Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of threads about which is easier to train or is more protective and stuff... but not just about general differences...

Mariano is going to be coming home in 10 weeks, and he is a male... I was told males are more laidback and less busy, and frankly, I do not even hang out with many female people lol, so... our first was always going to be a boy...

But, everyone I tell I am getting a male seems to think this is a problem for some reason?! They never really articulate why, just that they think male dogs are more difficult... :confused:

Any educated opinions or comments about this? (I mean from people who actually have dogs, let alone dobermans lol)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I think it can vary so much on different personalities and different lines. In the litter my boy was from all the males were very laid back and the females were very highly strung and active.

Maybe you should talk to your breeder about what you want and they can advice you on what would be best? I believe its common practise in America for reputable breeders to select a puppy from the litter for you, to ensure the right personality match, but I might be wrong there :)

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has said that the boys from this pairing 3 years ago seem to be laid back and goofy, where as the girls are busy and more moody lol...

There are 9 males in this huge litter, and she will be choosing the right one for us... but I am just curious if there is some type of noticable general differences...

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
From everything I've read online (not sure how true any of it is, mind you) my general thoughts are that males wind up being more protective of "turf", while females are more protective of their master, which could make them seem more moody under the right conditions if not socialized well, perhaps. I guess that would make males more vocal outside though. Males are goofy and more independent, don't cling quite as much (totally depends on the dog himself though). Females are clingy and will try over and over to get what they want from you.

Also keep in mind that males tend to be bigger than females, lift their leg if not fixed, be aggressive to other males sometimes, etc.. Females can have false pregnancy issues and more anxiety I think, plus you have to worry about all the males out there if she isn't fixed.

So, I just think both males and females come with their own set of potential issues, and it depends what sounds better for you as an individual, not necessarily what's "harder" to raise.

Again, I could be totally wrong on some stuff here, but this is what I've gathered through my research online prior to adopting.

·
Registered
726 Posts
From everything I've read online (not sure how true any of it is, mind you) my general thoughts are that males wind up being more protective of "turf", while females are more protective of their master, which could make them seem more moody under the right conditions if not socialized well, perhaps. I guess that would make males more vocal outside though. Males are goofy and more independent, don't cling quite as much (totally depends on the dog himself though). Females are clingy and will try over and over to get what they want from you.
I've experienced the opposite- males are more clingy/lovey, and females are more independent.

I think it all depends on what you end up with.

As others have said, a reputable breeder will match you up with the type of dog you are looking for.

And if you are getting a Doberman, finding one "laid back" and "not busy" is likely not in the cards...

·
Registered
78 Posts
In the context of home life, I've heard that males tend to bond to one individual, whereas females are more apt to bond to a family. This, as with most things, is a generalization. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

As others have said already, a solid course of action is to talk to your breeder about your wants/needs in terms of personality, and they should be able to match you up to the right pup for the job.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
The only difference that seems consistent is in general males seem to not do well with other males in this breed. But it's still an invidual thing overall.

What did she mean by moody with the girls? I may be reading too much into that but that sounds odd.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We've had both and found that our males were more "needy" than our female. Both loved to be around us but our males wanted to be where we were constantly while the female could be ok being in a different room. We are getting a new puppy in 2 weeks and when I spoke with the breeder, she said that males tend to be more velcro-like while the females can sometimes seem a little aloof. This may be something that is specific to her dogs but we found it to be true for our previous dogs as well.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I filled out a very detailed question sheet about what I was looking for in a dog, and she will be picking the puppy for us... this is not my first doberman, so i do not mean non energetic when I say laid back and not busy...

And I paraphrased with the moody thing... she was talking about how her females seem to be a bit more aloof.

I met a few of her males from another litter she was involved in recently, and they were much more interested in interacting with their people than the other dogs... very velcro, but not jumping around like crazy like I noticed most of the females were. They seemed a little more chill, and just watching what was going on around them... this is what I mean by laid back.

My dobes as a child were goof balls, and were involved in all family activities... We could take them just about anywhere, and there were no issues. I would never consider having two male at one, I am NOT the animal guru my mother is lol... but I might consider getting a red female in a couple of years if my life permits it.

I do not plan on changing my decision to get a male, I was just wondering why everyone I speak to seems to think females are so much better. I have never had a female dobe, only males... but I find with other dogs, I do not really like the females.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I have had two of each, so it's a small sample size but I have noticed that my males tended to be a bit "goofier" than the girls. The girls have tended to be a bit more "Prima Donna". I DEFINITLY notice the boys seem more biddable too. Like I said this is a whopping total of 4 dogs though, so not really significant.

·
Premium Member
8,442 Posts
I have only had females yet my girls tend to have playdates with male. What I have noticed is that the males are more clingy, more silly. My females loved to be with me however they are aloof when they wanted their time.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have had 2 girls and one boy. The girls seem to be " a little more" independent than my male....but he is a rescue so that may be why....he is pretty clingy...and I love it!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
There's a reason the term "bitch" went into general usage, rather than only referring to female dogs. :)

I think a lot of people think males are more of a handful due to the size difference between the two genders. Also I think if a male is going to question authority, he's more likely to make a direct attempt using his size, etc. Bitches think a lot more, can be sneaky and thus more manipulative.

These are VERY broad generalizations, tho.

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
There's a reason the term "bitch" went into general usage, rather than only referring to female dogs. :)

I think a lot of people think males are more of a handful due to the size difference between the two genders. Also I think if a male is going to question authority, he's more likely to make a direct attempt using his size, etc. Bitches think a lot more, can be sneaky and thus more manipulative.

These are VERY broad generalizations, tho.
They may be very broad generalizations but it doesn't make them any less accurate as far as I'm concerned.

The fact that Doberman females are "bitches" in every sense of the word played heavily into the fact that nearly 50 years ago I decided I was not cut out to be a breeder. At the time I owned the one and only Dobe bitch that I'll ever have. After she produced the one and only litter that I have ever bred and ever intend to breed (two puppies and I was not ever satisfied with finding what I regarded as appropriate homes and owners for them).

Males may be bigger and more rowdy but like murreydobe I find them to at least be more straight forward if and when they decide they might know more tha you do. While I enjoy the company of some of the Dobe bitches that belong to friends it's only because I don't have to live with them 24/7.

In my experience males will take no for an answer and bitches will simply find a way to get their own way--either by being totally passive agressive r by being sneaky.

And yes, I did finally place the two puppies and I just noticed that my 85 pound intact males was prevented from getting on his own dog bed by the tiny, 8 pound rescue cat--she growled at him making it very clear she was not going to share.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had both male and female dogs, and notice that I am not a huge fan of girl dogs... that "bitch" term comes to mind lol... I never even thought about the fact I wanted a male... I do not even like hanging out with human females thattttt much, most of my friends are males lol. I have a female cat, and she is enough diva for our house.

·
Banned
494 Posts
I filled out a very detailed question sheet about what I was looking for in a dog, and she will be picking the puppy for us... this is not my first doberman, so i do not mean non energetic when I say laid back and not busy...

And I paraphrased with the moody thing... she was talking about how her females seem to be a bit more aloof.

I met a few of her males from another litter she was involved in recently, and they were much more interested in interacting with their people than the other dogs... very velcro, but not jumping around like crazy like I noticed most of the females were. They seemed a little more chill, and just watching what was going on around them... this is what I mean by laid back.

My dobes as a child were goof balls, and were involved in all family activities... We could take them just about anywhere, and there were no issues. I would never consider having two male at one, I am NOT the animal guru my mother is lol... but I might consider getting a red female in a couple of years if my life permits it.

I do not plan on changing my decision to get a male, I was just wondering why everyone I speak to seems to think females are so much better. I have never had a female dobe, only males... but I find with other dogs, I do not really like the females.
It sounds to me like you are talking to people who don't know what they're talking about. : )

I have heard that males are easier to train. If you have always preferred male dogs in other breeds, then you should get a male doberman. This is the first time I've ever heard of the concept that the female dobermans are so much "better" than the males. Sounds like a crock to me.

I have two females and I love them, but I don't think I'd hesitate to get a male. The only thing I don't like about male dogs is my male minpin having to lift his leg and pee on everything when we're out walking. But my alpha female doberman squats and pees to mark as we walk along, also.

You follow your heart and get the dog you want. When people start all that naysaying, sometimes I think it's because they're jealous. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts