Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I couldn't imagine having 2 dobermans in my house........my friend has 3 and its continually cleaning floors,etc. I told her she raised 5 kids and now its her 3 dobermans.......LOL! She is a wonderful owner,trainer.I'm blessed to know her........:)

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
From my experience, I'd say a male first. Nina has not taken too kindly the boys we've brought in that were younger than her. She has 0 mothering instinct, and rather gets nervous and anxious.
I'd say a boy first, then a girl. No matter what a boy will ALWAYS love a girl. The girls get set in their ways, and seem to find the boys intrusive...especially obnoxious puppy boys!

·
Super Moderator
21,714 Posts
I think male/female pairings are the easiest. My two get along great. We had Shanoa first, and adopted Simon (8 years old) when Shanoa was 2 1/2. She's definitely the boss (as it should be :) ).

Reactions: Tater927

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
From my experience, I'd say a male first. Nina has not taken too kindly the boys we've brought in that were younger than her. She has 0 mothering instinct, and rather gets nervous and anxious.
I'd say a boy first, then a girl. No matter what a boy will ALWAYS love a girl. The girls get set in their ways, and seem to find the boys intrusive...especially obnoxious puppy boys!
I believe it will depend on the dog. There is no guarantee with either coming first how they will get along. Of course with the exception that Dobermansrule said "she will be the boss!" LOL With my girl, Kyrah, there are only about 3 dogs she really gets along with and seems to really like. She has no mothering instincts or loving instints (cuddling, licking etc...) towards other dogs. I am hoping maybe as she get older? I can hope anyway. She does like to play with puppies but after play she is done with them. Get away and give me my space!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't feel it matters at all. The most important thing is to get the Doberman puppy that suits you best, and then when it comes time for your next dog, get a dog that again not only suits you but also will fit in well with the temperament of your current dog.

Male/female pairs definitely work the best within this breed (since they're so prone to same sex aggression), but it shouldn't matter which sex you get first. My female dogs do not mother my boy at all, and my boy does not pester the girls anymore than the girls pestered eachother when they were younger. I had a male Doberman (Winston) when I brought Dance and Keira home as well, and introducing them to him was the same as introducing Ripley to Dance and Keira when I brought Rip home.

Reactions: brw1982
1 - 9 of 9 Posts