutie (as is Katie from what I can see lol).

I can not wait to bring Bruno out and do all this fun stuff in the spring/summer. Winter really sucks in Canada lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts