Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes they have as of today our clinic had to call and cancel any crop appointments we had booked, I wonder how this will effect the CKC standard if more provinces follow

·
Too Dang Cute!
381 Posts
I don't think they would have to remove it. Possibly just add an amendment that says no dogs born after this day may have cropped ears if born in Canada (or another country where cropping is illegal).

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
It is a shame. I am pro-choice about most things. Pro-choice doesn't necessarily mean pro-whatever issue is on the table, it just means that I believe in people having a choice on personal matters. It's a shame that people have to force their personal views onto others to the point of bullying and making things illegal.

·
Got mutt?
13,822 Posts
Like I've stated in other posts, I think it is an antiquated and unnecessary practice, BUT it should NOT be banned. Discouraged vigorously, yes, banned outright, no. If you just have to have a docked/cropped dog, you should be able to legally do it. Just because something is banned doesn't mean people won't still be doing it themselves behind closed doors. I've seen dogs with a "home-done" crop, and it's usually a mess.

Reactions: Dictator

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I'm not really big on the idea but I wont hate on other people who do it.

I like the look of it to be honest, but that's really all there is to it. If it were beneficial to the dog then I would have my pups ears and tail done without question.

With that being said, I do get a lot of compliments that I've left Lexi natural.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I hadn't heard that yet. What a shame. :-(

It is a shame. I am pro-choice about most things. Pro-choice doesn't necessarily mean pro-whatever issue is on the table, it just means that I believe in people having a choice on personal matters. It's a shame that people have to force their personal views onto others to the point of bullying and making things illegal.
I completely agree. This is exactly how I feel as well.

Reactions: ZeldaRules

·
Registered
82 Posts
What a shame, I'm still waiting for the day that people start fighting the animal welfare issues that actually matter, rather then small cosmetic surgeries like the crop/dock. Can you imagine if all the people that fought to get this banned put their efforts towards something like banning irresponsible breeders or puppy mills the difference they could make.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
What a shame, I'm still waiting for the day that people start fighting the animal welfare issues that actually matter, rather then small cosmetic surgeries like the crop/dock. Can you imagine if all the people that fought to get this banned put their efforts towards something like banning irresponsible breeders or puppy mills the difference they could make.
This is one of the most common-sense ideas I have heard.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this the first province of Canada to outlaw cropping? I heard Nova Scotia frowns upon the procedure, but I don't think they went as far as outlawing it.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Ear cropping and docking is a very immotive issue and whilst I personally do not agree with it I accept a whole lot of people do.

In truth whilst I am not sad Manitoba has taken this decision I would happily say let it continue if the government of both Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom and indeed the rest of the world passed laws which would mean anyone found to be involved in dog fights were to be punished by being hung drawn and quartered.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Great post! I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My understanding is that it isn't a provincial law, though it may have much the same effect. It's a bylaw passed by the Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association, and fines for violating the rule can be stiff (though I don't know who enforces the bylaw). So far, only cropping is banned, not docking.

Our previous Dobe was uncropped, but after much discussion, we decided to have Jack's ears cropped. Though I was not completely on board with respect to this decision, after seeing Jack's response (Hey, what's all the fuss about? This is a breeze!) and going through the posting, I came to see that he was not at all bothered by it. In fact, he would fall asleep while we taped his ears (we were inexperienced, so it usually took a while), and I think the posting process helped get him used to being calm and settled while being handled. I love the look of Dobermans period, cropped or uncropped, and I think the choice should be the owner's.

·
Too Dang Cute!
381 Posts
My understanding is that it isn't a provincial law, though it may have much the same effect. It's a bylaw passed by the Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association, and fines for violating the rule can be stiff (though I don't know who enforces the bylaw). So far, only cropping is banned, not docking.

Our previous Dobe was uncropped, but after much discussion, we decided to have Jack's ears cropped. Though I was not completely on board with respect to this decision, after seeing Jack's response (Hey, what's all the fuss about? This is a breeze!) and going through the posting, I came to see that he was not at all bothered by it. In fact, he would fall asleep while we taped his ears (we were inexperienced, so it usually took a while), and I think the posting process helped get him used to being calm and settled while being handled. I love the look of Dobermans period, cropped or uncropped, and I think the choice should be the owner's.
True, I just went back and reread the notice that came through my Rott list. This is a decision handed down by the MVMA not the Manitoba Legislature. So while it is not illegal to perform it is now a violation of the MVMA bylaws. And of course, to practice in MB you must be a member

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Don't really get it. Is it because it's cruel ? Surely circumcision is not so pleasant either.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Only the breed clubs can change the standard Not the CKC.. the Ckc has said they will stand behind the breed clubs . So they may ban it by vets here but breeders will then cross the border to do it or some may stop breeding all together? I for one will be crossing into US to do it if it comes to that for ontario, its only banned by the vet Association It NOT the law. So dogs will continue to be shown c/d. I know the DPCC will not change the standard to allow tails from what i've been told.. If there ever was a vote on it by the DPCC I would be voting against changing the standard.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts