Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My Doberman was rehomed to me at 9 months. He was apparently cropped very late (unsure of details) beforehand, however since being in my care he’s received the best care and treatment that his health is now at its best.
One ear is much longer than the other. The crop is majorly uneven. Very noticeableI will never put him through a crop to even them out but I would love if the shorter one was closer to the length of the other which is longer and much nicer.
Does anyone have any suggestions to correct this? Any ideas on how to increase/add inches to an ear?

·
Big Lil pup
7,333 Posts
Hi Nad.Welcome from the Pacific NW.

How about positing a photo of your pup's ears? It's pretty simple using the "insert image" icon on the middle 0f the tool bar below. Unfortunately, I have never heard of an "ear stretcher". Honestly, IMO, simply trimming one existing ear of a young dog would not be that big of a deal. One just has to make sure that it is done by a qualified ear cropper, so they match nicely.

And thanks for providing your boy with a new home. Lucky dog. Lucky you!

John L.
Portland OR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

How about positing a photo of your pup's ears? It's pretty simple using the "insert image" icon on the middle 0f the tool bar below. Unfortunately, I have never heard of an "ear stretcher". Honestly, IMO, simply trimming one existing ear of a young dog would not be that big of a deal. One just has to make sure that it is done by a qualified ear cropper, so they match nicely.

John L.
Portland OR
we

John L.
Portland OR
Dog Gesture Carnivore Grass Working animal

·
Big Lil pup
7,333 Posts
Hard to see in that photo. It almost seems like it is not necessarily a size difference issue, but more of a really poor after crop posting effort. If the right ears is pulled up straight, is it approximately the same height as the standing left ear?

I can't see your second attachment (Photo?)

JL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

John L.
Portland OR
Hi, thanks for your response. I’ve attacked some photos. He is almost years old, recrop is not an option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,
My Doberman was rehomed to me at 9 months. He was apparently cropped very late (unsure of details) beforehand, however since being in my care he’s received the best care and treatment that his health is now at its best.
One ear is much longer than the other. The crop is majorly uneven. Very noticeableI will never put him through a crop to even them out but I would love if the shorter one was closer to the length of the other which is longer and much nicer.
Does anyone have any suggestions to correct this? Any ideas on how to increase/add inches to an ear?
Hand Leg Dog Carnivore Dog breed

·
Extraordimary
5,059 Posts
I think that the right ear has a pocket which is just sinking it down. If you posted those ears appropriately, you might have a chance of getting them looking a bit better. Can you pull it out and it looks more even to the other? Or is it shorter even if you do pull it out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that the right ear has a pocket which is just sinking it down. If you posted those ears appropriately, you might have a chance of getting them looking a bit better. Can you pull it out and it looks more even to the other? Or is it shorter even if you do pull it out?
I do think it’s the pocket creating an even worse size difference but even if I pull it out, it is shorter. He is almost 2 (in 2 months) I don’t think posting will have any significant impact

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry I didn't realize he is 2. I was thinking you hadn't him long and he was still 9 months-ish.
Yeah it’s just that he is beautiful and I’ve restored his health, nourished him and got him the treatment he needed. He is flourishing every day it’s just that the ears are all that’s left of his unfortunate past, hence I was hoping there was a way to correct them

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I looked at the pictures and I absolutely agree that the reason that ears looks so much shorter is that there is definitely a pocket and I don't think there is a lot of hope that you could even fix that with surgery at this point. At nine months you probably could have gotten rid of the pocket with remedial posting but maybe not even then. The cartilage at the base of the ears hardens early and once it's hardened it really difficult to get it to take a different 'set' than it has.

I think you'll just have to live with it and have it as a reminder of how fortunate it was that you got him and have only the tipped ear as a reminder of his unfortunate past.

Thanks for recuing him.

dobebug

1 - 20 of 22 Posts