Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New member here looking for a solid breeder to get my doberman from. I live in Ohio and currently thinking about masaya dobermans. I have searched them on this forum and have only heard good things. And their website conveys that they take pride in there dogs. Any other breeders in ohio that anyone has experience with? Also I have not owned a doberman in the past. Plan to have as personal protection/family dog - will be involved heavily with the family- I have no kids. Since I am going more of a family pet is there anything that would be difficult getting a pup from masaya?

Thanksd so much

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I like Masaya's dogs. I would call them to talk more about what you are looking for.

Ohio has its share of less than stellar breeders. Check out the link in my signature line for a good breeder checklist.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have heard nothing but good about Masaya. Every time I have asked about good working Dobe breeders they have been recommended to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was asking what is the best thing to do. Chain outside on a wire so he can roam around. Or would inside be better. Please re-read the other thread.
I asked:
"Would a caged fenced enclosure be better for any reason?"

Chaining is simply what I was planning on doing. And after discussing this have come to the conclusion that this is a bad idea and will be keeping the dog inside.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You don't have to make sarcastic comments at a newbie who simply asked a question. Seriously... how impolite.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I suppose we see through different goggles :) I didn't read anyone being rude on this thread. It was simply stated that the breeder would most likely not want one of their dogs outside (alone) for 8 hours.

I saw it. He didn't say he was leaving the dog outside for 8 hours, he just asked if it was a good idea. There's no reason to be rude about it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hello all. New member here looking for a solid breeder to get my doberman from. I live in Ohio and currently thinking about masaya dobermans. I have searched them on this forum and have only heard good things. And their website conveys that they take pride in there dogs. Any other breeders in ohio that anyone has experience with? Also I have not owned a doberman in the past. Plan to have as personal protection/family dog - will be involved heavily with the family- I have no kids. Since I am going more of a family pet is there anything that would be difficult getting a pup from masaya?

Thanksd so much
I think a puppy from masaya will probably end up being way too much dog for a newbie to handle.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I missed the response to this but happened to see it today so I'll give this a whirl. I am sorry if you felt I was being rude. I was not being rude just blunt. However, I'll give you my actual opinion now.

A doberman from a working breeder is going to be ALOT to handle especially for a first time doberman owner. Crating a working dog 40+ and lets be realistic if you work 8 hours a day its going to be at a minimum of 45 hours a week... that will just not be healthy mentally for a working dog in my opinion. Unless you have the time to dedicate 3-4 hours for play/exercise/obedience work every day (and be realistic about this) a working dog might be too much for you.

I have a real problem with anyone that would even consider chaining a dog whether it's on a run or not. I have seen HORRIBLE things that have happened to chained dogs because there was no one to monitor them. I am sorry that I let that get in the way of constructive advice.

There is, however, some hope. I, personally, am moving soon and going back to work full time for 6 months which would put my 9 month old dobe in the exact situation of being left alone all day. Here are some solutions: have a neighbor or family member take the dog out halfway through the day for a nice romp and potty break. Another alternative is a dog walker (this is the one I'm going with as my family are not dog people). It's tough and it will not be cheap but I have to do what's best for my dog and dobermans are not a breed that, as a general rule, do well when left alone so much.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you but I have extremely strong feelings on the subject.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Masaya produces great dogs.. working dogs. Sure there are pet quality with less drive but i think you will find for a first time dobie owner it will be way too much dog and not what you were expecting. I would plan a visit with some working dogs if you can and really see how much drive and energy they actually have first. The commitment it takes to own and properly care for a dog like that is probably 3 or 4 times what you would be used to. If left alone for long periods of time or bored, they will tear you place up. Not meant to be outside dogs either... not that you thought that. But good luck. We have a puppy from Masaya at our schutzhund club with tooonnnnnssss of energy!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I read your other thread, and I see nothing wrong with leaving a dog alone for 8 hours as long as you exercise/train/spend enough time with it when not at work and don't just come home and be lazy/forget about the dog. Assuming the dog is trained...

But realistically, that is not going to work with a puppy. Not only because a puppy can NOT hold it for 8 hours, but expect to come home to a destroyed basement. Unless you use an x-pen, but you still need to train the pup to not knock over/climb out of the x-pen.

I don't see how you could house train a puppy when you are not there to let it out every 30 minutes either. You will be just teaching it to soil in the house.

I took 2 weeks off of work when we got Bronson at 8 weeks. Not only for the socialization/bonding/training but I also expected not to sleep for the first week of crate training.

IMO longer than that is just not fair to the pup. An adult dog is different.
And you are talking about a WORKING high energy pup. Bronson is very calm/chill. I would not expect a working dog to be that way. I wanted a working line Dobe or GSD and I specifically didn't get one because I knew I didn't have the time for one.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I freak out if Gemma is alone for over 4 hours....They are very needy dogs...or is it just mine knows how to play me?? :)
Same.
I have a working bred dog. First Dobermann. First big dog. I'm home all the time, exercise for at least two or three hours a day. She still has energy. We have two15 minute training sessions daily. Juno is going on 8 months old, and I still hate leaving her for 8-10 hour shifts, which happens to be once a week. I dont think a little puppy could handle that.

Maybe look into a rescue?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think looking into rescue is a fantastic option! An older dog could cope much better with being left alone for the lengths of time you're talking about.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I freak out if Gemma is alone for over 4 hours....They are very needy dogs...or is it just mine knows how to play me?? :)
A couple weeks back at my doctors urging and my dismay I had to go to the ER for about 5 hours. My dog hasn't been in his crate that long since I can't remember. I know he goes to sleep and it's not a big deal, but I much prefer having him by me (and vice versa).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts