Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday my boyfriend took our almost-4-month-old puppy to the vet for his normal checkup and vaccinations. He was given the option to get a Lyme vaccination, so he went for it.

Thursday evening, the dog was lethargic, out of sorts, and had what appeared to be joint pain in his hindquarters. He also refused to come inside every time we let him out. I believe he went through 3 gallons of water that night, as well.

Friday, he woke up sore and lethargic and refused his breakfast. Boyfriend said he made the pup get up and walk around a bit to try and get him to "walk it off." The dog evacuated and had diarrhea for a bit, then seemed fine. He squealed once or twice when getting up or laying down, but otherwise was acting normally. He ate some lunch and all of his dinner with gusto. He also continued to drink heavily.

Yesterday, he was extremely lethargic. Refused most of his food, squealed when walking down the stairs, squealed when laying down *and* when getting up. We took him to the vet, who said this is just normal soreness after the Lyme vax. He completely refused his dinner, drank a little, and generally wanted to sleep all day and evening. When I let him out before bed he ran after a rabbit, then whined and plopped down on the ground. Had to carry him back inside.

Now, I'm upset. My dog WILL NOT get up to walk around. We're reduced to carrying him everywhere. We had to hand-feed him breakfast. The vet didn't give us any suggestions on how to help my dog, and so I've come to you good people.

Is there anything I can do for him? Is this going to pass? Am I overreacting because this is my first dog? Has anyone else seen this reaction in their dogs? Help. :(

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I do not know the recommended age range for the vaccine. I know both if my dogs have always been vaccinated for Lyme and never had a reaction like that. I would have to look to know exactly the age Ivan was when he was vaccinated, but I'm guessing it was 5 or 6 months.

·
Premium Member
8,734 Posts
I had a Greyhound years ago have a really bad allergic reaction to a Lymes shot - almost lost him..... will never do one again. I've treated the disease... and still won't do the shot.

I would be talking to another vet as well - this does not seem to be normal at all.

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
I'd look for a new vet, too, right now. If he's still lethargic and having symptoms I'd be at the e-vet now, and look for a new regular vet.

I highly recommend spreading vaccines out, rather than doing all of them in a single visit.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
2nd opinion can't hurt seems like the pup has been poorly a few days to me thats too long best wishes for a speedy recovery,please keep us posted we care.Rays & Hugs.

·
Registered
687 Posts
A friend's Dachshund had a similarly bad reaction to his first Lyme shot and decided not go back for the second round. I'd have the puppy seen my another vet ASAP. It sounds like he needs emergency care ASAP. Also, you should consider handling your dog's health affairs directly, not through your boyfriend. At a minimum he should have consulted you before going for the shot.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay, i have an update.

it's definitely muscular, and behaves like a pulled muscle - when he sits still too long, it's more painful than if he's been up and moving about. he began feeling better yesterday, and we opted to avoid the emergency vet because he was up on his feet almost all day with no yelping. heck, he took off full-tilt after a squirrel yesterday morning and showed no signs of soreness or lameness, and didn't utter even the slightest whimper until he decided he was tired last night. he also ate heartily. i'm calling the vet this morning to check in regarding pain management as he was a little sore for his early potty run.

this is the third or fourth vet office we've dealt with for our pets (i have two cats), and the only one we actually trust around here. i don't think this is a case for negligence; i honestly believe the gentleman we saw on Saturday thought the pain was related to the vaccine. so did we, until we realized it was muscular.

as the boyfriend and i share ownership, we also share the vet responsibility. please do not accuse him in any way. we had no idea what was going to happen, and i'm now fairly sure it was coincidence that this showed up the same day as the shot. i would have okayed the shot had he asked me, because i didn't know this would happen.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
final update. the pain he's experiencing was purely coincidental. he actually hass a pulled muscle over his left hip. have him on an NSAID and he's doing better.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
As we do not vaccinate here for Lymes may I ask a question? Where was the vaccination site, in muscle, under the skin? If in the muscle was it the left hind leg or right he received his jab? Did the vet say anything like this jab is a bit painful going in, ie the liquid is slowly injected because of its viscosity? I know sometimes if my dogs are given jabs that are for want of a better word 'jellylike' it usually bruises and they are sore afterwards in that area, might this have happened to your little one?
Fact is it may well be a pulled muscle, but usually they do not go after so short a time, but rather linger for a week or so and then show up from time to time during play or the like. I would be more inclined to think it was related to the jabs but not necessarily to just one type, perhaps the combination of this and that was a bit too much for his system. Heck I just had a Tetanus jab and my arm was so painful for 5 days after I could have cried, it swelled up, was all red and sore looking (where the jab was put in) and my doctor swore it shouldnt have done this, not to this extent. Some folk and dogs react differently to jabs, in future it may be an idea to space them out as a whole bunch of vaccines entering your little ones system may prove a bit too much for it to handle, hence the reaction.
I in no way discount the pulled muscle theory and neither am I knocking anyone for going ahead with the jab. Decisions have to be made based on what you feel is right for the dog and your boyfriend made the decision based on what was put before him.

Wishing you all the best and please, we do love pics on this site, so if you get a minute, let us see your little darling.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Just copied this from an online site, but here are A FEW symptoms of the actual disease (lyme):
"Many dogs with Lyme disease have recurrent lameness of the limbs due to inflammation of the joints. Others, meanwhile, may develop acute lameness, which lasts for only three to four days but recurs days to weeks later, with lameness in the same leg, or in other legs. Better known as “shifting-leg lameness,” this condition is characterized by lameness in one leg, with a return to normal function, and another leg is then involved; one or more joints may be swollen and warm; a pain response is elicited by feeling the joint"
When people/dogs get vaccines, they are actually getting a tiny dosage of whatever you are trying to prevent, so like when a human gets the flu vax, they can in fact feel pretty bad for a few days because they were actually given the flu just in a small dose. Not sure if this is your case, but very well could be. Or if the vax was givenin the muscle, that could be rather painful especially for a baby. Hope he recovers well :(

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hoping you a full recovery.
I'm happy to hear it's nothing serious and he's making a nice recovery.
thanks. so far, so good. he actually ate all of both breakfast and lunch today - that hasn't happened in a week. i'm sure he'll be fine. :)

As we do not vaccinate here for Lymes may I ask a question? Where was the vaccination site, in muscle, under the skin? If in the muscle was it the left hind leg or right he received his jab? Did the vet say anything like this jab is a bit painful going in, ie the liquid is slowly injected because of its viscosity? I know sometimes if my dogs are given jabs that are for want of a better word 'jellylike' it usually bruises and they are sore afterwards in that area, might this have happened to your little one?
Fact is it may well be a pulled muscle, but usually they do not go after so short a time, but rather linger for a week or so and then show up from time to time during play or the like. I would be more inclined to think it was related to the jabs but not necessarily to just one type, perhaps the combination of this and that was a bit too much for his system. Heck I just had a Tetanus jab and my arm was so painful for 5 days after I could have cried, it swelled up, was all red and sore looking (where the jab was put in) and my doctor swore it shouldnt have done this, not to this extent. Some folk and dogs react differently to jabs, in future it may be an idea to space them out as a whole bunch of vaccines entering your little ones system may prove a bit too much for it to handle, hence the reaction.
I in no way discount the pulled muscle theory and neither am I knocking anyone for going ahead with the jab. Decisions have to be made based on what you feel is right for the dog and your boyfriend made the decision based on what was put before him.

Wishing you all the best and please, we do love pics on this site, so if you get a minute, let us see your little darling.
it was subcutaneous. i thought of the same thing you did - that if it were intramuscular, that might be the source of all the problems - but the vet and one of the techs both confirmed that they administer subcutaneously (under the skin). my other concern was maybe they hit a nerve, but that's unlikely in a sub-q jab.

i'll get a few photos up soon. i know our breeder would be thrilled to see me brag over here. :)

Just copied this from an online site, but here are A FEW symptoms of the actual disease (lyme):
"Many dogs with Lyme disease have recurrent lameness of the limbs due to inflammation of the joints. Others, meanwhile, may develop acute lameness, which lasts for only three to four days but recurs days to weeks later, with lameness in the same leg, or in other legs. Better known as “shifting-leg lameness,” this condition is characterized by lameness in one leg, with a return to normal function, and another leg is then involved; one or more joints may be swollen and warm; a pain response is elicited by feeling the joint"
When people/dogs get vaccines, they are actually getting a tiny dosage of whatever you are trying to prevent, so like when a human gets the flu vax, they can in fact feel pretty bad for a few days because they were actually given the flu just in a small dose. Not sure if this is your case, but very well could be. Or if the vax was givenin the muscle, that could be rather painful especially for a baby. Hope he recovers well :(
i wasn't sure whether the Lyme vax is live or what the deal was, and i neglected to ask yesterday. this did occur to us. however, he's an active bugger (there are CATS in this house and they must be chased!!), so i'm certain it's a pulled muscle. :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but did you end up taking him to the vet, for a check over? I would also let your vet know about this incident.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep, she's the one who prescribed the rimadyl. :)

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
Banned
948 Posts
We were thinking the same thing. It could have been that the vaccination site hit a tendon, or just caused tenderness. Vaccinations can create the inflammation response to develop antibodies; it depends upon the individual how severe, (dog or person), or no realized response. That is why some people think the "flu" vaccine gives them the flu. They may feel generalized muscle weakness, as their bodies are responding to the foreign invasion of the "contaminant" in the flu vaccine, in order for their bodies to produce the antibodies.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did your vet recommend pre-medicating, in future, prior to any more vaccines?
no...because this wasn't necessarily related to the vaccinations.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
no...because this wasn't necessarily related to the vaccinations.
Except, what if it is?

One of my dogs has a hx of vaccine reactions, and she is always pre-medicated when she's due boosters. Just a safety precaution, and helps her to be more comfortable in the days following the vaccinations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts