Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to doberman talk. I just got my puppy maverick's ears cropped on 3/5/12. the base of his ears looks a bit weird and I'm not sure how it's supposed to look at this point. It's only been 3 days since it was done. I just wanted to receive some opinions so I uploaded some pictures of them. Thanks.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Our Callie was cropped on 02/21, and looks much different than your boy. We haven't even begun the posting process. Our vet, a well known doberman breeder, crops the ears then glues them together over top of the head. On the third day, you take them down. They are left alone to heal, and stitches are taken out one week post-op (the top 1/3) then two weeks post off (the other 2/3). Third week is posting.

I've also never seen staples used, and it looks like there is tape over the healing edges of the crop? What vet did you take him to? Was it a cropper recommended by DT?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it wasn't. The staples were used because the stitches started to come out because he was being too rowdy. The vet let the ears stay down for a day and then taped them up when we came to get him.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just for photo reference for you, this is what Callie's ear looked like for the first 3 days..

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
I'm wondering why it looks like there are stiches on the front of the ear? The front (top) part of the ear isn't cut, so why would he have stiches there? And yeah, the staples are definitely something I've never seen on an ear crop before. It seems odd to me.

Reactions: longshot4me

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would do some serious thread searching here and find a good crop vet near you to take a look at his ears. His ears look like a mess. Cropping is truly an art form, and not every vet can do it, let alone- its not something they teach in veterinary school.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I found this in an old thread for you-

Virtually all doberman people in the know, cross the line to BC and get their dogs done at the Newton Animal Hospital by Dr. Douglas. That is by far your best bet. They are reasonably priced- last time I checked under $300 but that was a few years back.
I don't know how far that is from you, but that sounds like a good place to start. They could take a look at them for you and see about getting him off on a good start. There is always the option (if you're worried about it) of getting them re-cropped. It looks like a ton of bell was left on.. which will make him look like mickey-mouse, or a bat.

For the present though, I'd be MOST concerned with making sure that puppy is comfortable and those ears are healing properly and are well cared for. Keep them clean. I'm genuinely worried about ears trying to heal underneath tape.. I can't see how that is a good environment for them.

ETA: googled your area- I'd for sure make the drive up there, its only 40min away. A good vet is worth the drive. 7010 King George Blvd Surrey, (BC) V3W 4Z9 Phone Number: 604-596-7417

·
Registered
939 Posts
Jessica Wilcock is a vet in Kirkland, WA who breeds Dobermans (Talent Dobermans). She is also a member of DT, user name talentdobe. You can PM her or call her at the Evergreen Veterinary Hospital, 425-821-9040.
This was one of the only other ones I found, but its from 2010. I'd give them a call and see if they still do crops. Its really important to get a vet thats knowledgeable about crops to take care of this. This is also why most, if not all, reputable breeders take care of the crop for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, he was part of a litter that was rescued. I am going to call the vet that did his ears tomorrow and see what we can do. I'll explain that I was told that his ears should heal before posting. I'm really in the dark here. I'm upset because I don't want his ears to turn out badly.

·
Registered
905 Posts
This is how Kahlua came home, she had staples in her ears as well as stitches. The Vet was recommended here on DT.

ETA... we didn't start posting until a week or two later when the ears were all healed and the stitches/staples were removed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, that makes me feel a bit better. But I'm still very worried. I'm gonna call my vet tomorrow and tell him I would like to unpost and untape his ears until he's healed up a little bit.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
looks fine, thats how Odins ears were when I got him home.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wow... posted the day after surgery??? That seems excessive to me. Usually the ears are either glued/taped to foam or a plastic cup or glued to the top of the head and even left hanging until the edges are healed. I would not want tape over fresh stitches if that was my pup. I'd get them to a knowledgeable cropping vet asap to have that looked at. That cannot be comfortable for your pup.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Elka's ears were posted after surgery. I'm not saying it's "right"; I'm saying I didn't know. And it was a vet who cropped for years, to my knowledge (the breeder's cropper). For our next go-round, I'll be expecting a cone, which seems to make a whole lot more sense. I have no idea how we avoided complications or infection.

·
Registered
72 Posts
im sure some more experienced people will chime in soon. but dont post till the edges are all healed i posted kane before a small portion had healed and it is now a small scar. not super noticable but its there. i too was not experienced when i got kanes done. but dont worry waiting to post will be fine they will stand just fine if you wait till they are healed. also the bottom looks fine to me kanes is close to that look.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hey OP, just checking in. Did you get ahold of that vet? Hows your pup?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did get ahold of the vet today. I asked them about the ears healing underneath the tape and they did tell me that they've done that with all of their Doberman ear crops and they have all turned out fine. They gave Maverick an antibiotic shot the day after the crop that lasts for two weeks so as far as infection goes, it's very unlikely. They told me what to look for just in case though. I feel a lot better about the whole situation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts