Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My 14 month old female Doberman has large bumps as well as little pustules on her back, chest, and neck. She also has a red rash on her abdomen. Also, she has developed a stinky smell from her fur.She has been struggling with these recurring symptoms for at least four months.
She has been on Iams Large Breed Puppy Food since she was little. She does not get human food. She gets salmon oil on her food and coconut oil on her fur. She is bathed about once a month with Zymox shampoo and conditioning rinse. I cannot detect a pattern for why the bumps come or what makes them worst or better.
She has seen the vet twice in the last two months for similar symptoms. The shots and pills help, but the problem is reoccurring and we would like to solve it.

What could this be? And how can we help her?

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
Has your vet done a skin scrape to check for mites? Have you tried changing her food to something without corn? Did the problems start before or after you started with the salmon and coconut oils?

Its possible that you might need a referral to a dermatologist for a complete workup if your regular vet can't get a handle on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the exact same issue with my 7mo it's frustrating. About to go to a third vet on Wednesday to see if we can get anywhere it looks like this today which is the worst so far. His hair began to fall out around it today during bath. We are on natural balance food limited ingredient diet. He has about everything you said including the smell. Have you found out anything since your initial post? Something strange about it is it jumps around spots of his body. Started head, then lower back, then back legs, stomach and now shoulders. Any advice or incite is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Having the exact same issue with my 7mo it's frustrating. About to go to a third vet on Wednesday to see if we can get anywhere it looks like this today which is the worst so far. His hair began to fall out around it today during bath. We are on natural balance food limited ingredient diet. He has about everything you said including the smell. Have you found out anything since your initial post? Something strange about it is it jumps around spots of his body. Started head, then lower back, then back legs, stomach and now shoulders. Any advice or incite is greatly appreciated!

Puppy staph infections are not uncommon.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,601 Posts
Speaking from experience here after dealing with similar issues on and off with my girl; I know we love to trust our vets but if he/she can't get a handle on it pretty quick, ask for a referral to a dermatologist. Yep, it's expensive but worth every penny.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Most regular vet's reach for antibiotics and steroids which actually will have a rebound effect and make things worse. Always feed probiotics when giving antibiotics.

Try here: https://www.b-naturals.com/

I would suggest a holistic veterinarian as they work on healing your dog from the inside out or a dermatologist is better than a regular vet.

Some helpful information...

Canine Allergies and Your Dog's Health - Whole Dog Journal Article

How Often Should You Bathe Your Pet?

Does Your Pet Have Allergies? What You Need to Know and Do

Feeding sardines packed in water, not olive oil, helped my boy tremendously. Start slow, but work up to half can with a.m. meal and other half at nite. Feed before meal to reduce fishy afterbreath.

Sardines :: A Super Hero FOOD FOR DOGS by Diane Jansey

Dogged Blog: Suds over drugs: Daily bathing beats antibiotics for resistant skin infections in dogs

Either rinse off before bringing in the house or you can use a damp cloth or scent free baby wipes. You need to get pollen off the body plus use the foot rinse.

Try Natures Variety Instinct foods. Look on your Iams food your feeding and avoid those ingredients especially the meat protein and possible grains. Okay, just checked the Iams ingredients. Try a protein other than chicken. Chicken is a very common allergen if it is a food allergy. I also wouldn't feed any food where the first ingredient isn't a named meat source such as beef, salmon, duck, deer, etc.

·
Big Lil pup
6,157 Posts
Puppy staph infections are not uncommon.
" has large bumps as well as little pustules on her back, chest, and neck."

Yeah....It does sound a a lot like staph. Doesn't it? Although I realize staph is more common in younger puppies, we had a male who had recurring staph for his first couple of years. The description is very similar.

However, I would think that that would be one thing the vet consider and try to eliminate early on.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,601 Posts
The shampoo mentioned in that link, Duoxo, has helped Mocha tremendously, along with the change in diet.

Personally, and I'll be discussing this with the dermatologist this Wednesday during our follow-up, I think we have a two-fold problem. The chronic flaky skin and hair loss was mostly, if not totally due to dietary issues and the bumps we were noticing this summer were environmental allergies.

I say this because the entire time after her surgery where I was leash walking Mocha potty, she had no bumps at all but as soon as we started playing fetch and she ended up rolling/sliding in the grass, a few bumps have appeared here and there. But the dandruff is almost non-existent and her coat is looking so much better.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Having had a female who had recurring bumps and rashes and my regular vet always giving steroids and antibodies it was a circle, clear up then recur. IMO a Vet Dermatologist can identify quickly and get a handle on the correct way to help. My girl suffered from environmental allergies and was on shots, once a week. It kept things in balance. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
" has large bumps as well as little pustules on her back, chest, and neck."

Yeah....It does sound a a lot like staph. Doesn't it? Although I realize staph is more common in younger puppies, we had a male who had recurring staph for his first couple of years. The description is very similar.

However, I would think that that would be one thing the vet consider and try to eliminate early on.
Recurring staph infections can be and are a common symptom of allergies. That's why I use the vinegar water spray on Parker a lot. The vinegar kills bacteria(staph) and makes the skin ph resistant to yeast, which is another common problem with allergies.

The shampoo mentioned in that link, Duoxo, has helped Mocha tremendously, along with the change in diet.

Personally, and I'll be discussing this with the dermatologist this Wednesday during our follow-up, I think we have a two-fold problem. The chronic flaky skin and hair loss was mostly, if not totally due to dietary issues and the bumps we were noticing this summer were environmental allergies.

I say this because the entire time after her surgery where I was leash walking Mocha potty, she had no bumps at all but as soon as we started playing fetch and she ended up rolling/sliding in the grass, a few bumps have appeared here and there. But the dandruff is almost non-existent and her coat is looking so much better.
I had a similar experience when I had to board Parker for ten days while I had surgery. He was on concrete and came back all cleared up, feet and all.

Parker has both environmental and food allergies. Chicken is his biggie.

Oh, I forgot on other post, but the allergies to meat are caused by proteins. So your dog might not be able to have chicken, but chicken fat would be okay because it contains no protein.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

It looks like there are several kinds of douxo shampoo do can you tell me what you're using?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
First thing I would do is a full Thyroid panel. Hypothyroidism is common in Dobermans, even young Dobermans.

Recently, I have been in contact with 2 different people, with Dobes experiencing the same symptoms you are describing. Both were diagnosed as Allergies, and after several rounds of antibiotics, diet changes and whatever else -- turned out both were Hypothyroid. Both were under 2 years of age.

·
Big Lil pup
6,157 Posts
First thing I would do is a full Thyroid panel. Hypothyroidism is common in Dobermans, even young Dobermans.

Recently, I have been in contact with 2 different people, with Dobes experiencing the same symptoms you are describing. Both were diagnosed as Allergies, and after several rounds of antibiotics, diet changes and whatever else -- turned out both were Hypothyroid. Both were under 2 years of age.
Yes... easy test and it would be really good to know at an early age that your pup was potentially hypo-thyroid. Even marginal....

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Is she around a Oak tree just found out today Oak tree especially Pin Oak trees have Mites on the leaves nothing will kill them ? they fall out of the tree by the thousands and if they land on you they bite you. They can leave huge red whelps that itch just read it in today's news paper they just found out about the recently.
Oak trees are bad for dogs all the way around did not know this planted a Pin Oak in the back yard a long time ago now it is huge. This may be Buddy's skin issue nothing we can do can not afford to cut the huge tree down since hubby broke his neck in 2009 and I'm on disability with my back.It is a big shade tree though.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Just an fyi vinegar does not kill staph and burns like a mother on an open sore. Yes it discourages yeast but I would not put it on anything open/oozing.

^Our girl was dx'd very young hypo, under 2.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Just an fyi vinegar does not kill staph and burns like a mother on an open sore. Yes it discourages yeast but I would not put it on anything open/oozing.

^Our girl was dx'd very young hypo, under 2.
LOL, "burns like a mother", that sounds a little dramatic, but yes, it does sting like alcohol does on an open sore, but that's all.

It may not exactly kill staph, but it sure will stop it in its tracks and make it go away somewhere, tho I know not where. :)

Here are some pictures of Parker from last year with what looks to me like a staph outbreak and the results of spraying it two or three times a day for a week or so. Don't remember the exact number of days now, but not over seven, if that many.

Damp with 50/50 vinegar water spray. 7-16-14

Eight days later. 7-24-14

Twelve days 7-28-14

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,601 Posts
It looks like there are several kinds of douxo shampoo do can you tell me what you're using?
I'm so sorry, just now saw your question. It's Duoxo Chlorhexidine Shampoo. The dermatologist also gave us Chlorhex 2X 4% spray. In the beginning, we were bathing Mocha 2x per week with the shampoo, and spraying her once or twice a day as need with the spray. Then as she started getting better, we only bathed her once a week with the shampoo, still sprayed as needed and now I bathe her once a month with the shampoo and no longer use the spray. I could probably stop the bathing but since winter is coming (Game of Thrones, see what I did there?) and historically, Mocha has had dry skin, I think I'll continue the once a month baths until spring and then see where we are.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts