Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I completely agree. I was an idiot to send my puppy there. Zeus is my first adult dog and my first puppy. We took care of an adult doberman when I was a teenager for 3 years and he was the most awesome dog, that's why I decided on the breed. For the first 2 months after I got Zeus I was completely overwhelmed. I have 3 boys in high level competitive sports and husband who works every waking hour (so we never see him). I gave my all to that dog, but it was exhausting. I told my husband a dog would make me happy, then he would come home to find me crying on the floor and say "you don't look so happy". It was during those first 2 months that I started to look for help. I saw Marc Goldberg's "force free" website and noticed he just wrote a book with the monks of new skeet. I read the book and liked their training advice . I had already read The Art of Raising a Puppy. I spoke with Marc and thought he was nice. I paid for 1/2 the services. But then Zeus turned 4 months and he was way easier, totally manageable. I was considering not sending him away, but I would have lost the $1800US. Many friends said, send him away, it will be good for you, he'll come back trained, you need the break. But a couple of friends advised me against it because they were dog people and they know it's risky...there's a lot crazies out there. I thought...his book is on the New York Times best selling lists for animal books and he's force free! I made a big mistake and I'm here to tell everyone that. Do not send your dog to Marc Goldberg

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My breeder 40 years ago, sent a prized male off for training...and instructor took dobe on busy main street, and heeled him off leash (right on sidewalk) / without dog leaving the side of mans knee...showing owner the dogs accomplishments.

Breeder lady tried it, and dog did nothing right & looked distracted / not even a commanding sit...she looked up at trainer, and said...
- "I just paid you, to have a dog that only listens to one instructor / never again, waist of money"

·
Registered
325 Posts
I completely agree. I was an idiot to send my puppy there. Zeus is my first adult dog and my first puppy. We took care of an adult doberman when I was a teenager for 3 years and he was the most awesome dog, that's why I decided on the breed. For the first 2 months after I got Zeus I was completely overwhelmed. I have 3 boys in high level competitive sports and husband who works every waking hour (so we never see him). I gave my all to that dog, but it was exhausting. I told my husband a dog would make me happy, then he would come home to find me crying on the floor and say "you don't look so happy". It was during those first 2 months that I started to look for help. I saw Marc Goldberg's "force free" website and noticed he just wrote a book with the monks of new skeet. I read the book and liked their training advice . I had already read The Art of Raising a Puppy. I spoke with Marc and thought he was nice. I paid for 1/2 the services. But then Zeus turned 4 months and he was way easier, totally manageable. I was considering not sending him away, but I would have lost the $1800US. Many friends said, send him away, it will be good for you, he'll come back trained, you need the break. But a couple of friends advised me against it because they were dog people and they know it's risky...there's a lot crazies out there. I thought...his book is on the New York Times best selling lists for animal books and he's force free! I made a big mistake and I'm here to tell everyone that. Do not send your dog to Marc Goldberg
Everyone makes mistakes, there is nothing you can do now but to move forward, start from scratch and undo everything this guy did to your dog. Positive reinforcement, make him learn to trust you and understand that all good things in life come from you. I don't know how old your boys are but I would refrain from leaving them unsupervised with your pup, you don't want them to inadvertently undo your progress.

Doberman puppies are little demons, they are a complete handful and can be harder to raise than human children. I completely understand that you are overwhelmed, I've raised my own dobermans in the past but it's been 7 years since my last puppy, I completely forgot how much work they were, she literally sucks the life out of me, take take take. BUT in the end it is all worth it! She will turn out to be an amazing dog, I just have to suck it up and put the work in now. If your pup becomes to much to handle or you are overwhelmed, calmly put him in the crate, he gets a time out and so do you. It doesn't mean he is being punished, freedom is earned and sometimes mommy needs a time out too. You can try giving him yummys in his crate, kongs (frozen bananas, PB, unsweetened applesauce, work great) AND if he's throwing a fit and you can't ignore it and he's driving you nuts....grab a beer, put some headphoneson, listen to ganster rap (or whatever you like) and do something else....yard work, cleaning, a hot bath, etc. you won't be able to hear him and you'll get your emotions under control and when he's calm and you're relaxed you can bring him out and play with him or do some training.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
The Monks of New Skete have been doing it for 40+ years.
You've bumped up two extremely old threads just to endorse the Monks of New Skete training. Perhaps introduce yourself in a new thread?

Thread closed.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.