Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, Jack is 17 months old now and so far, has been left in his crate while I'm at work (I see him at lunchtime).

The past couple of weeks I haven't been at work so I've been working instead on getting him used to free reign of most of my place while I've been home (hopefully he hasn't gotten too used to having me around, but I've tried to leave him for a while every day). It's been a great opportunity and we've totally enjoyed all the added time we've been able to spend together. It's amazing how I've seen our bond grow over that short time. Adding in some Christmas holidays, it's been the better part of a month and our relationship seems to have gotten better on the daily.

Anyway, by the time I go back on Monday, I feel comfortable saying Jack's reliable being left for a whole two hours while I'm out (we've done 1.5 hours a couple times). He's a good boy, with a solid foundation, who's just sitting there happily on the couch when I return, but I find myself wondering if four hours is going to be a stretch or not come Monday morning.

So...assuming we do 2 hours just fine over the weekend, should I just go for the whole morning on Monday? (and then of course the whole afternoon after lunch)? Or do you feel that would be pushing it? Clearly the strategy is to leave him good and tired, as I have been, and rest assured the place is fully puppy-proofed...but I still worry. I'd rather not have any set backs, though he's given me no reason to doubt him.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
The only way to find out is to take a chance :D If you're sure he's safe (he won't eat anything, etc.), I'd say try a morning and see what happens. You can always crate in the afternoon.

My dogs don't do anything but sleep on the couch while we're gone.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
If one can learn to skate and not fall on ones behind for an hour, the technique has been learned...your not winning any gold medals or scoring goals, but the act of doing something new was accomplished, with a level of confidence.

For me, once a dobe masters 1 hour alone time, on the couch and not chewing it or the corner of the coffee table...the lesson has been learned.
- I went from 1 hour to 2-4 hours within a few days / never had a problem
I think smart dogs have some cause/effect reasoning (however limited)...be good, and the perks open up...is the message.
- stretching 2 hours unsupervised into 4, would not concern me much / I would just do it
I always told my dobe, "Amy, be a good girl and DaDa will be back soon"...and I petted her on the couch, so she knew where I wanted her to rest and await my return.

Dogs don't have the same concept of time as humans...2 hours or 4, all the same to them / when they show good behavor, extending the alone time, is easy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did the same thing with mine. I would leave him for an hour or two at most but felt worried about anything longer. Now he is never crated. Its probably been over a year since mine has had to stay in the crate when I'm gone and I've left him for over 8 hours before. If he is just laying on the couch when you return from those short trips, thats a good sign that hes not stressing out or too bored. You just have to take the risk and see what happens then go from there.

I've always thought about doing this but keep forgetting to set it up. You could set up a webcam in the living room while your gone and have it record to your computer to see what he is doing while your gone. Mine likes to steal soft cuddily things and go lay with them on the couch. Its rather amusing to find because he doesn't tear them apart or anything, just lays with them.

Good luck with Jack

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, okay thanks, guys. I'll just give it a shot then come Monday.

Sorry the haha was for the 'he goes grabs cuddly things and brings them to the couch' comment, Tyson. That's pretty cute.

What's weird is that when I've left him I often come home to him on the couch but the throw cushion laying on the floor. Still can't figure out why. Doesn't appear to be chewed on or anything. I think he just likes to toss in on the floor and lay where it was sitting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Barrett stays out all day now and hasn't been in his kennel for almost 3 weeks. After his first birthday I started leaving him out all morning. He is NOT a morning Doberman so he would just sleep all morning and be stretching it off when I got home at lunch time. Then on the afternoon's he didn't have daycare he would be kenneled or I would leave him with a frozen peanut butter Kong. Now I don't have to worry because I know he is just lying on his bed and when I get home he is stretching at the door. :) We baby gate off the entire upstairs because he doesn’t get to enjoy the king sized bed and new carpet alone!
I was going to tell you, Barrett also rearranges some things while I'm gone. He will pull his bed to a sun patch in another room! Almost every day I come home and his dog bed is in a different spot. I’m not sure what goes on between him and his bed. :D

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Once my wife bought this really thin throw blanket, so at lunch time when Amy jumped on the leather lazyboy, I covered her up (for fun) before I went back to work at 12:30 pm.
I tucked her in wih the blanket and all I left was her nose exposed, and told her how much I loved her, but dad had to go.

Returning 5 hours later, I unlocked the house door, and AMY was there to greet me.
I pissed myself laughing, the "throw blankie" was still on her back (tips dragging as she walked), as she stood in front of me.
The wiggle-butt, hadn't moved off the livingroom furnature, all afternoon.
- who needs a web cam...LOL...I had the proof, what she did, when she was left alone (NOTHING, but sleep)
I also always leave the TV on CNN, so she can hear people talking, the summer AC on, don't turn down the heat in the winter time and keep lights on if its evening time...keep the routine normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you ever got up to do whatever, and when you came back you found a large dog comfortably laying in your spot...happens all the time in my house. He gets to lay on the comfortable floor after that :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts