Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to poll some thoughts regarding the need for this vaccine when traveling to the mountains to go hiking for a few weeks.

My vet encourages the use of this vaccine although some folks online think this vaccine is a waste of time and money.

So any opinions regarding the use of this vaccine when you plan to spend some time in the woods?

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
If you are in, or will be traveling to, an at risk area, I'd certainly consider it.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Wanted to poll some thoughts regarding the need for this vaccine when traveling to the mountains to go hiking for a few weeks.

My vet encourages the use of this vaccine although some folks online think this vaccine is a waste of time and money.

So any opinions regarding the use of this vaccine when you plan to spend some time in the woods?
I'm kind of on the outside looking in on this particular issue.

Up until very recently Lyme was not a tick borne disease that was a problem in the Northwest (and California either I think). Oregon and Washington have a different tick and it doesn't even have a vaccine as far as I know but I think it doesn't cause all of the problems that Lyme disease does.

Don't know about Florida--but if your vet recommends it you might talk to him further and see how common Lyme is in your neck of the woods.

If there is a significant amount I'd vaccinate. If not I wouldn't. Because Lyme hasn't been, until recently an issue in the Pacific Northwest the clinic I have worked for, for years doesn't recommend it.

What woods--in Florida? I think Lyme is a reportable disease--your local county maybe or state at least should have records of reported cases of Lyme. I'd check that out.

Good luck. ABTLH

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,830 Posts
I think the question was because of a planned trip up north to see the colors??

But I have no input because Lyme's is not something we've typically had to worry about here.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm kind of on the outside looking in on this particular issue.

Up until very recently Lyme was not a tick borne disease that was a problem in the Northwest (and California either I think). Oregon and Washington have a different tick and it doesn't even have a vaccine as far as I know but I think it doesn't cause all of the problems that Lyme disease does.

Don't know about Florida--but if your vet recommends it you might talk to him further and see how common Lyme is in your neck of the woods.

If there is a significant amount I'd vaccinate. If not I wouldn't. Because Lyme hasn't been, until recently an issue in the Pacific Northwest the clinic I have worked for, for years doesn't recommend it.

What woods--in Florida? I think Lyme is a reportable disease--your local county maybe or state at least should have records of reported cases of Lyme. I'd check that out.

Good luck. ABTLH

Not hiking in Florida.
Taking a trip to Cooper’s national Park within Morgantown West Virginian for a couple of weeks.
We will be hiking in that forest daily.

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,564 Posts
We did when we hiked more. Never had any ticks ON her but I wanted that extra bit of protection since lyme is such an issue around here and in states north of us.

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Super Moderator
21,134 Posts
We're in an area with a lot of ticks and a lot of lyme. I've had a lot of conversation with my vet. The lyme vaccine isn't incredibly effective, but it's not...completely ineffective. I decided with my vet's input that the level of effectiveness wasn't high enough for me to give the vaccine.

HOWEVER, I do NOT mess around with not using tick preventatives, I don't do "natural", etc. There is no way that I will add to the level of risk with my dogs. Had a ton of discussion with my vet about what works best in our area, what the true levels of risk are with different tick preventatives (verses the hype online - people like to share all kinds of horror stories that they heard from friends of friends). Make an educated decision. Make sure you discuss the literature on true side effects verses the risk of the area you are going to. I've pulled several ticks off ME this year and my dogs and I don't do hikes in like, THICK woods. I chose to use Bravecto because it is one of the most effective tick repellents in our area, my vet has used it with many, many clients for quite a few years now, with absolutely zero serious side effects. The amount of serious tick borne disease she sees is much much higher.

So, there's my two cents :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
We live in thick woods and pull many ticks off of us and the dog even in the dead of winter. So we do the vaccine as well as Frontline. One of the previous owners of our home contracted Lyme Disease, so we just aren't taking chances.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
I personally have been vaccinated against Lyme Disease.

Lived with an avid hunter and even if he took his clothes off in the garage and went to the basement to shower the ticks would inevitably end up upstairs.

Didn't kill me!

Probably need to be re-vaccinated because it's been over 10 years.

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
I live in SE Pennsylvania, and don't do the Lyme vaccine on any of my dogs. Many years ago, my vet told me that he would rather deal with the disease than do the vaccine. My dogs have bloodwork every year and one of the things that is checked is tick born diseases. I've had two come down with lymes, and I've treated it. We do treat our yard, but I generally pull off several ticks a year.

·
Big Lil pup
6,120 Posts
Well, since this conversation was bumped:

We really don't have a Lyme disease problem here in Western Oregon/Washington and our dogs don't really travel. As a result, our vet has always recommended against vaccination for Lyme.

Come to think of it.... Up until recently (due to my recent physical limitations), our dogs and I spent a considerable amount of time in the outdoors, including mountains, high desert, the coast and river gorges and I cannot remember ever picking off a single tick from any of us.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts