Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every day, Lyric, Jose and Chuli and I go on about an hour or hour and a half off leash hike or walk in the woods or on the beach where I live. There's not a soul around this time of year, absolutely gorgeous and silent. I like the dogs to stay on the trail. I mean...they can go off a little bit to explore, but when I say, "trail," that means to return to the trail. I just need them to stick around pretty close.

Well, yesterday, Lyric ran full speed after a squirrel which ran off into the woods quite a little ways. I called him, "lyric, trail!" And viola! he slammed on the brakes and pivotted around and came right to me, whereby he was praised and given a little treat. Then as he was sitting, he kept looking back at that tree the squirrel went up and back at me, all his muscles a quiver, but he stayed right there. LOL. Then I said, "Ok." And he immediately raced to that tree again. It was like, "Ok Mom, I'll come anytime you call me. But pleeeeeeeze, let me get back to my work." LOL. (Gotta let 'em have some fun.) I don't mind him doing that, but I wanted to have him practice coming when I call, no matter what.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hey that's great!! He responded to you and kept the trail clear of the killer squirrels at the same time!! (heheh! Lexy watches for them now that she had one run out in front of her once, she is on killer squirrel patrol all the time now!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL! Dobermans: great protectors!

Yeah...he's so cute. Today...same thing. I call him frequently (for practice) either, "let's go" or a formal come and I usually say his name first. I don't even get his whole name out, much less the command word and he's doing a sliding stop and turning around like a cutting horse. LOL.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh cool TracyJo. I think it helps that they're the breed they are. They are definitely "into" their owners. LOL. (I feel sort of like it's cheating to brag about a Doberman doing that. LOL.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL! Yeah...I think the only reason the Doberman won't obey at some of those certain times, is that they have Greyhound in their make-up....that sight hound probably is what mellowed them out, but also what contributed to that generally high prey drive. LOL. What a theory, huh? LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts