Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jinka is my first Dobe. She is a great, wonderul girl age 2years and 3 months. Very well socialized to the community and has been pleasant with people. We have her out and about very often. Over the last few weeks with her age and maturity, she is getting more protective and watchful in our home. When someone comes up, she is no longer eager for them to come see her as when she was still "puppylike". She growls and barks with her hair up; it is scary to people who do not know her. I have always said, "That's enough, thank you," but that is not calming her from the behavior. This is the one place we have failed in our socializing with her because we rarely have a guest to our home, and as an adult, she does not know how to handle strangers coming in on her territory. And since this is a new stage for both of us, I am not sure what technique to use to train her so she knows it is good to do her protection job, but to stop and back off when I say. How did you train in this stage?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My girl likes most people, but there has been a 2 year period, she took a dislike to one guy...delivering the weekly junk mail...besides a few others.
Amy would let him up on the front porch steps, but not come down / I give a sharp ENOUGH, then I call dobe to my side, and tell her she is a good girl, in a low voice.
And this girl simply loves our regular mail man, but he also fusses with her.

Keep it Simple, with Jinka:
- one command word to stop barking...ENOUGH, and say it loud, like you mean it
(a 4 word sentence, is not helping here)
- followed by the COME command
- then stroke the dog, for being good...and tell her so...much praise, for obeying you
If you see someone coming, ahead of time:
- keep dog by your side, and talk & touch...to keep it calm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Beaumont67 for your reply. I need to learn how to keep her by my side without allowing her to run ahead of me to the door taking charge when anyone approaches, and that is what we are going through.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Thanks, Beaumont67 for your reply. I need to learn how to keep her by my side without allowing her to run ahead of me to the door taking charge when anyone approaches, and that is what we are going through.
^^^^ I have a very solid RECALL & ENOUGH command, with my AMY.
So for her, I don't care if she runs ahead, of me...because, I can stop it from getting out of control...ASAP .
- and she is always off leash, in the yard...that is only fenced at the back, of our property.
The one guy she didn't like, she had a different vibe off him, so I was very slow to ask him to pet her...I trust her balanced instincts and don't want to lessen them.

The regular mailmain, she barks her a*s off at him, when he walks down the otherside of our street and doubles back to our place...but she really likes him, and it a bark that says, "you will pet me"...lol.
- the part time mailpeople, all get asked to pet Amy, and she has become a favorite dog, they laugh about her at the depo.
- she backed up a meter reader man once, at the next door neighbors, but she was protecting the 2 young kids, she grew up with
When someone knocks on the front door, she was encouraged to bark, as a puppy.
If its UPS truck driver now, I open the door to sign for the parcell and let our girl, sneak out on the front porch...I say she is OK...but the look on their eyes is priceless...until they know her...she is calm (beside the stranger), as I am in control and projecting confidence.

I have always encouraged her natural guarding skills, and once she protected my wife from a robber, casing our property and home...it was someone the dobe and I knew real good...he just got mixed up in $$ drugs. - but that one time, she went absolute "ape-sh*t-nuts" on him...a week later he was picked up for 25 B&E's by our city police.

Amy can run up to people in the yard or a car driving in the drive way, but like I said...she listens to me flawlessly off-leash.
- it is the dobes calmness beside you, you have to work on
- plus solid recall & an on/off switch for the barking...when your taking over the situation...and therefore in control, dogs respect this leadership...when they see it
So learn to take the pack leader roll !!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Keep it Simple, with Jinka:
- one command word to stop barking...ENOUGH, and say it loud, like you mean it
(a 4 word sentence, is not helping here)
- followed by the COME command
- then stroke the dog, for being good...and tell her so...much praise, for obeying you
If you see someone coming, ahead of time:
- keep dog by your side, and talk & touch...to keep it calm
I know you've shared this technique in older threads before and I am in the process of trying to implement it. Still haven't mastered it yet, but getting there. :nicejob:

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I might ask a trainer to help in this instance because it is scary and slightly dangerous. Very fixable though :)

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
Second the suggestion to work with a trainer. She might be nervous about it (since you mention she hasn't had a lot of this type of experience) and her fear is coming out as overprotectiveness/aggression. I use this as my starting point to find trainers: Search for Professionals

Reactions: nora04

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I agree a trainer would be an awesome choice to see the behavior and be able to advise.

What I have done with Kyrah since she is and has been the most reactive at people entering her home. I first started with her being in her crate, letting the people come in and move around a bit. Then take Kyrah out on leash put her in a sit by my side, would ask the person to totally ignore her...no eye contact, talking or touching...then would ask Kyrah to greet...meaning she could sniff them. Then she would go off about her business. I was also teaching my dogs individually to "spot" which meant to go lay on a dog pillow in the living room. I then started knocking on the door and getting them to hold their spot. Then I started opening the door and making different voices and moved on to getting family members to not walk in and knock on the door like they were someone else and change their voice. Finally worked with friends and eventually strangers. I would say it took approx 3 months to get all 3 to hold their spot. It could take a shorter period with one IMO b/c with 3 if one breaks they all want to break. After the person has entered I release the dogs one at a time to greet. Kyrah is never released to greet until she is relaxed. Kyrah has improved tremendously.

I have also taught Kyrah place which is to sit by my left side, down, sit & back which means take a step back. If we are outside or anywhere in fact and she is alerted to something and I want her to pay attention to me...I say one of the which will get her attention...or I will say come. All these commands are said in a certain tone that means I meant it!

IMO which ever method you choose it needs to be consistent and you need to practice it often...even after the initial learning if you dont practice the dog will loose some of the automatic behavior that goes along with it.

ETA: I also would not rush anything and take your time. If you push the dog over their threashold you could set back training more than progressing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for your encouraging and teaching replies. I think we are getting to a stage where it is time for more professional training. Jinka is a great girl who is coming out of puppy stage, and I want her to progress in a very positive, appropriate manner. She is the only Dobe around here, and so far, everywhere we go, people love her and think she is wonderful. Jinka is an inside dog with me every minute I am home; never outside alone. We spend lots of time together, so there is no reason I cannot train her well. I just need to get back into it. Thanks again for your replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts