Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short:
Relocating. Need new Vet. Shopping around.
Found a vet that has written an article on Von Willebrand, and while my 2 test negative, I find it encouraging that this Dr may have some Doberknowledge. Reviewing said Vet website, find "Capstar is a pill that is given to every pet...."
I don't need other flea meds, I don't know how I feel about madatory meds.

Any input?

BTW, I do plan on interviewing each Vet that is being considered. I will do more research than just checking online...

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
I start my search with AAHA certified veterinary clinics.

My vet uses Capstar when indicated, though not without asking me. It is a non-residual, quick acting flea killer. The tech I like best says it is really amazing; that the fleas look like they are literally falling off the pet instantly once it's given.

Without knowing, I'd guess if a vet is requiring it for all animals entering, they're working hard to make sure no animals acquire a flea infestation while in their facility.

Still, I'd sure not be interested in dosing my dogs with it every single time we visited. So I'd be having a discussion to that effect, presuming I was confident I was not bringing a flea infested animal into their facility. I'd expect my vet to be satisfied if I'm using a recognized flea treatment regularly, like Frontline Plus or Comfortis.

I like the Comfortis (spinosad), but Diva doesn't tolerate it well, so I'm using Frontline Plus, which I can't say much impresses me as it takes too long to kill, IMO. Still, as long as cats roam the 'hood, I have to use something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts