Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got Diesel his first martingale until his new harness comes ( the old one was making me so nervous I kept thinking he was going to pull out again) anyway my question is a martingale collar can't hurt a puppies neck can it? I've never had a dog that's had a long neck like dobies so I am very nervous putting things on it for walking. Maybe I'm just being a crazy protective mom :)

Sorry if this was a silly question.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No, as long as with any collar, you're not yanking on it or anything that could cause injury. I use martingales on all of my dogs and have since they were puppies. It's the safest collar to ensure your dog won't be able to back out and get loose. The only time I didn't use them with my Dobes as puppies was when their ears were taped, because the collars were too hard to get over their heads then. And since they were harder to get on, I really didn't worry about a buckle collar slipping off, since the ears got in the way of that too. :)

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, as long as with any collar, you're not yanking on it or anything that could cause injury. I use martingales on all of my dogs and have since they were puppies. It's the safest collar to ensure your dog won't be able to back out and get loose. The only time I didn't use them with my Dobes as puppies was when their ears were taped, because the collars were too hard to get over their heads then. And since they were harder to get on, I really didn't worry about a buckle collar slipping off, since the ears got in the way of that too. :)
Where should the collar fall on the neck? I feel bad when he pulls he's like choking himself I feel like. Although he did much better on his walk then when he has a harness on he pulls like crazy. I never pulled him with it but he did get himself a few times where it got tight but I guess that's the point. I just feel bad for his little baby neck haha I will say its a pain in the ass getting it over his ears we have to make it really big and then fit it to his neck. They didn't have any of the ones with buckles.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My guys' collars sit pretty low on their necks, but not too loosely. Just so it's comfortable. As long as I can slide the collar up their neck, pull the chain/loop and have it tighten enough that it won't slip over the head, we're good to go. It shouldn't tighten to the point that it's squeezing them, but it shouldn't be loose enough that it'll be no better than a buckle collar either. I'm at work and don't have a picture to show you, otherwise I would. It's kind of hard just to explain.

Harnesses definitely do inhibit pulling, so it's not surprising he was a bit better with a collar. If he's pulling that much, he would choke himself regardless of what collar he's wearing.

I'm assuming you're working on loose leash walking already? Little puppy sponge brains pick up on things like that pretty easily, but it can definitely be slow going. Clicking/marker training was my best friend for teaching my guys not to pull, but it works best in short increments which you then build on. It worked better than any other method we'd ever been taught to use prior.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
They make side buckle martingale collars like pictured here: Spindrift Buckle on Martingale Collar - Buckle-On Martingale Collars

Before I even tried to walk, I would take him to a field and let him burn off some energy. Put him on a long line and let him go. You can also practice recall. Walks never did it for Sam. He needed to burn off some puppy energy first then we went on a nice walk. This curbed his need to pull.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guys' collars sit pretty low on their necks, but not too loosely. Just so it's comfortable. As long as I can slide the collar up their neck, pull the chain/loop and have it tighten enough that it won't slip over the head, we're good to go. It shouldn't tighten to the point that it's squeezing them, but it shouldn't be loose enough that it'll be no better than a buckle collar either. I'm at work and don't have a picture to show you, otherwise I would. It's kind of hard just to explain.

Harnesses definitely do inhibit pulling, so it's not surprising he was a bit better with a collar. If he's pulling that much, he would choke himself regardless of what collar he's wearing.

I'm assuming you're working on loose leash walking already? Little puppy sponge brains pick up on things like that pretty easily, but it can definitely be slow going. Clicking/marker training was my best friend for teaching my guys not to pull, but it works best in short increments which you then build on. It worked better than any other method we'd ever been taught to use prior.
Ok that makes me feel better. His is at the same place. He is a big puller and we are working on loose leash walking but he's so distracted outside that he wants to get to everything as fast as possible. I do clicker training as well and he did pretty good tonight. He was catching on to that if he didn't pull the collar wouldn't get tighter. I made a big deal about that so he knew that's what I wanted. He's getting so strong and with the harness he can easily pull me but the martingale it wasn't as bad. Thanks for your help I feel better now.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They make side buckle martingale collars like pictured here: Spindrift Buckle on Martingale Collar - Buckle-On Martingale Collars

Before I even tried to walk, I would take him to a field and let him burn off some energy. Put him on a long line and let him go. You can also practice recall. Walks never did it for Sam. He needed to burn off some puppy energy first then we went on a nice walk. This curbed his need to pull.
That's actually a great idea. I never thought to tire him out before the walk. I have a buckle martingale that I ordered for him but it's too big (it was the last one they were making of the fabric) but the buckle is going to be great. When I went to Petco today they didn't have any buckle ones but I needed something quick so I could ditch his current harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts