Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this is a long one!

4/14 when Kato (3 yr old male) was eating breakfast I noticed a lump on the back of each knee. When I felt them I instantly figured out they were enlarged lymph nodes, maybe the size and shape of a grape cut in half. Instantly I felt dread and thought... Lymphoma. (My brother in law's 5 year old mixed breed just passed away from this a few months ago). Kato has no other symptoms. He's eating and drinking fine, hasn't lost any weight, still won't stop running non stop in our yard. Skin and hair coat seem fine.

I called my vet and made him an appointment for 4/16. I live in Michigan and our vet isn't letting clients in with their pets (totally sucks) but they send someone out to get your dog and then the vet calls you while you wait in your vehicle. The vet called and confirmed his popliteal lymph nodes were enlarged but the ones in his neck are "palpable" but not what he would call enlarged. He also said that he has "definitely seen bigger" (totally didn't make me feel any better). They ran a bunch of blood work and said he would call later with the results.

The vet called me a few hours later. He said the labs were not what he was expecting, which was good. The only thing elevated was his eosinophils at 1.7 range is .06-1.23 which made him believe there was possibly an allergic reaction that was going on. The vet explained although it's hopefully just an allergic reaction if we start treatment right away and don't see progress in 2 weeks we then have to have Kato off the medications for a full week before a biopsy and then wait another week for biopsy results, so if for some reason this is Lymphoma and we caught it super early then we would be set back 1 month for treatment. I went ahead and had them remove 1 lymph node for a biopsy. Surgery was 4/19. Waiting for results is just about the worst thing ever, on top of trying to keep a Doberman from running, jumping, and licking his incision.

Fast forward to yesterday 4/28. I got the preliminary results after calling my vet for 3 days in a row bugging him. He said they noted some inflammation, and everything looked good until the very bottom of the report where it basically said thought he saw a couple round cells but they are going to have another pathologist look at it. UGH. My vet said we should have the final report tomorrow.

I've been a complete wreck. 3 years ago I lost my first Doberman, Axle, at 5 yrs old to cancer. I'm not ready to lose another one. I'm at a loss for words. Any advice on what to do if I get bad news tomorrow? I told my husband even though I don't know how we can afford it I want to do chemo. I'm in Michigan, my first thoughts were MSU but I want to go to the best.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,432 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this--waiting for test results is so scary.

I don't know what to tell you...except...hang in there. I hope you get good news.

And keep us in the loop--there may be some other folks here who have gone through something similar. Hopefully they'll chime in.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I can't offer you any intelligent reply from experience or otherwise, but I do feel you pain and the anxiety that comes from this. I will be watching this thread to see any updates, so try to stay calm until you know something for sure. I know it is hard.

·
Big Lil pup
6,473 Posts
Hi Hanna.. I am sorry that you and your boy are going through this.

As far as: " my first thoughts were MSU but I want to go to the best"....
There are a number of folks who would definitely consider Michigan State among the best.

I hope everything works out well.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR (Ex- Michigander)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Hanna.. I am sorry that you and your boy are going through this.

As far as: " my first thoughts were MSU but I want to go to the best"....
There are a number of folks who would definitely consider Michigan State among the best.

I hope everything works out well.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR (Ex- Michigander)
MSU is definitely going to be my first choice but another option would be BluePearl Vet Hospital, both are about 45 minutes away. I've heard good and bad about both, but never from anyone that took their animals there specifically for chemotherapy. I am willing to travel a little more if I have to but my husband and I both work full time so having something closer will be more feasible in the long run for multiple treatments. I appreciate any and all advice!! I'm PRAYING that they didn't find any round cells and the final report comes back normal. It's really hard to stay positive right now.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
fingers crossed for your boy!

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bad news.... Both pathologists came back with "suspected early stage lymphoma". I gave the go ahead to do a staining test to find out what type and stage then I will get a referral to oncology. The vet did say when he was talking to the lab tech that she said MSU will make us a priority to get in if we caught the cancer early and time is on our side... If not it's a 2 month wait. I will probably ask the vet to refer me to multiple oncologists so we can get started on treatment ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of his diagnosis. Thanks to your vigilance and early detection you will definitely be able to extend his life. I would ask for a referral to other oncologists in (or out of) the area. You can always make multiple appointments and then cancel if necessary. Let us know when you hear more.

·
Big Lil pup
6,473 Posts
Hanna.. I just saw this update. Again... I am sorry that you and Kato have to go through this.

I hope everything works out. Please come back and let us know how your boy is doing.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well.... Here's my update. Kato has large B cell lymphoma. We of course are going to try chemo. My heart is shattered. He just turned 3 years old in January.

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
Well.... Here's my update. Kato has large B cell lymphoma. We of course are going to try chemo. My heart is shattered. He just turned 3 years old in January.
Hannah,

At that age usually chemo is pretty successful in pushing the patient into remission. And sometimes the remissions will last for years.

One of my friends who worked at the same vet clinic has Bullmastiffs and they are evidently rather prone to lymphoma two of her males in a row developed it so we all learned quite a lot about lymphomas. The younger dog was about 2.5 when he developed it and he went into remissions and actually had a second round of lymphoma and subsequent chemo--actually got a second remission but that one didn't last as long. The other dog was older and the did one round of chemo for him but although he did go into a short remission it didn't last long.

I hope your Kato does well with the chemo and has a long remission...

dobebug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hannah,

At that age usually chemo is pretty successful in pushing the patient into remission. And sometimes the remissions will last for years.

One of my friends who worked at the same vet clinic has Bullmastiffs and they are evidently rather prone to lymphoma two of her males in a row developed it so we all learned quite a lot about lymphomas. The younger dog was about 2.5 when he developed it and he went into remissions and actually had a second round of lymphoma and subsequent chemo--actually got a second remission but that one didn't last as long. The other dog was older and the did one round of chemo for him but although he did go into a short remission it didn't last long.

I hope your Kato does well with the chemo and has a long remission...

dobebug
I'm definitely learning more than I ever though I would about lymphoma, I'll probably be an expert in no time! I bought the Dog Cancer Survival Guide book on Amazon and so far it has been very helpful. I think my favorite part about it is talking about the emotions you go through when dealing with all of this. I already changed Kato's diet to 1/2 holistic kibble and 1/2 homemade (unfortunately when your dog is 90 lbs completely homemade isn't really a financial option) and added some of the good supplements they suggest like 10,000 mg of fish oil a day. I'm trying very very hard not to lose hope and I've been saving most of my crying for the drive home from work so Kato doesn't see me upset. Luckily he has no idea he is sick, he just knows he LOVES mealtime even more now. I should be hearing from my vet today about a treatment plan for him. We are about 3 weeks out since I found his swollen lymph nodes and really anxious to start chemo treatments. I was planning on going to a big horse show in 7 weeks but I cancelled, I can't imagine losing that time with Kato. My husband and I are going to buy a camper and spend a lot of our weekend camping with the dogs. I read a quote that said something to the effect of "cancer doesn't teach you how to die, it teaches you how to truly live". I think we will be doing a lot of living this summer.

To be continued.....

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,619 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your boy's diagnosis but the way you are dealing with it is amazing. Look at all you have accomplished in such a short time especially when this has been so emotionally draining for you.

I'm sending good juju and thoughts your way for your sweet boy and his treatment plan going forward. He's a young, strong boy so he has lots of fight in him.

I agree with your quote. My old gal was almost 10 when she was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. We planned a week of pain management and then the Friday she would go to the bridge at home with us. That week was incredibly sad knowing our time was coming to an end with her and that she was not well at all but we also celebrated her life so much that week because Coco was going to go out with a bang for all the joy and love she had brought to us. She was so honoured by her family and friends that week because she deserved it.

Like I said your boy is young and strong. There is lots of fight left in him and you I can tell. You're a good mama for your boy! You guys have got this!

#F#$k cancer

Reactions: melbrod
1 - 13 of 13 Posts