Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've found the litter my next Dobie is coming from. I think I've just about got the breeder convinced that I can give one of her pups a good home.

I have three dogs right now, a half-Dobie female, and two Labs. One of the Labs is a male. He's 3 1/2 years old, and he acts like a big puppy. He's the one at the Dog Park who spends most of his time laying on his back letting the other dogs chew on his throat (playfuly of course).

My first choice for a Dobie pup would be a female. If I were to fall in love with one of the male pups, should I be concerned about how two boys would get along? Does anyone here have experience with two males in the house? Would two males guarantee trouble?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chaz,
I'm not an expert on this, I've never had 2 males at a time. But I think the majority of responses to this question will warn against having two males. Doberman's notoriously suffer from male/male aggression. However, it makes sense that a male Dobe would have a better chance of getting along with a male Lab (more laid back type of dog) than a male from a dominant breed like another Dobe.
Of course there are exceptions to every rule and some have lived with multiple male Dobes with little or no problem.
I think your breeder should be able to help you with insight into this question though only because she will be better able to predict the overall temperment of the pup when he's mature.
I'm excited for you though! Are the pups born yet? If not, when are they due? Any pictures of sire and dam that you care to share??? You know we're crazy about pics here :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pups are born. They're almost 3 weeks old. The breeder seems to be very interested as to where the pups are going. I'm happy she cares enough about her pups to be wanting to check me out.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It is strongly suggested not to keep a male Doberman with another male of any breed. It isn't worth the risk of it not working out. Things can go great for 2 or so years until the pup reaches maturity and then things can change for the worse.
If the breeder is aware you have another male at home I am surprised they are even entertaining the idea of selling you a male.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Yeah not having had 2 male dobes together, just going on what other people have told me it could start off ok, then the maturity thing kicks in and you could have trouble. Whatever you decide i hope all goes well and you have a healthy happy doberpup to add to the Chaz pack.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Um.. I have 3 males! They all get along fine with some grumpyness due to having a puppy chewing on them.. But i havnt had a fight yet! Personally i prefer male dogs to female. i dunno why.. Reno, Pit/boxer is 7 1/2, Java, cocker is 2, and the new addition Jack, Dobi is 11 weeks today. Reno and Java are both fixed. So that might have something to due with it.. but i doubt it cause they are Exactly the same as before they were fixed.. except the marking of territory. Well.. They still do that, but only outside on the fence and trees.. I dunno if this is any help or not to you.. but having more then one male can be done.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My friend has a GSD who is about 2 1/2 years and a Rottweiler who is about 1 1/2. They are both males and get along well, but then I do agree with some of the posts regarding age as being the factor. Once they mature fully they might get into arguments and fight.

Just wondering: Would it be the same for having more than one female?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
DobiLove said:
Um.. I have 3 males! They all get along fine with some grumpyness due to having a puppy chewing on them.. But i havnt had a fight yet! Personally i prefer male dogs to female. i dunno why.. Reno, Pit/boxer is 7 1/2, Java, cocker is 2, and the new addition Jack, Dobi is 11 weeks today. Reno and Java are both fixed. So that might have something to due with it.. but i doubt it cause they are Exactly the same as before they were fixed.. except the marking of territory. Well.. They still do that, but only outside on the fence and trees.. I dunno if this is any help or not to you.. but having more then one male can be done.
Uh..your doberman is 11 weeks old..MUCH too soon to be able to say your situation is going to work!

While there are male/male situations involving dobermans that work for the ENTIRE lifetime of the dogs, they're not the norm. Too many variables have to be exactly right-the leadership ability of the owner, the right combination of temperament among the dogs being two big ones.

It's just not a good idea..because once the fights start, they're usually never resolved..life becomes an ongoing effort of one dog trying to kill the other. Neutering makes little to no difference, IMO. There usually are only a couple of ways to deal with the situation-either keep the dogs separate at all times, or place one in another home.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Male to male aggression is typical in the Doberman breed. It is not recommended that multiple males be kept together. Actually, that is quite normal with some working breeds.

My friend had a male Rottie (altered), 3 years old. They decided to add a Bull Mastiff to their family. Everything was fine while the Bully boy was a puppy, things started to get ugly when the Bully hit adolescence. The Mastiff was trying to take over the alpha position, while the laid back Rott wouldn’t start the fights, he would finish them. They had the Mastiff neutered, but even that didn’t solve their problem. The situation wasn’t ideal for either dog, the Rottie was always having to defend himself and stay on alert and the Mastiff was not content to be second in command; it was a very stressful situation for everyone involved.

I have seen many experiences of male aggression when the males live together. Dogs don’t have equal rights; they have ranking system of alpha (the top dog) and those under alpha. Sometimes people get lucky and one submissive male might accept the lower position (not typical of Dobe males) but the stories of male aggression is common in Dobermans and sometimes they have very sad endings with one dog getting hurt very badly. Stories of puppies getting along are fine and somewhat expected; it is when the dogs reach adolescence that the problems arise. Here is a link for a similar situation: http://www.kinetic-unity.com/males.html.

Some people might say, my male dog plays great with other male dogs; he doesn’t mind them at all. That is what happened in the above situation too, the Mastiff would play wonderfully with visiting males or other male dogs in other places.
There is a HUGE difference in playing with other dogs verses living with them and having to share resources on a daily basis.
Resources are anything the dog likes, toys, food, a sleeping spot on the couch or bed, attention from a person, bones, etc. A lower dog wanting to take over the alpha position will try to challenge people or dogs for these items creating much conflict. Don’t think that just because your male gets along with other males that he will tolerate another male living with him on a daily basis. Pack dynamics are different with every dog and vary with each situation.

Doberman rescues usually don’t allow multiple male dogs to live together...too much of a risk in most cases.
I know several Doberman breeders keep their male Dobermans separated after they reach about 6-12 months of age because the possibility they might get into fights is high, this is also illustrated in the link given above. I strongly suggest if you want to add another dog stick with a bitch. Why risk the chance of two males not getting along, when the possibility is high that they will not.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
dobesanddragons, I read that story with tears in my eyes, that had to be a hard decision but seems to be the only one that they could have made to make life fair for both males. I am glad someone has stepped forward and shared their experience so that others can be warned ahead of time that it is a possibility. A possibility should be enough for someone to not put two males together.

Chaz, I bought two males boxers a long time ago, not realizing that it was a no no. I bought the first one for my teen daughter for Christmas and about four weeks later bought one for myself. They were a month apart in age. When my vet saw both pups she told me they WOULD fight that I would not be able to keep both males together and I like this person in the story chuckled because they were so close. They ate from the same bowl, they played together and they slept together. They seemed to bond so well and loved each other and everything was just rosy. I told this to my vet who again warned me that it wasn't going to work. I didn't heed her warning UNTIL one day my little 7 year old daughter was in the middle of them and one found a bone and the other decided he wanted it. Not a pretty site, thank God my husband and I were both out there and grabbed my daughter out of the way then we separated the dogs and as heart breaking as it was I had to find a home for one of the boys.

The possibility is there, and the likelyhood of it even greater, why chance it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
There is a possability weather is females or males. You need to show them.. You are part of the pack.. YOU are alpha male/female. if you dont put your foot down and teach them who is who in the pack then yes you will have issues. This is just my opinion and what ive grown up with. Ive had only male dogs growing up, and never had just 1 male at a time. And yes i have read what ppl are saying about more then one male agression. Having more then One male in a household isnt for everyone. all sitiuations are differnt. For some it can be done and for other not. you just have to show who is who in YOUR pack. But yes if you have 2 or more males at an older age and they are agressive to each other. then you will have to do something about it even though it will break your heart and your familys its best for the dogs.
I know in the first post i should have thaught about the question that was at hand before i replied.
Im sorry if there were any misunderstanding with my replies.
Jamie.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ok, Im jumping in again. Here is a good link to read. just trying to help out :)

http://www.rottclub.ca/leadership.html

Here is also another good link.

http://www.greytalk.com/~forums/index.php?showtopic=375

http://www.phouka.com/dogs/dog_pack.html

and yet again another one. This should give you some ideas.

http://siriusdog.com/articles/kids-dogs-bites-safety-prey.htm

Like i said.. living with more then one male CAN be done.. but is not for everyone. These sites arent dobe related. but they do have to deal with pack leasdership.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Pack leadership doesn't solve all problems. It cannot always be done with simple leadership. If a male Doberman has an issue with another male, you are most likely not going to change the way he feels. Did you read the link I gave in the last reply? The owner tried fixing her males issues with training and leadership too. Constantly being under stress is not any way for a pack to function comfortably.

Working breeds don't always live in harmony with other males. The Mastiff and Rottie both had obedience titles and the owners were experienced dog people. They thought they could handle the situation with training and leadership. The people who show Dobermans ( Sch., conformation, agility, and other venues) are very experienced with handling the Doberman in a variety of situations for many years, and yet their dogs still had issues. Dobermans are not like every other breed. You can learn that even just having your first Doberman.

The experienced individuals may or may not read articles on the Internet, but they read books, they train at dog clubs, come in contact with people deeply involved in their specific breed, have years of experience under their belt with the Doberman breed, yet they still keep their males apart from a certain age.

I am sorry, but the experience of so many others cannot be discounted and written off solely as poor leadership or not enough leadership. Male Dobes living with other males is the exception to the rule and depends a great deal on temperament. Doberman males are not good candidates to live with other male dogs. It is not a good idea.

I am sure DaKari will agree, her vet even warned her of the risk with two male Boxers and her daughter experienced it. The risk is there and it is real. Not always CAN it be done.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
DobiLove said:
and your DOBERMAN is still a PUPPY.

how your doberman will feel about two other male dogs once he hits maturity is a REAL concern for most people - and something YOU should be aware of .

no responsible breeder i know would have sent you home with a male pup if you already had two male dogs.

are you prepared to separate your male doberman from the other dogs for the rest of his life if something happens?
do you know what its like to have to live like that?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'd NEVER reccomend putting males of any working breed together (sporting breeds & hounds can do well with other males, not always though), yes it works for some people but it's not a risk I'm willing to take. I know 2 Dobermans who lived together quite happily for a few years, one day they got into a fight over a treat and ever since that day they can't be in the same room together. It's always best IMO to keep a dominant female with a submissive female together (dominant & dominant do not often mix well) or a male & female together. I've always had a house full of girls and only kept one dominant one with all the others being pretty submissive.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My pit is a submissive dog. Im not worried about him when jack gets older. its my cocker that will probably cause the fights if they happen. but that is still a little bit away. And yes i am reading what you all are writeing and yes i know what to expect. im not totaly ignorant of the breed. if i was i wouldnt have gotten him. I had a dominant female rott a couple years ago, and i did have to find a new home for her due to her being to dominant for our family/ and other dogs. So yes.. i do know what will happen and of course if it doesnt work out. i would rather see him go to a better home then see him seperated from socializeing(sp?) with our family. Dont worry i will keep all updated.
Jamie.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everybody for the advice. One male dog at a time is going to be enough for me.

Until Mavis left she was the top dog in my pack. At 85 lbs she was the smallest of the four dogs, but because she was a Doberman, she took it upon herself to boss around the other three dogs. Toby, my big Labrador (115 lbs) was OK with a female being top dog, but he might not feel the same way about another male dog.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey guys i was actually thinking about getting a male dobe but i do have a 9 1/2 year old chihuahua who is a little stinker. Do you still think there might be a problem there. It is my mothers dog but for the time being i am helping her out so she is gonna be here and the dog is attached to her like glue..... Probably for good! :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Your breeder let you have a male doberman knowing that you had a male pit/boxer at home? :nonono:

There are instances where people have succesfully had two males in the house, but all signs point to no. Personally I would never chance it. If it all goes south...there will be another homeless male in a shelter or rescue looking for a home because someone was irresponsible in selecting the right pup for their family and that makes me sad.

I wish you the best.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts