Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new and I just took in a male Doberman (2yrs.) from a not so good situation. He is very sweet but has really had no training or manners taught to him. He is not neutered and he is EXTREMELY hyper. I realize that a new home is new and exciting but he literally is obsessed with our neutered male Boxer x. He will not leave him alone. They've done the whole mounting/dominating thing so much that you would think that they would be tired of it. In the end I think our Boxer (who quite a bit older) gave in and let Rex (Doberman) be dominant. But Rex is not doing this in an aggressive way it's actually all a BIG game to him - he's a real clown. He won't pay attention or listen to us AT ALL when the other dog is around. It isn't until we've had them separated for an hour or so that he calms down enough to know that we are actually here too! The biggest issue we have is his marking, he marks EVERYWHERE outside. When we bring him in the house he's up and down the halls running from room to room and he won't calm down. I'm constantly having to watch him because he marked in the house too!!!! My main question is:
If I neuter him now (at age 2) will it make a difference in his behavior and marking or is it too late? I heard to curb these issues he would've needed to be neutered early in age. Please help!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
It's really hard to say that his behavior will change, but I think that It's worth a go. Part of the hyperactivity is just the breed, they need alot of physical activity. Neutering is probably a good idea and might help to correct a few of the problems (maybe not marking or mounting) and it's more healthy for the dog in the long run, but I think the most important thing right now is to exercise him and get in control of the situation and set some ground rules. Remove the other dog from the area when you are practicing controling the situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any suggestions on how to gain control? It's hard to get his attention. Not even treats really works. Do you think I need to keep them separated? I almost have to keep him on a leash at all times when in the house to monitor him.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Run and run and run and run and run him until you both fall down dead. A tired dog is always a better dog, especially with this breed. When you think he's run enough, run him some more. (Try dog daycare too for socialization) Then bring him home and enforce a nice quiet time. Give him a nice full frozen kong and crate him or put him in a room away from your boxer. Teach him that this time everyday is quiet time. You're going to have to teach him how to settle because it sounds like he's not sure how.

Neutering will probably get you a bit more control because the hormones won't be spinning his brain in circles. It may help with the marking too. If not, it's just his personality. Once he's neutered, get him to obedience class to learn some tips and tricks and get him focused on you. This maaaay build up his confidence and reduce marking, but I wouldn't count on it. You could also put him on a drag leash in the house to help grab him if you need to.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have an unspayed female Chihuahua. Do you think this may be part of the problem?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Oh wow, yeah. Definitely! Poor boy. "Guh, I can smell her! Where is she? What am I supposed to do with THAT!?" :biggrin55

He will get some of his brain back if you neuter him, but he still may act like an intact male in that respect. (Sniffing her like crazy, etc.) Sometimes responses to stimuli like that never change if you neuter later. He'll probably only be a little nutty if she's in heat.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I almost have to keep him on a leash at all times when in the house to monitor him.
Well...if he's marking in the house repeatedly, I'd be keeping him in the same room with me at all times..if it takes keeping him on leash to do that, then that's what I'd do. In many ways, marking is just a basic housebreaking issue-the dog needs to be treated like a small puppy, and kept under supervision at all times.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this to you, but male dobermans as a rule generally don't do well in multi male homes. Adding an intact bitch to the mix only increases the chances of a fight between the two boys breaking out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He had a better day today. He's calming down a bit and listening a little better. He doesn't really come when he's called almost like he doesn't know his name or has never been told before??? I don't know how to get his attention even with treats.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Is there a particular reason not to neuter him? It might or might not help but won't hurt. Among things it might help are the marking/dominating/mounting behaviors and how easily he's distracted. Also if the female dog comes in season you're asking for a fight between the two male dogs sooner rather than later. There's a good chance of a fight eventually anyway, and neutering is one way to try to prevent that happening. He does not have to be neutered as a puppy in order for it make a difference in his behavior. I neutered a male Doberman when he was 9 years old and he stopped humping my female dogs, so it it never too late to at least try.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Keep him on a leash at all times in the house with you. He should be tethered to you or crated or kept in a separate room until he learns the house rules. Its a pain, but will pay off in the long run. Its like starting with a puppy.
His meals should be used as training. No free meals unless he does something for it. Come, sit, down whatever. A hungry pupil makes for a very attentive student.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We made his appt. today and he'll be in next week. Will there be a problem with the males even if my other dog is already neutered? What about after when they're both neutered?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He really hasn't eaten much since he's been here. I don't know what they fed him before but for the 2 1/2 days that he's been here, I've seen him eat from the dog dish maybe twice. I'm getting concerned. I don't know if it's just the adjustment or maybe he doesn't like the food.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
We made his appt. today and he'll be in next week. Will there be a problem with the males even if my other dog is already neutered? What about after when they're both neutered?
Neutered dogs will nearly always fair better than intact, but that does not guarantee that the two of them will never fight. Some people live completely gated off lives with multiple male dogs. If dobebug is around, she may have some insight, she only has males. Just keep a close eye and be the alpha. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Luckily they seem more like playmates than anything. Especially the male Doberman, he's just all play, no aggression at all even around the female etc...
Not to say that it won't happen, ever.....
Being intact has not caused aggression just unrulyness and marking. He's like the Tazmanian Devil!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
There has been a lot of good advice on this thread. If you want more specifics on how to lay the Groundwork for a new dog (or any dog, for that matter), I recommend you visit www.leerburg.com. Mind you, I don't agree 100% with everything they teach, but it's a great starting point for an out of control Dobe. There is a lot of helpful free stuff on the site, so you don't have to commit to buying anything. It sounds like you have a great Dobe that has such an intense love of life, but for your sanity's sake, you need to get that joie de vivre under control. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
"What I do is put my pup in with another pup. I am always there to supervise. It's fine for the pups to play together, but if one gets really snarly or tries to fight I say "PHOOIE!" and grab the offending pup and shake it by the back of its neck until it screams. I let it go and pet it to calm it down to show it that I still love it and I do not hold a grudge."

Whoa...if I were this guy's dogs, I would never trust him again. I understand that he's trying to establish a pack order and dictate who can and who can't fight, but good lord. Alpha is alpha because they ARE. Effective leaders are benevolent and can stop this type of behavior with a glare, or they never let it start.

I would think this would turn a dog that is snarly with others into a dog that innately fears confrontations with other dogs because he's had the crap kicked out of him. So now you have a fearful dog. So much worse than what you started with IMO.

The owner asking a question of this guy specifically asks if the correction would cause greater stress around other dogs. Uh, duh? He's not well socialized and growling in the first place, he's probably scared of a strange situation. *sigh*

Read what this guy says, but use a whole bucket of salt.

If he really wanted this poor dog to get better with people, he'd start with counter-conditioning to make it a good experience in the first place. Sure it takes more patience, but you'll get a much better result.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Neuter....neuter....neuter, oh did I say neuter.

Dont forget....spay...spay and spay.

Not really fair to your boys to have a female in the house who is not spayed. Just my opinion.

These dogs need lots of exercise both physical and mental.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Neuter....neuter....neuter, oh did I say neuter.

Dont forget....spay...spay and spay.

Not really fair to your boys to have a female in the house who is not spayed. Just my opinion.

These dogs need lots of exercise both physical and mental.
A bit off topic, but if anything it's actually more important to spay, boys arent the ones having the babies. :11doh:

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
it takes two to have babies...:)
And some males take that job seriously year round and even travel to get the job done

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.